Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Petaluma, California Historical Markers

 
"Dos Piedras" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, April 26, 2013
"Dos Piedras" Marker
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — "Dos Piedras"
To the east, at the top of the ridge, sits the landmark “Dos Piedras”, erroneously translated into “two rock”, between which ran the main Indian trail from Bodega Bay to the inland valley and to the Sierra. The rocks also . . . — Map (db m64810) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — Bill Soberanes
August Courier columnist and peopleologist. Petaluma's number one booster. Founder of the World Wist Wrestling Championship and numerous other events. Trade mark - He's been photographed with more famous, infamous, usual and unusual people than . . . — Map (db m85590) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — Cases Horseshoeing
Original building Constructed in 1851 Home to Cases Horseshoeing and others. June 24, 2006 Destroyed by fire Raised again in 2007 by Jeff & Gro Tomasini & Family Tomasini, Rex, Ace Hardware Country Store established 1907 . . . — Map (db m85593) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — Lakeville-Donahue Landing
There was once a large lake in the valley to the east. Early Indian settlers called it Lake Tolay, after their former chief; hence the name Lakeville for the community that developed on this site. The first boat landing was built in 1853. Passengers . . . — Map (db m78065) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — Petaluma Historical Library and Museum
The "Old Carnegie Library", begun in 1904, served Petaluma from 1906 until the new library was built in 1976. This first major building by local architect Brainerd Jones is noted for its freestanding dome with stained glass, and use of locally . . . — Map (db m17580) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — Sergeant Richard A. PenryUnited States Army
The President of the United States of America authorized by Act of Congress, March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of the Congress the Medal of Honor to Sergeant Richard A. Penry United States Army for conspicuous gallantry and . . . — Map (db m85588) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — Stormy's
Today, Stormy's restaurant is one of the oldest roadhouses in the West. Originally constructed in 1854 as Big Valley Inn, it was one of four hotels and stagecoach stops in the town of Bloomfield, which at the time was considered for the Sonoma . . . — Map (db m110415) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — The Willow Creek Inn(AKA Willowbrook Ale House)
In 1907, Mr. Herman C. Bartelt purchased what was then known as the Willow Brook Hotel from Mrs. Ellen Hayne, widder of William Harvey Hayne, who had purchased the property sometime prior to 1900. It was located at Corona Corners until the city saw . . . — Map (db m92931) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — 18 — Vallejo’s Petaluma Adobe← 6 Miles
Built by General M.G. Vallejo, 1834–1844, and known as Casa Grande. According to General Vallejo, “building was of immense proportions with different departments for factories and warehouses.” — Map (db m2564) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — 18 — Vallejo's Petaluma Adobe
Petaluma Adobe served as the center for General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo’s 66,000-acre working rancho from 1836-1846. It was once the largest privately owned adobe building in northern California; Vallejo sold the building and surrounding acres in . . . — Map (db m71981) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — Volpi's Grocery
This building which was built around 1900 has always housed a grocery store. The business was purchased in 1925 by the Volpi family. This grocery store was also a place where one could get a drink during Prohibition. When the local ranchers brought . . . — Map (db m54609) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — Washoe HouseErected 1859
Located on Spanish grant Roblar de la Miseria. The pioneer hostelry was built by Robert Ayres and served as a stage coach station between Petaluma, Santa Rosa and Bodega during the early days of Sonoma County. — Map (db m78069) HM
California (Sonoma County), Petaluma — 2009-2 — Wilmar Union Elementary School District And Wilson Elementary School
Wilson Elementary School was established in 1863 to serve the ranch families of West Petaluma. In 1908 a larger school was needed. The new school housed 4 or 5 classrooms and an auditorium. A picture of this school, designed by locally famous . . . — Map (db m78070) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.