Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battle of Franklin, Eastern Flank
Lewisburg Pike Toll House
These structures usually had permanent residents, employees of the managing companies who collected specific fees for each person, draft animal, and wagon that passed through during daylight hours. The turnpikes themselves were usually ten to twelve feet (three meters) wide, with ditches along the sides for drainage, and surfaces of gravel or tightly-packed small stones that created what were called macadamized roads.
The turnpikes kept state taxes low, but they often frustrated farmers and merchants trekking to markets. On the eighteen-mile trek from Franklin to Nashville, travelers had to stop and pay four times.
The Civil War severely damaged many of these highways, including the Lewisburg Pike. Heavy military
By the end of the century, public funding gradually replaced private construction, and Tennessee’s last tollhouses were closed in 1930.
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 35° 54.519′ N, 86° 51.453′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Eastern Flank Circle, 0.4 miles Lewisburg Pike (Business U.S. 431), on the right when traveling west. Located in Eastern Flank Battlefield Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1368 Eastern Flank Cir, Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Advancing With Scott's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Advancing With Scott's Brigade (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Battle of Franklin (about 500 feet Harpeth River Restoration and Fish Passage (about 500 feet away); Eastern Flank Battlefield Park (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Franklin, Eastern Flank (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Franklin, Eastern Flank (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Advancing With Scott's Brigade (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2017, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 24, 2017, by Brandon Stahl of Fairfax, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.