Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montague County Texas Historical Markers

 
Elmwood Cemetery Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Larry D. Moore
Elmwood Cemetery Marker Area
Texas (Montague County), Bowie — 16324 — Elmwood Cemetery
Early settler James W. Stallings donated the first portion of land for the establishment of a cemetery for area residents at this site in 1880. Two years later, the town of Bowie was platted near the cemetery site, along the route of the Fort Worth . . . — Map (db m119325) HM
Texas (Montague County), Bowie — 1791 — First National Bank of Bowie
The oldest financial institution in Montague County, this bank was chartered on March 10, 1890, eight years after the town of Bowie was created on the line of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. Beginning with an initial capital of $50,000, it . . . — Map (db m88890) HM
Texas (Montague County), Bowie — 2521 — Home County of Governor James V. Allred(March 29, 1899-Sept. 24, 1959)
Vigorous, forthright and humane Chief Executive of Texas in years 1935-1939. Born in Bowie, one of nine children of Renne and Mary Henson Allred worked in youth as a soda pop bottler, shoeshine boy, newsboy. Attended local schools, Rice University, . . . — Map (db m120183) HM
Texas (Montague County), Bowie — 3437 — Montague County
. . . — Map (db m119787) HM
Texas (Montague County), Montague — 18666 — Montague Catholic Cemetery
Settlers from mountain provinces of Northern Italy began arriving in Montague in the early 1880s. The families of Barretto Raimondi, Jack Fenoglio, Antonio Perona and Charlie Corado were among the earliest here. By the early 1900s, there were as . . . — Map (db m118540) HM
Texas (Montague County), Montague — 5604 — United Methodist Church of Montague
In 1872 The Rev. John F. Denton, a Methodist missionary, preached in Montague. The next year four members under the leadership of The Rev. Joseph Clinton Weaver (1846-1924) began this fellowship. W.T. and E.A. Waybourn deeded two acres in 1878 on . . . — Map (db m121573) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — 789 — Central Christian Church
This sanctuary was constructed in 1894, six years after Central Christian Church was founded by The Rev. M.F. Smith. Built by craftsmen Roger Brothers and R. Chenowith, the Gothic Revival structure was one of the first of its style to appear in this . . . — Map (db m119338) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — Cotton Gin & Grist Millstones
Millstones used at Josh Howard Cotton Gin and Gristmill located ¼ mile west of Bonita, Texas Circa 1878-1900 — Map (db m96912) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — Frontier Montague County Trails & Mail Routes
Side 1 With this marker the curtain of time has been removed. The trails and mail routes made across the county by traders, prospectors, soldiers, homesteaders, stagecoach drivers, surveyors, freighters and drovers with their . . . — Map (db m96910) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — 4219 — Red River Station / Texas Civil War Frontier DefenseC.S.A. / 1861 — 1865
Front Red River Station C.S.A. Established 9 miles northwest 1861 as Civil War outpost near major buffalo and Indian crossing local soldiers, determined to guard edge of settlement against Indian . . . — Map (db m96689) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — 4922 — Site of the 1759 Taovayo Victory Over Spain
Col. Diego Ortiz Parilla, a commandant of Presidio San Saba (near the later site of Menard) had grave Indian problems in 1759. Priests and others were killed in Comanche attacks on Mission San Saba. Comanches and their friends were allied to . . . — Map (db m119479) HM
Texas (Montague County), Nocona — 5000 — Spanish Fort
The town of Spanish Fort occupies the site of an ancient Taovayas Indian village. Scene of first severe defeat in Texas of Spanish troops by Indians in 1759. Named Fort Teodoro in 1778 by De Mezieres in honor of Teodoro De Croix, . . . — Map (db m119481) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — Head of Elm(Saint Jo) — Historic Camp Site
Head of Elm (Saint Jo) Historic Camp Site for 1849 Capt. Randolph B. Marcy on Government Survey Trip 1854 Capt. John Pope Surveying Proposed Federal R.R. 1855 U.S. 2nd Cavalry Under Col. Albert Sidney Johnson en . . . — Map (db m96758) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — 17952 — Illinois Bend School
Located in the bend of the Red River in northeast Montague County, Illinois Bend received an official title in 1877. By the 1890s, Illinois Bend was a thriving community where cotton farming swelled the population. Many churches and schools were . . . — Map (db m87099) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — 5133 — Stonewall Saloon
Built 1873 as saloon and trail drivers rest stop. After county prohibition, 1897, housed offices and bank. Named after Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson. Town's first permanent building, originally of native stone. Stuccoed in 1930's; wooden facade added in . . . — Map (db m96756) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — 5538 — Town of Saint Jo
One of oldest towns in Montague County. Founded in 1850s, during great California Gold Rush, by E.S. and Ithane Singletary (Brothers) and John Hughes, who hoped to find gold here. The community they started became known as "Head of Elm" for its . . . — Map (db m96760) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.