Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The land which is contained in this 14th L.L. District was ceded by the Creek Indians to Georgia in 1821 and was part of originally Fayette (1821-1828), then Campbell (1828-1931), and now Fulton County. On September 2, 1828, a U.S. Post Office was established at this focal point on the old stage route. Joseph H. Coryell was the first settler who on May 1, 1834, purchased the land which was to become Sandtown Plantation.
During the War Between the States this area was defended by the Confederate Cavalry [CS] of Jackson´s Division. On August 15, 1864, Kilpatrick´s Cavalry of the Federal Army of the Cumberland [US] captured Sandtown and used it as a base for subsequent raids. General Sherman ordered a bridge built across the river at this point and maintained Sandtown as a communications base in the swinging of his Union forces around this S.W. quadrant of Hood´s defenses to strike at
Erected 1962 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-129.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1870.
Location. 33° 43.523′ N, 84° 34.986′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Fulton Industrial Boulevard (Georgia Route 70) and Boat Rock Road SW, on the right when traveling south on Fulton Industrial Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30336, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Owl Rock Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Enroute to Jonesboro (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site: Utoy Post Office (approx. 4.6 miles away); Birthplace of Allison Nelson (approx. 4.7 miles away); Historic Mt. Gilead (approx. 5½ miles away); Mt. Gilead M. E. Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Sweet Water Town Site (approx. 5.8 miles away); Third Division 23rd Corps Attack / Second Division 23rd Corps Attack (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,447 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.