Near Louisville in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Town Plantation
George Galphin of South Carolina received a royal grant of 1,400 acres here in 1767 and established an Indian trading post, cow pens and plantation called Old Town. Under the Galphin, Forsyth and Fitzsimons families the plantation grew to 5,000 acres. The extensive plantation complex was destroyed during Sherman’s March to the Sea in 1864.
The land was jointly owned by Linton Stephens and W.W. Simpson from 1860-1876 when they sold it to W.D. Grant. He farmed the plantation with convict labor under the notorious Convict Lease System. In 1895, H.M. Comer, President of the Central of Georgia R.R., bought the plantation. The extant buildings including two main residences, 25 outbuildings and a grist mill were built by the Comers between 1895 and 1910.
Erected 1980 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 081-16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Sherman''s March to the Sea marker series.
Location. 32° 54.832′ N, 82° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville GA 30434, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bark Camp Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); The 20th Corps (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Bark Camp Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Sherman at Midville (approx. 7.9 miles away); Site of Capitol Building (approx. 8.2 miles away); To Commemorate the Site of the First Permanent Capitol of Georgia (approx. 8.2 miles away); "Yazoo Fraud" (approx. 8.2 miles away); Old State Capitol (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Categories. • 20th Century • Antebellum South, US • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,861 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 31, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.