Newburyport in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Approach to Carr's Ferry
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1639.
Location. 42° 49.306′ N, 70° 53.683′ W. Marker is in Newburyport, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (Massachusetts Route 113) and High Street & Jefferson Street when traveling east on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 360 High Street, Newburyport MA 01950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Soldiers and Sailors of Newburyport 1861-1864 (approx. ¼ mile away); “The Volunteer”Soldiers of All Wars Marker (approx. ¼ mile away); The Large Packet Ship Dreadnought (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edward Rawson (approx. half a mile away); The 1873 Train Wreck (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historic 1893 Newburyport Train Station (approx. 1.2 miles away); William Lloyd Garrison (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newburyport.
Also see . . . Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on October 14, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
1. On crossing the Merrimack River.
Although it is very hard to see in these photo, even on an ordinary sunny day, the Merrimack can be a very strong river to cross. If you look carefully at photo #5, you'll see that the boats are all stationary but there's still
— Submitted October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,151 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.