Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Flowery Branch in Hall County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Federal Road

 
 
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 21, 2009
1. Old Federal Road Marker
Inscription.  The route leading west from this point is the Old Federal Road, an early thoroughfare which linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Rights to open the passage were granted informally by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by treaty in 1805. Beginning 10 miles to the east, on the former Cherokee boundary, now the Hall-Jackson county line, the road crossed the Chattahoochee 4 miles to the west at Vann's Ferry and bore northwestward.

This highway was the first vehicular and emigrant route of northwest Georgia.

Andrew Jackson passed here in 1818 during the Seminole War.
 
Erected 2000 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 069-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansRoads & VehiclesWar, US RevolutionaryWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson, and the Georgia Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
 
Location. 34° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
11.803′ N, 83° 54.749′ W. Marker is near Flowery Branch, Georgia, in Hall County. Marker is at the intersection of Atlanta Highway (Georgia Route 13) and Radford Road on Atlanta Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Flowery Branch GA 30542, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. Andrew Jackson (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jackson at Young's Tavern (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Flowery Branch Depot (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historic Redwine (approx. 3.7 miles away); Two Georgia Governors (approx. 7.8 miles away); James Longstreet (approx. 8 miles away); The Historic Piedmont Hotel (approx. 8.3 miles away); Jesse Jewell (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flowery Branch.
 
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stanley and Terrie Howard, July 28, 2009
2. Old Federal Road Marker
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 21, 2009
3. Old Federal Road Marker
Looking northeast on Atlanta Highway, US 23, toward Oakwood and Gainesville
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 21, 2009
4. Old Federal Road Marker
Looking west on the Old Federal Road toward the site of Vann's Ferry, now under the waters of Lake Sidney Lanier (created by the Buford Dam on the Chattahoochee River).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,459 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on November 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on November 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on July 29, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on November 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=24718

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024