Defiance in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
Here, in 1712, was born the
Great Indian chief who in-
cited Pontiac’s Conspiracy.
He federated the tribes and
with the aid of the French
threatened British suprem-
acy. Killed in Illinois in 1769.
Erected 1930 by Ohio Reveolutionary Memorial Commission. (Marker Number C322.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • War, French and Indian • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1712.
Location. 41° 17.373′ N, 84° 21.42′ W. Marker is in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker is on East River Drive (Ohio Route 424) 0.2 miles east of North Clinton Street (Ohio Route 66), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 281 East River Drive, Defiance OH 43512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bark Cabin Home of Coohcoohe (within shouting distance of this marker); French Indian Apple TreePontiac Park (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chief Pontiac (about 600 feet away); Fort Defiance, 1794 (about 700 feet away); Civil War Cannons (about 700 feet away); Spemica Lawba–Johnny Logan (about 700 feet away); Buffalo Were Recorded Here In 1718 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Defiance.
More about this marker. This historical marker is part of the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail series (type C) which was put in place in 1930 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Ohio's Revolutionary War era Battle of Piqua, by the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission.
In order to accomplish this, in 1929 the state of Ohio created the Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission, and then in 1930 this commission created 22 military trails, throughout western Ohio, between Cincinnati, Ohio on the state's southern border and Toledo, Ohio on the state's northern border. Each of these military trails represented the routes, or trails, used by military leaders during either the Revolutionary War, the Indian Wars of 1790 to 1795, or the War of 1812. Each of these military routes connected various related historical sites, that were marked with Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (type C) markers, along each of the military trails.
The routes of these military trails were in turn marked by type A and type B Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission markers that served as directional (type B) and distance (type A) markers.
Originally, back in 1930, there were erected 70 some of these Ohio Revolutionary Memorial
Commission, type C, markers. To date, there are only 20 some of them that have been located and posted on the Historical Marker database. A number of them are presently missing, and presumed to be permanently lost.
Back when this historical marker was first erected, East River Drive was then part of US 24, and had been designated as being part of the network of Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trails.
Also see . . .
1. Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail System. A description of the Revolutionary Memorial Trail System developed by the state of Ohio in 1929 - 1930. (Submitted on June 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
2. Cartographic Map of the (Western) Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail, 1930. This is a link to information provided by the Midpointe Library System. Middletown, Trenton, West Chester, Ohio (Submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,497 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on September 8, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5. submitted on June 27, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.