15 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Middletown
By William Pfingsten, August 10, 2008
Commodore Thomas Macdonough Home?
|Early home of Commodore Thomas Macdonough. Hero of Battle of Lake Champlain 1814. Born 1783. Died 1825. Commodore 1813. Assisted Commodore Decatur in capturing and burning the "Philadelphia" off the coast of Tripoli, 1804. Original name of village . . . — — Map (db m10305) HM|
|Near this location were the farms of John Alston (1794-1872) and John Hunn (1818-1894), cousins who shared the Quaker faith and were well documented operatives on Delaware's Underground Railroad. John Alston sometimes employed fugitives as laborers . . . — — Map (db m88341) HM|
|This home was once the residence of Joshua Clayton (1744-1798), an eminent physician and distinguished government leader in post-Revolutionary Delaware. After attending the University of Pennsylvania he established a successful local practice and . . . — — Map (db m10699) HM|
|The Louis L. Redding Comprehensive High School opened in 1953 and served African American students in grades 1-12 in the Middletown area. It replaced the smaller Middletown School 120-C, a three-room wood structure on East Lake Street. The school . . . — — Map (db m141497) HM|
|Here lie the remains of the family of James McDonough, an Irish immigrant who purchased land at this location in 1748. Seven children were raised here by James and his wife Lydia. Their eldest, Thomas McDonough, was a prominent local physician. In . . . — — Map (db m92152) HM|
|Beginning in the 1690s, settler Adam Peterson and his family acquired several tracts of land here. One tract, surveyed in 1733, was given the name "Middletown." The origin of the name is believed to derive from the area's location at the middle . . . — — Map (db m155566) HM|
|In 1824 area residents petitioned the General Assembly for a lottery to erect a building for education and public worship. Construction of the Academy began in 1826 and was completed the next year. For many years the building served as the center of . . . — — Map (db m155748) HM|
In honor of the men who served in
the World War and in memory of
Rupert M. Burstan, Capt. U.S.M.C.
John J. Hoffecker, 9th.Inft.
E. Davis Manlove, 59th.Pioneers
Jeremiah Jackson, colored I.R.D. — — Map (db m155567) WM|
|As early as 1705 a log chapel was established at "Appoquinimy" by the S.P.G. with the Rev. Thomas Jenkins appointed its first missionary, 1708. Queen Anne of England, for whom the Church was named, is said to have been a patron. This church was . . . — — Map (db m155563) HM|
|William Lloyd Nelson was born near Dover, Delaware, on February 22, 1918. He was the son of J. Clarence and Carrie Phillips Nelson. Following his family's move to a farm near Middletown, he was educated in the public schools of the community. He . . . — — Map (db m155759) HM|
|1682 - 1932
This tree was living when
came to Pennsylvania
White Oak, Quercus Alba
Girth Breast High, 1932, 14ft. 4 ins. — — Map (db m73845) HM|
|Three Welsh members of the St. George's Anglican Church were reinterred here on Jun 20, 1937, the 232nd anniversary of St. Anne's Parish. Their remains were removed from the church cemetery when the C & D Canal was widened in 1937. — — Map (db m73846) HM|
|Chartered on June 24, 1765 by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania A.Y.M., Lodge No. 5 at Cantwell's Bridge (later known as Odessa) became the first Masonic lodge established in Delaware. The lodge was admitted to membership under the Grand Lodge of . . . — — Map (db m155836) HM|
|Approximate southern boundary of tract of thirty thousand acres granted by William Penn to the Welsh in 1701. It included what is now Pencader Hundred, Delaware, and a part of Cecil County, Maryland. — — Map (db m143607) HM|
|David Witherspoon, born in Ireland, built this tavern in 1761 as a midpoint between waterways to the east and west. While traveling to the Continental Congress, Thomas Jefferson lodged here on June 20, 1775. George Washington also dined at the . . . — — Map (db m155564) HM|