Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Carnesville, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Carroll’s Methodist Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, August 22, 2012
Carroll’s Methodist Church Marker
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-4 — Carroll’s Methodist Church< ---- 2 mi. ---- <<<
This church, instituted in 1797, was named for the Wm. Carroll family, among its first members. The present building, erected about 1835, was restored in 1951-52 under the leadership of Bishop John H. Baker. Rev. Nelson Osborn (1797-1873) was a . . . — Map (db m58796) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-3 — Carroll's Methodist Church>>>>--- 2½ mi. --->
Instituted in 1797, this church was named for the William Carroll family, among its first members. Families identified with the church through the years are McWhorters, Osborns, Starrs, Stones, Browns, Burtons, Sewells, Jacksons, Hemphills, Deans, . . . — Map (db m26502) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-6B — Double Branches Baptist Church>>>-- 1/2 mi. -->
Constituted in 1801 this church had 19 charter members. First a member of the Serepta Association, it was one of 13 churches to form the Tugalo Association in 1818. Some members came many miles in wagons and buggies to attend its services. Among the . . . — Map (db m26487) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-1 — Franklin County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 25, 1784, is named for Benjamin Franklin, Revolutionary patriot and statesman. It was formed from lands obtained from the Indians by the Treaty of Augusta, 1783. Capt. James Terrell of the . . . — Map (db m27043) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-6 — Hebron Presbyterian Church>>>>--- 2 mi. --->
Hebron Presbyterian Church was organized in 1796 by Rev. John Newton, a native of Pennsylvania. Rev. Thomas Newton, a younger brother, was the first pastor. First elders were John McEntire and Samuel Makie, natives of Ireland, and Thomas Mayes and . . . — Map (db m26429) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 59-2 — Old Federal Road Historic District
Development along Indian trails of the Old Federal Road began in the early 19th century to improve transportation between South Carolina and Tennessee. Although European settlement in this area began in the late 1700s, the road increased populations . . . — Map (db m15020) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-5 — Poplar Springs Methodist Camp Ground
Camp meetings have been held here each year, from 1832,except four years during the War Between the States. The 50-acre plot, “extending one-half mile in every direction from the preacher’s stand,” was purchased by from Daniel and Jacob . . . — Map (db m26490) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement