During the Civil War, thousands of slaves escaped to U.S. Army lines, and more than thirty African Americans from Edgecombe County enlisted in the 35th, 36th, and 37th U.S. Colored Troops, 14th U.S. Colored Heavy Artillery, and U.S. Navy. After the . . . — — Map (db m74138) HM
This marker dedicated on September 1, 2007 memorializes and honors a predominately African American community.
Originally the community was known as around the "Wire" today it is known as the "Y" community. It sprang up in the early 20th . . . — — Map (db m94563) HM
In 1977, Douglas Franklin Davis began his retail career in Rocky Mount. In 1994 he purchased the building and it became Davis Furniture Company. He always believed in a thriving downtown. He owned three area businesses. Davis was a pioneer in the . . . — — Map (db m97981) HM
Operated the Douglas-Armstrong Drug Company in the Douglas Building that he developed circa 1916: prominently located, three blocks west, at the corner of NE Main St, and E Thomas St. It is the anchor building for the Douglas Block and was the . . . — — Map (db m97961) HM
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,
Lived in this residence (1926-1857).
Educator - Brick Junior College (1910-1926).
Booker T. Washington High School (1926-1952).
Historian - Annual Negro History Exhibit . . . — — Map (db m49016) HM
Civil War soldiers and veterans are buried in Calvary Episcopal Churchyard and Old Town Cemetery. Among the
fifty Confederates interred in the churchyard are Gen. William Dorsey Pender and Lt. Col. John L. Bridges. In May 1863,
Pender . . . — — Map (db m45432) HM
(Preface): On July 18, 1863 Union Gen. Edward E. Potter led infantry and cavalry from New Bern to destroy the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad bridge at Rocky Mount. The infantry feinted toward Kinston and retreated to New Bern. Potter raided . . . — — Map (db m31074) HM
(Preface): On July 18, 1861, Union Gen. Edward E. Potter led infantry and cavalry from New Bern to destroy the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad bridge at Rocky Mount. The Infantry feinted toward Kinston and returned to New Bern. Potter . . . — — Map (db m62211) HM
St. Paul A.M.E. Zion Church was organized
on the fourth Sunday in March 1866 under
the leadership of George C. Caine.
The house of worship was erected on the
corner of St. David and Granville Streets
We are grateful to God
for . . . — — Map (db m46638) HM