Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clark County Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
The Home of Colby Cheese Marker image, Touch for more information
By Keith L, July 14, 2008
The Home of Colby Cheese Marker
Wisconsin (Clark County), Colby — 161 — The Home of Colby Cheese
On South 1st Street north of West Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north.
At his father's cheese factory about one mile south and one mile west of here, Joseph F. Steinwand in 1885 developed a new and unique type of cheese. He named it for the township in which his father, Ambrose Steinwand, Sr., had built northern Clark . . . — Map (db m9189) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — History of The Big White Pine
On North Meridian Street (County Highway E) south of West Front Street, on the left when traveling north.
This tree was a landmark near the Iron-Ashland Co. line northeast of Glidden, Wis. The first section of 20 ft. is in Glidden. Les got the next cut of 12 ft. The tree measured 6 ft. on the stump. The tree was 144 ft. high. The first limb was 65 . . . — Map (db m22327) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — The Yellowstone Trail — 1912–1930
On North Meridian Street (County Highway E) north of 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
The first coast-to-coast auto route across the northern tier of states. "A Good Road from Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound" Before 1912 Railroads dominated long distance transportation. Local roads were dust and mud. There was little . . . — Map (db m43262) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Curtiss — Veterans Memorial
On North Meridian Street (County Highway E) north of Bowen Road, on the right when traveling north.
This memorial is solemnly dedicated to our living war veterans and to those who made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m50289) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Dorchester — Dorchester Veterans Memorial
Near Park Drive south of Center Avenue (County Highway A), on the right when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m47677) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Dorchester — S.S. Dorchester Memorial
Near Park Drive 0.4 miles south of Center Avenue (County Highway A), on the right when traveling south.
The Ship Built 1926 Statistics: Length overall · 368' Beam · 52' Draft · 19' Gross tons · 5,649 Speed (knots) · 12 Radius (miles) · 5,500 Propulsion · Recip. eng. Passengers · 788 Cargo (cu. ft.) · 187,250 Jan. 24, . . . — Map (db m29648) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Greenwood — 23 — Mormon Settlements
On North Main Street (State Highway 73) at East Division Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
The Mormons, Clark County's first loggers, came in 1844 and established camps between Wedge's Creek and Greenwood to cut timber for their Illinois city of Nauvoo. After the murder of their leader Joseph Smith at Carthage, Illinois in mid-1844, the . . . — Map (db m103977) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Castner–Mack Cemetery — Est. 1855
On Twenty Six Road 0.3 miles east of County Highway K, on the left when traveling east.
1st Cemetery in the Loyal Township Child of Daniel & Mary Mack 1858 Daniel Mack 1866 13th child of Erastus & Maria Mack 1860 Mary Benedict Mack 1874 Frank Castner 1877 Infant child of John & Lydia Castner 1880 Twin infants of . . . — Map (db m21947) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Loyal Veterans Memorial
On Park Avenue north of West South Street (Wisconsin Highway 98), on the right when traveling north.
All Gave Some Some Gave All This memorial is dedicated to our Loyal area veterans of the past and present for their bravery, service, and sacrifice in times of peace and war while protecting the principles of our United States of America. . . . — Map (db m49534) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Loyal — Samuel Hartford — Soldier of 1812 — 1798 – 1884 —
On Pelsdorf Avenue at Spencer Road, on the right when traveling north on Pelsdorf Avenue.
When a lad of 14 he went as a substitute for his brother in law that his sister and her 7 little ones might not be deprived of a husband and father’s care. Served as Private in N. Y. Militia. Was in Battle of Niagara. Honorably discharged . . . — Map (db m9691) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 1897 Clark County Jail
Near East 5th Street near State Street, on the left when traveling east.
The Clark County Historical Society 1897 Jail Museum has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior December 8, 1978 . . . — Map (db m41452) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 1919 Case Steam Engine
On Willow Street north of East Division Street (U.S. 10), on the left when traveling north.
Originally used for threshing grain in the area by William Neville, this steam engine was owned by Martin "Max" Feuerstein from the 1930s through the 1960s to power a sawmill along 18th Street on Neillsville's northside. This sawmill produced lumber . . . — Map (db m41389) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 42 — Clark County Moraines
Near Ridge Road 0.1 miles west of Clark Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Most of the topographical features to be seen here can probably be attributed to deposits or moraines left when the glacier receded. The castellated hills or mounds northwest of Neillsville are of greater geological significance and interest, . . . — Map (db m9851) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Dickinson-Hoesly House
On State Street south of East 5th Street, on the left when traveling south.
