Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Palo Pinto County Texas Historical Markers

 
Old Camp Wolters Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Larry D. Moore, June 15, 2018
Old Camp Wolters Marker Area
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Mineral Wells — 12136 — Old Camp Wolters
Established in 1925, Camp Wolters was named for Brigadier General Jacob F. Wolters, commander of the 56th Brigade for the National Guard, and designated a summer training site for horse-mounted cavalry units. The city of Mineral Wells donated fifty . . . — Map (db m119159) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Mineral Wells — 4506 — Sam SavageCaptive of the Comanches
Buried in the nearby Staggs Prairie Cemetery, Sam Savage (1861-1951) was a rancher, farmer, and champion fiddler. At the age of five, he survived a Comanche Indian raid on his father's farm in Parker County and lived in captivity with the Comanches . . . — Map (db m119179) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Mineral Wells — 4931 — Site of the Home in 1855 of Oliver Loving(1813 - - 1867)
First trail driver of Texas cattle - Loving Valley and a county in Texas bear his name — Map (db m119216) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Mingus — 6267 — Joseph Peter Davidson(1823 - 1897)
Born in Giles County, Tennessee, Joseph Peter Davidson moved to Texas and settled in Palo Pinto County about 1856. Davidson established a trading post near this site. In 1865 he started a ranch in present Eastland County and later helped organize . . . — Map (db m97807) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Mingus — 3395 — Mingus Baptist Church
Area Baptists trace their history to 1891, when the Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church congregation was organized with 14 charter members. Originally named for the rural schoolhouse where early worship services were held, the congregation was . . . — Map (db m97805) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Mingus — 4888 — Site of Snake Saloon
Saloons were prominent in the life and history of Thurber and were often settings for union organizational efforts. The first Snake Saloon, located between the drugstore and the livery stable in the center of town, was famous for its massive . . . — Map (db m97808) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Mingus — Thurber Junction and the T&P Railroad Presence
In 1887, before any settlement at this location, a spur track was laid from the Texas and Pacific RR main line to the coal mines two miles south. Originally, this juncture with the main line was called “Coal Mine Junction” and then . . . — Map (db m97806) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Strawn — 393 — Bethel Strawn, C.S.A.
An 1858 settler and leading citizen of Palo Pinto County. Enlisted 1864 in Co. B, 1st Frontier District, Texas State Troops, in Maj. Wm. Quayle’s command. Saw service mainly in keeping down Indian depredations and protecting settlements that were . . . — Map (db m98439) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Strawn — 13990 — Mary Jane Gentry
Born in Boston in 1912, Mary Jane Catherine Gentry became an accomplished educator, historian, author and world traveler. Her 1946 University of Texas Master’s thesis, written under supervision of Walter Prescott Webb, was entitled “Thurber: . . . — Map (db m98397) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Strawn — 3494 — Mount Marion Cemetery
Located on land once owned by William W. Johnson, whose coal mining operations spurred major development in nearby Thurber, this cemetery was named for Johnson’s daughter, Marion, who died at age three. It later became the primary burial ground for . . . — Map (db m98396) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Strawn — 15491 — Strawn
Anglo settlement began in this area, known as North Fork, in 1855. Stephen Bethel Strawn moved here in 1859 and in 1880 donated the right-of-way for the Texas and Pacific Railroad and laid off property for a townsite. The community’s economy was . . . — Map (db m98440) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Strawn — 5138 — Strawn City Hall
The city of Strawn, incorporated in 1917, held its first council meeting in a hall at a local bank building. During an oil, gas, and coal-inspired economic boom the city’s population reached 5,000 in 1920, and in 1921 bonds for a city hall were . . . — Map (db m98441) HM
Texas (Palo Pinto County), Strawn — 12708 — Thomas House
Designed by Dallas architect Thomas J. Galbraith and completed in 1919, this house is an excellent regional example of the Prairie School style of architecture. Its strong historical associations with area ranches and with the Ranger oil boom lend . . . — Map (db m98398) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.