Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Richmond in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Henrico Town

 
 
Henrico Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 11, 2007
1. Henrico Town Marker
Inscription.  In 1611, Sir Thomas Dale established the second English settlement in Virginia called Henrico in honor of Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, son of King James I. The town was located four miles southwest on a peninsula of high land on the James River. A ditch was constructed across the neck of land and a fence surrounded the town. "Henricus Citie" contained "three streets of well-framed houses, a handsome church, store houses, a hospital, and watchtowers." After the Anglo-Powhatan War began in 1622 the town was abandoned. Remaining traces of the land associated with the town comprise Henricus Park in Chesterfield County.
 
Erected 1996 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number V-29.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1611.
 
Location. 37° 26.123′ N, 77° 19.74′ W. Marker is near Richmond, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker is at the intersection of New Market Road (
Henrico Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, August 11, 2007
2. Henrico Town Marker
Shown with markers Action at Osborne's (V-48), Varina (V-33), Proposed First University in English America (V-30), and Pocahontas (V-28).
Click or scan to see
this page online
Virginia Route 5) and Farmers Circle Drive, on the right when traveling west on New Market Road. Located with Action at Osborne's (V-48), Varina (V-33), Proposed First University in English America (V-30), and Pocahontas (V-28) markers. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pocahontas (here, next to this marker); Henrico History (here, next to this marker); Proposed First University in English America (a few steps from this marker); Varina (a few steps from this marker); Action at Osborne's (a few steps from this marker); New Market Heights (within shouting distance of this marker); George Thorpe (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Four Mile Creek Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Henrico Town Marker (relocated) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 26, 2017
3. Henrico Town Marker (relocated)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,434 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   3. submitted on March 26, 2017, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=9612

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 11, 2021