In 1882, six German friars from St. Boniface monastery in Scipio, Kansas, founded a new Carmelite monastery at Grelton Station, halfway between Fort Worth and El Paso on the Texas & Pacific Railroad. They renamed the station Marienfeld and . . . — — Map (db m86548) HM
Constructed in 1882 as a two-room home for Carmelite Priests, this was the first building in Stanton. Dennis and Mary (Stoeger) Connell made their home here after their marriage in 1902. Mary bore eight children in the house, which grew with the . . . — — Map (db m86549) HM
Early Methodists in Stanton shared a Union church building with area Baptists. In 1904, following a local revival, nine individuals formed a separate Methodist congregation. The Rev. J.A. Sweeney, a Conference-appointed pastor, came the next year. . . . — — Map (db m86552) HM
About 1900, J. E. and Nettie (Bell) Millhollon trailed their cattle from Glasscock to Martin County, acquiring this homesite and 34 sections of land. Business and church leaders in Stanton, the couple had this house erected in 1907 by N. H. Hunt of . . . — — Map (db m86553) HM
Former name of Stanton. Begun as German colony by 5 German Catholics from Kansas, who pitched tents here, near new Texas & Pacific Railroad in 1881.
The site -- with a water tank, section house, telegraph office - bore name Grelton, but settlers . . . — — Map (db m86537) HM
On lower great plains of west Texas. Formed from Young and Bexar territories. Created Aug. 21, 1876, and organized Nov. 4, 1884. Named for Wyly Martin, member of Austin's colony and Texas patriot.
County seat established by the first . . . — — Map (db m120586) HM
The cell block of this jail was originally included in the 1885 Martin County Courthouse, built the year after the organization of Martin County when Stanton was known as Marienfeld. When the courthouse was torn down following a 1908 bond election, . . . — — Map (db m86546) HM
With the purpose of founding a monastery and a German Catholic colony, Carmelite Monks, in 1881, began the first Catholic church between Fort Worth and El Paso. The adobe and brick monastery was completed in 1884, and St. Joseph's Church in 1885.
. . . — — Map (db m86547) HM
At the turn of the 20th century, a group of Stanton-area residents who belonged to the Church of Christ met in homes and in the Stanton school for worship. In 1904, Brother Price Billingsley from Abilene led a gospel meeting that prompted the . . . — — Map (db m86551) HM