Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mishawaka, Indiana Historical Markers

 
Ball-Band Factory Marker (Introduction) image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, April 2, 2013
Ball-Band Factory Marker (Introduction)
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — Ball-Band Factory
Introduction This monument, overlooking the site of the former Ball-Band factory on the south bank of the St. Joseph River, pays tribute to the thousands of men and women who labored there. The swift-flowing waters of the river . . . — Map (db m64088) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1997.2 — Battell Park
Mishawaka's oldest park, circa 1860s; given to city (1881) by members of Battell family. Features include Civil War soldiers monument (1884); neoclassical copper-domed, brick and limestone bandshell commemorating WWI (1927); exceptional Works . . . — Map (db m61835) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1999.1 — Dodge Manufacturing Company
Wallace H. Dodge (1849-1894) founded company 1878; made wood products; moved to this site 1880. Patented wood split pulley 1882, revolutionary for standardized, interchangeable parts. Its innovative products have led to advances in power . . . — Map (db m61832) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1968.2 — First Bridge
The first bridge across the St. Joseph River was built at this place in 1837 at a cost of $2499 and was paid for by popular subscription. The bridge replaced a ferry which had operated here from 1834. First bridge replaced by the red, covered bridge . . . — Map (db m64085) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1968.1 — First Dam Across The St. Joseph River / Power Race
First Dam Across The St. Joseph River The original dam, providing power for which Mishawaka was noted, was completed in 1837. It was 577 feet long, 24 feet thick and cost $38,000.00.

Power Race Along this race, providing water . . . — Map (db m54742) HM

Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — Historic Cross Relocation
SISTERS OF THE HOLY CROSS Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center "Historic Cross Relocation" Dedicated April, 2012 In September 2010, this 30-foot stainless steel cross was removed from our 22-acre hospital campus in . . . — Map (db m68782) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1995.1 — Kamm & Schellinger Brewery
Kamm and Schellinger Brewery is significant in the industrial heritage of Mishawaka and Indiana. First structures built 1853; expansions in late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Incorporated in 1883; beer production ended in 1951. Listed in . . . — Map (db m65463) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — Mishawaka Civil War Soldiers Monument
(Monument Base) Erected September 1884 Shiloh - Mobile - Chickamauga - Vicksburg (Facing East) Erected by the citizens of Penn Township, St. Joseph County, Indiana, to commemorate the bravery and patriotism of her . . . — Map (db m61851) WM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — Mishawaka Fish Ladder
St. Joseph River Trout and Salmon Project The Mishawaka Fish ladder is an integral part of the St. Joseph River Trout and Salmon Project. This Project was conceived in the 1970's by the Indiana and Michigan Departments of Natural . . . — Map (db m76352) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1976.1 — Mishawaka High School
Mishawaka's first public high school was opened in 1874 with an enrollment of sixty students. Accredited in 1876, the school graduated its first class in June, 1878. The original building was a three-story red brick structure at First and Hill . . . — Map (db m64087) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — Mishawaka Wars of the Nation Memorial
. . . — Map (db m61852) WM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — Mother Angela Gillespie, C.S.C.1824 - 1887
She was someone who was greatly respected, both within and outside of the congregation. A Civil War physician and historian wrote of Mother Angela: "In every army and battlefield in the west she and her sisters were found. She established field . . . — Map (db m68783) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1997.1 — Normain Heights Subdivision
Veterans' Homes of Mishawaka, Inc., founded by veterans, 1946, built (1947-1949) to counter housing shortage after World War II. 315 houses built on battle-named streets to seven designs; innovative features: aluminum siding, complete kitchen and . . . — Map (db m61834) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — Perkins Windmill
This restored windmill was originally gifted by John M. Perkins to the Studebaker National Museum in 1979. The Museum conveyed it to the City in 2003. This iconic artifact is part of our proud manufacturing heritage, and a good reminder of our . . . — Map (db m76353) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1965.1 — Sisters of the Holy CrossCivil War Nurses
1861–1865. In response to Governor Morton’s call of October 1861, eighty Sisters of the Holy Cross under the leadership of Mother Angela served as military nurses. The Sisters became the forerunners of the Navy Nurse Corps in 1862 when . . . — Map (db m1669) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — Sisters of the Holy Cross Marker Relocation
This historical marker was originally located at our South Bend Saint Joseph Hospital Campus, and was "dedicated" there in October of 1965. It was removed to accommodate the demolition of all of the existing buildings to make space for the new Saint . . . — Map (db m68784) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1968.4 — St. Joseph Iron Works
At this site Alanson M. Hurd, a Detroit, Michigan, businessman, built the first successful iron blast furnace in Indiana. The town he platted in 1833 on the south bank of the river was called the St. Joseph Iron Company. On February 17, 1838, the . . . — Map (db m64086) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1968.3 — The Mishawaka Academic and Normal Institute1846 - 1868
Opposite the south end of Main Street at 4th Street stood the two-storied, red brick Institute Building, where the Mishawaka Academic and Normal Institute classes were held. This was a Free school for Mishawaka children and a Select school for . . . — Map (db m61833) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement