Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clayton, Delaware Historical Markers

 
Byrd's Africian Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, October 13, 2019
Byrd's Africian Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Delaware (Kent County), Clayton — KC-112 — Byrd's Africian Methodist Episcopal Church
In the early 1890s Clayton was home to an increasing population of African-Americans, many of whom were railroad workers. Byrd's African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was built in 1894 to accommodate this growing community who previously had . . . — Map (db m141340) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Clayton — KC-74 — Site of Blackiston Methodist Church
A local society of Methodists was organized circa 1778. On May 16, 1781, they obtained land here on which to build a permanent house of worship. A large frame church was then constructed and named Blackiston's Chapel, to honor the family that . . . — Map (db m40190) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Clayton — KC-59 — Town of Clayton
First known as Smyrna Station, the Town of Clayton began when the railroad came to this area in the mid-1850s. In 1860, the name was changed to honor Delawarean John M. Clayton, a former United States Secretary of State and strong advocate of the . . . — Map (db m39023) HM

3 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
  
 
Paid Advertisement