“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Leander, Texas Historical Markers

Old Nameless School image, Touch for more information
By Keith Peterson, July 15, 2007
Old Nameless School
Texas (Travis County), Leander — 14580 — Site of Community of Nameless
First surveyed in the 1850s, this area attracted numerous settlers by 1868. A community grew up, and in 1880 townspeople applied for a post office. After postal authorities rejected six names, the citizens replied in disgust, “Let the post . . . — Map (db m26161) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9369 — "Webster Massacre"
Here sleep the victims of the "Webster Massacre" of August 27, 1839 About thirty homeseekers headed by John Webster enroute to what is now Burnet County, were attacked by a band of Comanche Indians After attempting to flee . . . — Map (db m60279) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 13802 — A. S. Mason House
Local farmer Alpheus S. Mason (1839–1926) constructed this house about 1866. Situated on Bagdad Road, an important early military and commercial route in central Texas, the home features a double-galleried porch with Victorian detailing. . . . — Map (db m2204) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9030 — Bagdad Cemetery
Opened 1857 with burial of 3-year-old John Babcock, whose father Charles later gave tract to community. Other early burials were Civil War veteran John Haile and Col. C. C. Mason. Leander, founded 1882 when railroad bypassed Bagdad, shares use of . . . — Map (db m101677) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9104 — Heinatz Homestead
Built in fall of 1850, along with adjoining store and post office, all of native stone, by John Frederick Heinatz (1822-91), a settler from Germany. He was for many years postmaster of Bagdad, a public school trustee, superintendent of Sunday . . . — Map (db m4255) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9259 — Leander
Leander grew from the once thriving town of Bagdad, founded in 1854 (1 mi. W). when the Austin & Northwestern Railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882, a new town was surveyed and named for railroad official Leander Brown (1817-89). Homes and businesses . . . — Map (db m69261) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9261 — Leander Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1857 by the Rev. R. M. Overstreet, this church was originally known as Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church and was located in the town of Bagdad. When the new railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882 and the town of Leander was founded on the . . . — Map (db m101656) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9288 — Leander Schools
The origin of the Leander school system can be traced to the 1855 school held in Bagdad, the pre-Civil War community that disappeared after Leander was founded along the railroad. In 1893, a free public school opened in the new community. Business . . . — Map (db m69263) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9289 — Leander United Methodist Church
This church was organized about 1860 in the nearby community of Bagdad (1 mi. W). Early worship services were conducted by local preachers and missionaries in a log schoolhouse and a Masonic lodge hall before a sanctuary was constructed there in . . . — Map (db m101654) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9260 — Leanderthal Lady
On Dec. 29, 1982, Texas Highway Department archeologists uncovered the skeleton of a pre-historic human female at the Wilson-Leonard Brushy Creek Site (approx. 6 mi. SE). Because of the proximity of the grave site to the town of Leander, the . . . — Map (db m114979) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9313 — Norton Moses Lodge No. 336, A.F. & A.M.
Organized in the Williamson County community of Bagdad, this Masonic Lodge was chartered formally in 1871. It was named for Norton Moses, who participated in the group's formation. A lodge building, constructed in 1870, also served as a community . . . — Map (db m101653) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9321 — Pickle-Mason House
Master carpenter Andrew Porter Pickle (1833-1908) built this house for his family in 1871. It remained in the Pickle family until 1913, when it was sold to Augusta K. and Sarah Zora Mason Davis. Following their deaths, it remained in the family. The . . . — Map (db m24931) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9033 — Site of a Block House
Built by Texas Rangers under Captain John J. Tumlinson in 1836. Destroyed by Indians in 1837. This was the first white man’s post in Williamson County. — Map (db m101641) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9368 — Webster Massacre
1 ¾ miles east to the graves of the victims of the Webster Massacre which occurred August 27, 1839 when John Webster and a party of about thirty, en route to a land grant in Burnet County, were attacked by a band of Comanche Indians. After . . . — Map (db m69260) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.