Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montague County Texas Historical Markers

 
Elmwood Cemetery Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Larry D. Moore
Elmwood Cemetery Marker Area
Texas (Montague County), Bowie — 16324 — Elmwood Cemetery
On East Nelson Street north of Pelham Street, on the right when traveling north.
Early settler James W. Stallings donated the first portion of land for the establishment of a cemetery for area residents at this site in 1880. Two years later, the town of Bowie was platted near the cemetery site, along the route of the Fort Worth . . . — Map (db m119325) HM
Texas (Montague County), Bowie — 1791 — First National Bank of Bowie
On West Tarrant Street at North Mason Street (Texas Highway 59), on the right when traveling west on West Tarrant Street.
The oldest financial institution in Montague County, this bank was chartered on March 10, 1890, eight years after the town of Bowie was created on the line of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. Beginning with an initial capital of $50,000, it . . . — Map (db m88890) HM
Texas (Montague County), Bowie — 2521 — Home County of Governor James V. Allred (March 29, 1899-Sept. 24, 1959)
Near U.S. 81 south of Adkins Street when traveling south.
Vigorous, forthright and humane Chief Executive of Texas in years 1935-1939. Born in Bowie, one of nine children of Renne and Mary Henson Allred worked in youth as a soda pop bottler, shoeshine boy, newsboy. Attended local schools, Rice University, . . . — Map (db m120183) HM
Texas (Montague County), Bowie — 3437 — Montague County
Near U.S. 81 south of Adkins Street when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m119787) HM
Texas (Montague County), Montague — 18666 — Montague Catholic Cemetery
On Catholic Cemetery Road 0.5 miles east of 455, on the left when traveling east.
Settlers from mountain provinces of Northern Italy began arriving in Montague in the early 1880s. The families of Barretto Raimondi, Jack Fenoglio, Antonio Perona and Charlie Corado were among the earliest here. By the early 1900s, there were as . . . — Map (db m118540) HM
Texas (Montague County), Montague — 5604 — United Methodist Church of Montague
On State Highway 59 at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 59.
In 1872 The Rev. John F. Denton, a Methodist missionary, preached in Montague. The next year four members under the leadership of The Rev. Joseph Clinton Weaver (1846-1924) began this fellowship. W.T. and E.A. Waybourn deeded two acres in 1878 on . . . — Map (db m121573) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — 789 — Central Christian Church
On Cooke Street at East Elm Street, on the right when traveling north on Cooke Street.
This sanctuary was constructed in 1894, six years after Central Christian Church was founded by The Rev. M.F. Smith. Built by craftsmen Roger Brothers and R. Chenowith, the Gothic Revival structure was one of the first of its style to appear in this . . . — Map (db m119338) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — Cotton Gin & Grist Millstones
Near U.S. 82, on the right when traveling east.
Millstones used at Josh Howard Cotton Gin and Gristmill located mile west of Bonita, Texas Circa 1878-1900 — Map (db m96912) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — Frontier Montague County Trails & Mail Routes
On U.S. 82 0.3 miles from Hillcrest Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Side 1 With this marker the curtain of time has been removed. The trails and mail routes made across the county by traders, prospectors, soldiers, homesteaders, stagecoach drivers, surveyors, freighters and drovers with their . . . — Map (db m96910) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — 4219 — Red River Station / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense C.S.A. / 1861 — 1865
On U.S. 82 east of Hillcrest Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Front Red River Station C.S.A. Established 9 miles northwest 1861 as Civil War outpost near major buffalo and Indian crossing local soldiers, determined to guard edge of settlement against Indian . . . — Map (db m96689) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — 4922 — Site of the 1759 Taovayo Victory Over Spain
On 4th Street (Farm to Market Road 103 Spur) at Myrtle Street, on the right when traveling east on 4th Street.
Col. Diego Ortiz Parilla, a commandant of Presidio San Saba (near the later site of Menard) had grave Indian problems in 1759. Priests and others were killed in Comanche attacks on Mission San Saba. Comanches and their friends were allied to . . . — Map (db m119479) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — 5000 — Spanish Fort
On 4th Street (Farm to Market Road 103 Spur) at Myrtle Street, on the right when traveling east on 4th Street.
The town of Spanish Fort occupies the site of an ancient Taovayas Indian village. Scene of first severe defeat in Texas of Spanish troops by Indians in 1759. Named Fort Teodoro in 1778 by De Mezieres in honor of Teodoro De Croix, . . . — Map (db m119481) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — Head of Elm (Saint Jo) Historic Camp Site —
On South Broad Street at East Howell Street, on the left when traveling south on South Broad Street.
Head of Elm (Saint Jo) Historic Camp Site for 1849 Capt. Randolph B. Marcy on Government Survey Trip 1854 Capt. John Pope Surveying Proposed Federal R.R. 1855 U.S. 2nd Cavalry Under Col. Albert Sidney Johnson en . . . — Map (db m96758) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — 17952 — Illinois Bend School
Near State Highway 677 0.1 miles south of Davenport Road, on the left when traveling south.
Located in the bend of the Red River in northeast Montague County, Illinois Bend received an official title in 1877. By the 1890s, Illinois Bend was a thriving community where cotton farming swelled the population. Many churches and schools were . . . — Map (db m87099) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — 5133 — Stonewall Saloon
On South Main Street at East Howell Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
Built 1873 as saloon and trail drivers rest stop. After county prohibition, 1897, housed offices and bank. Named after Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson. Town's first permanent building, originally of native stone. Stuccoed in 1930's; wooden facade added in . . . — Map (db m96756) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — 17563 — The Phillips House
On U.S. 82 0.1 miles east of Derby Street, on the right when traveling west.
In 1873, James Hoback (J.H.) and Margaret Day Phillips moved from Illinois to Texas by wagon train with their children. J.H. was instrumental in the early social, religious and economic development of Saint Jo. He owned and operated a general store . . . — Map (db m128693) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — 5538 — Town of Saint Jo
On East Boggess Street at South Line Street, on the left when traveling east on East Boggess Street.
One of oldest towns in Montague County. Founded in 1850s, during great California Gold Rush, by E.S. and Ithane Singletary (Brothers) and John Hughes, who hoped to find gold here. The community they started became known as "Head of Elm" for its . . . — Map (db m96760) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement