On Savannah Highway (U.S. 25/301) at Fishing Road, on the left when traveling east on Savannah Highway.
The Franklin Tree (Franklinia Altamaha)
was discovered by John Bartram, the
first Native American Botanist, on
October 1, 1765.It was located about
18 miles south of here in the swamp
lands of the Altamaha River.This tree
was named after . . . — — Map (db m15083) HM
At this point, two historic roads, the Darien to Milledgeville and the King Road, merged to form what is now Highway 301. The Darien to Milledgeville Road, established before 1816, later became a part of the Darien to Macon Stage Road. The King . . . — — Map (db m15222) HM
On US 301 near Jones Creek Loop, on the right when traveling south.
Jones Creek Baptist Church was constituted April 22, 1810, at the Jones Creek Meeting House near this site.
Original members of this church, all former members of Beards Creek Baptist Church were: Charles Flowers, James Clark, Levi Morgan, John . . . — — Map (db m15532) HM
This County, created by Act of the Legislature August 14, 1920, is named for Dr. Crawford W. Long who first used ether as an anaesthetic in a surgical operation, at Jefferson, Ga., March 30, 1842. Born in Danielsville Nov. 1, 1815, Dr. Long was a . . . — — Map (db m15085) HM
Altahama River borders Long County and
was a boundry between the Indians and
early settlers. During the Revolutionary
War, Fort Telfair at Beard's Bluff provided
safety for the colonists. Frontiersmen
made a living cutting trees. They . . . — — Map (db m15897) HM
On Georgia Route 57 at milepost 19 at Old Barrington Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 57. Reported missing.
At this point, Highway 99 crosses the Old Barrington Road. A trail used by Indians centuries before the coming of the white men, this road was an important trade route between the Carolinas and Florida in the early 1700’s. With the settlement of . . . — — Map (db m58221) HM
On Savannah Highway (U.S. 25/301) at Fishing Road, on the right when traveling east on Savannah Highway.
On Dec 1, 1864, while General Sherman's army was on its destructive march to the Sea, the Fourth Brigade, Georgia Militia, Brig. Gen. H. K. McKay, reached Morgan's Lake (0.7 mile SE) to defend the Savannah and Gulf (ACL) RR bridge over the Altamaha . . . — — Map (db m4853) HM
On Tibet Road at Sandy Run Road, on the right when traveling south on Tibet Road.
This church was the first colony to go out from old Midway Congregational Church. The first building was erected in 1820 on land donated by Andrew Walthour. The present one, constructed near the original site in 1884, replaced buildings destroyed by . . . — — Map (db m58139) HM