Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Anson, Texas Historical Markers

 
Anson Jones Statue image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, November 8, 2014
Anson Jones Statue
Texas (Jones County), Anson — Anson Jones
Born in Massachusetts January Twentieth 1798 was licensed to practice medicine in 1820. Came to Texas in 1833. Doctor Jones participated in the Battle of San Jacinto 1836 while a surgeon in the army of Texas. He was a member of the Congress of the . . . — Map (db m78967) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 173 — Anson Opera House
Built 1907 by A.W. Johnson and Dr. D. Williams, with Thomas Vetch, contractor. House was site for diverse programs: stock company and Chautauqua productions such as “East Lynn” and “The Klansman” (for which Sheriff Tom . . . — Map (db m78915) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 16003 — Cowboys' Christmas Ball
In 1885, M.G. Rhodes hosted a wedding party and dance at his Star Hotel in Anson. One guest was Larry Chittenden, a salesman and writer visiting his uncle in Jones County. He was so inspired by the dance held that night for the cowboys and ladies . . . — Map (db m78893) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 1826 — First Presbyterian Church Building
The Rev. Donald Frazier and nine charter members organized the First Presbyterian Church of Anson in 1882. This structure, the congregation’s third sanctuary, was built in 1929. After membership declined in the 1970s, the congregation was dissolved . . . — Map (db m78911) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 1880 — First United Methodist Church of Anson
This congregation was organized in 1882 by the Rev. J.C. Strickland, a pioneer Methodist circuit rider. In 1908, during the pastorate of the Rev. W.H. Terry, local builder Thomas Veitch constructed this Romanesque Revival building for the church. . . . — Map (db m78912) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 2006 — Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense
Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. Located 10 mi. east, 9 mi. south on old Butterfield stageline. Upon secession company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles used it as an outpost to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for . . . — Map (db m78966) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 2844 — Jones County
Site of Emigrant Trail, the Frontier Military Road, and Fort Phantom Hill, founded in 1851 to guard the military road.      County created 1858 from Bexar and Bosque counties. Named for Anson Jones (1798–1858), a veteran of San Jacinto, . . . — Map (db m78965) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 12415 — Jones County Courthouse
The Seventh Texas Legislature created Jones County in 1858 and named it for Anson Jones, the last president of the Republic of Texas. The Civil War, Reconstruction, and the area’s untamed wilderness combined to postpone the county’s formal . . . — Map (db m78964) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — Omar BurlesonSeventeenth Congressional District
Born NE of Anson Mar. 19, 1906. Attended AHS, ACU, HSU and Cumberland Univ. Admitted to Texas Bar 1929, Co. Attorney 1931-34, Co. Judge 1934-40, FBI 1940-41, Lt. Comdr. USNR 1942-46, U.S. Congress 1947-78. Died May 14, 1991. — Map (db m78856) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.