Dickinson-Hoesly House has been recognized as a Historic Landmark by the Neillsville Historic Preservation Commission 1891 (lower plaque) 2012 Wisconsin Centennial Property Build 1891 for Decatur and . . . — Map (db m76734) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Fragments — Wisconsin Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Near Ridge Road 0.4 miles west of Clark Avenue.
Honoring the men and women from Wisconsin who served in Vietnam. We left pieces of ourselves in Vietnam. We brought parts of Vietnam home. Each fragmented figure supports the others. A close inspection of the figure with the helmet reveals . . . — Map (db m25146) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Kilroy Was Here
Near Ridge Road 0.4 miles west of Clark Avenue.
During World War II this was a symbol for the American serviceman. Any place in the world where one of them went he would see it. It was found in restrooms, on trucks, tanks, ships, bombed out walls, and almost any place it could be painted, penned, . . . — Map (db m18637) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 41 — Major General Clarence L. Sturdevant — 1885 – 1958
On North Hewett Street (State Highway 73) at East 4th Street on North Hewett Street.
General Sturdevant, chief architect and father of the Alcan Highway, was born in Neillsville and married Beth Youmans of this city. During forty years of devoted service General Sturdevant was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Bronze . . . — Map (db m30863) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — National Native American Vietnam Veterans Memorial — "The Forgotten Warrior"
Near Ridge Road 0.4 miles west of Clark Avenue.
This memorial statue was envisioned to serve as a touchstone where the quiet tears of unresolved grief from mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, relatives and friends could be shed in an honorific setting and be strengthened by the groundswell of . . . — Map (db m29599) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Civil War Memorial
On Walnut Street west of Ash Street.
Erected 1908 by G.A.R. & W.R.C. 1861–1865 — Map (db m38763) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Neillsville Post Office
On Hewett Street at East 6th Street, on the right when traveling north on Hewett Street.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Neillsville Post Office 1937 Henry Morgenthau Jr Secretary of the Treasury . . . — Map (db m47630) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — The Korean War Tribute — Dedicated to those who served
Near Ridge Road 0.4 miles west of Clark Avenue.
We, the Korean Veterans Tribute Committee, designed this tribute to convey to you insight into the hardships and isolation experienced by our troops. The three bronze figures represent bitter cold, extreme heat and seemingly never ending monsoons. . . . — Map (db m78738) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — 560 — The White Pine in Neillsville History
On U.S. 10 0.5 miles west of Wisconsin Highway 73/95, on the right when traveling west.
Side A Neillsville has strong ties to the majestic white pine forests of the Wisconsin Territory. These forests along the Black River and its tributaries drew members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1841. Remembered . . . — Map (db m108558) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Women Airforce Service Pilots Monument
Near Ridge Road 0.4 miles west of Clark Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Women Airforce Service Pilots W.A.S.P. World War II 1942-1944                               Dedicated July 31, 2006Map (db m78703) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Neillsville — Women Veterans Memorial
Near Ridge Road 0.4 miles west of Clark Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
In Honor and Remembrance of the Women of Wisconsin Who Have Served Our Nation Dedicated September 19, 1992 Donated by The Wisconsin Women and Men of Vietnam Veterans of America — Map (db m78718) WM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Stanley — The Worden Church of the Brethren
On North Fernwall Avenue 0.3 miles south of Colby Factory Road, on the right when traveling south.
Site of The Worden Church of the Brethren Erected in 1904 Destroyed by tornado in 1958 Dedicated Sept. 28, 1975 by members and friends — Map (db m22324) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — Liberty Tree Memorial
On South Washington Street (State Highway 73) north of West Prospect Street, on the right when traveling north.
Planted in honor of those who lost their lives in the tragic events on September 11, 2001 The American Liberty elm was named after "The Liberty Tree": Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom. On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people . . . — Map (db m47912) HM
Wisconsin (Clark County), Thorp — 537 — St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony
On Gorman Avenue 0.1 miles north of County Highway X, on the left when traveling north.
St. Hedwig's In 1891, a wooden church was built and named St. Hedwig's for a queen of Poland. In 1904, the present-day structure was built and accommodated the growing congregation with seating for 700 people. Members of the congregation . . . — Map (db m48771) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement