Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Covington, Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Bicentennial Covington #1 Marker image, Touch for more information
September 14, 2018
Bicentennial Covington #1 Marker
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Bicentennial Covington #1 — Historical Point of View
In 1907, Guido Alexius and his sons Alfred, Cintio and John, founded Alexius Brothers and Company; and later his son Horace joined in the business. In 1915, this landmark establishment, originally a gym, was purchased. Later in the 20th century, . . . — Map (db m124019) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Bicentennial Covington #2 — Historical Point of View
Three rivers and several Indian trails converged in the area where Covington was founded. These major trade routes are what placed Covington at the center of commerce. They became the lifeline of trade and transport between points north of Lake . . . — Map (db m115599) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Christ Episcopal Church
Built 1846 by Jonathan Arthur of London for descendants of English settlers in British West Florida. Consecrated by Bishop Leonidas Polk, April 11, 1847. Christ Church is the oldest public building being used in Covington. — Map (db m99661) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Columbia Street
Columbia Street meets the river at the Columbia Street Landing. It was the first place visitors saw when they arrived in Covington. It was also the last stop on land for the area's principal exports on their way to market via the Bogue Falaya River . . . — Map (db m111591) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Columbia Street Landing — Birthplace of Covington
An active harbor where schooners and steamers once docked. Established in the early 1800's, providing a vital link to other river cities transporting cotton, lumber, bricks, whiskey and mail. Oyster luggers brought fresh oysters regularly through . . . — Map (db m99520) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Courthouse Square and Historic Oaks
Courthouse Square and Historic Oaks These graceful oaks were planted hundreds of years ago, predating the street plan of 1813. The WWI monument seen in the image on the right is all that remains at this site following the demolition of the . . . — Map (db m100636) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Covington
John Wharton Collins donated land and founded Town of Wharton in March, 1813, named for his grandfather, John Wharton. Legislature changed name on March 11, 1816, to Covington, honoring Gen. Leonard Covington, 1812 War hero. — Map (db m98762) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — H.J. Smith and Sons Hardware and Museum — Bicentennial Covington - Historical Point of View
Founded July 4, 1876, H.J. Smith and Sons Hardware and Museum is the oldest hardware and general store in the parish, housing unique artifacts pertaining to the history of Covington. Of note are the dugout cypress canoe and lead coffin. It is a . . . — Map (db m115765) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Original Homestead of Walker Percy
Homestead owned by Walker Percy, who was an American author and philosopher. He is best known for his philosophical novels set in and around New Orleans, the first of which, The Moviegoer, won the U.S. National Book award for fiction. Walker Percy . . . — Map (db m115405) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Public "Ox Lot" Parking — You're in Ox Lot 16
Unique to Covington's downtown business district and a credit to our forefathers, our original town grid layout allowed for public squares in the middle of each block for the purpose of trade and commerce. Farmers would bring their oxen-laden carts . . . — Map (db m98940) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Public "Ox Lot" Parking — You're In Ox Lot 18
Unique to Covington's downtown business district and a credit to our forefathers, our original town grid layout allowed for public squares in the middle of each block for the purpose of trade and commerce. Farmers would bring their oxen-laden carts . . . — Map (db m115782) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Reconstruction Period — Bicentennial Covington - Historical Point of View
During the Reconstruction Period, trade was still slow as the main source of land transportation was still the ox and the wagon. From the mid-1800s, the railroads were primarily used access the area's vast timber reserves, but once built, they were . . . — Map (db m115598) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Saint Peter Church
L'Abbé Jouanneault built the predecessor of St. Peter Church on the Bouge Falaya in 1843. The first resident pastor was Fr. J.M. Giraud, appointed in 1863 to serve Covington, Madisonville, Bedico, and Abita Springs. In 1892 Fr. Joseph Koegerl, . . . — Map (db m98979) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — St. Tammany Parish World War I Memorial
Erected and Dedicated To The Soldiers Of World War I 1920 Restored 2010

By St. Tammany Parish Kevin Davis, Parish President. — Map (db m115380) WM

Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — The Covington Bank and Trust Building — Circa 1885
Probably the most significant economic development, not only for Covington but for the parish as a whole, was the establishment of the bank. The Covington Bank & Trust was established in these original quarters. It is the oldest commercial building . . . — Map (db m100622) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — The Southern Hotel
At the turn of the 20th century, Covington was famous for its healthful, healing environment. Excursionists came by schooner and by rail to breathe the pine-scented air and drink the pure waters. To accommodate the many guests, Covington, like other . . . — Map (db m103558) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Covington — Walker Percy — (1916-1990)
Covington resident, where he wrote, among others, Lancelot, The Second Coming, Love in the Ruins, The Thanatos Syndrome, The Last Gentleman, and The Moviegoer, which won the National Book Award for fiction, co-founder Fellowship of . . . — Map (db m98852) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement