Near Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wife of Lieut. John Frazier
Lieut. John Frazier
was captured by Indians near this spot in October 1755 and taken to the Miami River. She escaped after eighteen months and made her way back to her home.
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Women.
Location. 39° 37.487′ N, 78° 44.07′ W. Marker is near Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is on Evitts Creek Drive Southeast south of East Industrial Highway (Maryland Route 51), on the right when traveling south. Marker can be seen from Industrial Highway / Oldtown Road (Route 51) southbound. Evitts Creek Drive is a frontage road for Route 51. It is at the cul-de-sac. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12517 Evitts Creek Drive Southeast, Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Memorial Park (approx. 1˝ miles away); Cumberland Surrenders (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cumberland West Virginia (Mineral County) / Maryland (approx. 2.1 miles away in West Virginia); A Canal Boat Replica—The Cumberland (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Regarding Jane Frazier. The Miami river mentioned on the marker in in Ohio, near Dayton, more than 350 miles away.
Also see . . . Red Morning. Book by Ruby Frazier Frey on Amazon.com. Web page has comment by a relative of Jane Frazier. (Submitted on June 21, 2006.)
1. Jane Frazier House
Jane Frazier, wife of Lt. John Frazier, lived in a log house built in 1754 just beyond the Cumberland city limits. It was while returning to her home from the Fort Cumberland Trading Post several miles away that Jane was captured by Indians and taken to the Miami River in Ohio. She escaped and returned 18 months later to learn that her husband had remarried because he thought that she was dead. Jane’s husband took her back and sent his second wife home to her father. A Frazier descendant wrote a book called “Red Morning” telling of Jane’s experiences. The Frazier house was destroyed in the 1960’s, but a marker designates its location. Excerpt from the 2003 Maryland Women’s Heritage
— Submitted June 21, 2006.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,708 times since then and 166 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3. submitted on September 3, 2007, by Judi Romaine of Bloomington, Indiana.