Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bartlett, Texas Historical Markers

 
Bartlett Electric Cooperative image, Touch for more information
By Keith Peterson, March 20, 2010
Bartlett Electric Cooperative
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 313 — Bartlett Electric Cooperative
Although the town of Bartlett had regular electric service by 1905, farmers in the surrounding rural area were not supplied with electricity until thirty years later. On May 11, 1935, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed an executive order . . . — Map (db m28816) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 314 — Bartlett Grammar School
By the early 1900s Bartlett had become the railroad center of a prosperous cotton growing region. In 1903 the Bartlett Independent School district was created. By 1906-07 the 5-room schoolhouse here proved inadequate to house the district's . . . — Map (db m29035) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 315 — City of Bartlett
Settlers began moving to this area in the 1830s, when Texas was a Republic, but the town of Bartlett was not established until the 1870s. The founders were J. Edward Pietzsch and Capt. John T. Bartlett, for whom the community was named. In 1882 the . . . — Map (db m29040) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 12393 — Donahoe Community
Colonists settled in the late 1840s along the fertile Donahoe Creek. Samuel Gibbs Leatherman (1799-1888) arrived in 1854 and opened the first mercantile store. He gave land for the cemetery and brought in the first doctor. In 1880 Leatherman donated . . . — Map (db m29073) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 1613 — First Baptist Church of Bartlett
Originally known as Pecan Grove Baptist Church, this fellowship was organized in 1873 by the Rev. M.V. Smith, the Rev. H.I. Kimball, and the Rev. G.W. Baines, great-grandfather of United States President Lyndon Baines Johnson. In 1884 the church was . . . — Map (db m29036) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 12974 — Site of Booker T. Washington School
With overcrowded buildings at the African American school in southwestern Bartlett, the Bartlett trustees bought four buildings from Camp Swift in Bastrop to enlarge the facilities. A bond issue passed in 1948, and plans began for a U-shaped . . . — Map (db m29037) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 2177 — Site of German-English School(50 Yards West)
Established by German immigrants in 1880, the German-English School was an early school in the Bartlett area. First called Indian Creek School, the name was changed due to popular usage and the nature of instruction, which was in English during the . . . — Map (db m29039) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 5038 — St. John Lutheran Church
The first Lutheran worship services in this area were held at the home of early German settler J.E. Pietzsch, who had moved from Austin County. In 1880 a small school and church building was erected on land donated by John Bartlett, for whom the . . . — Map (db m29038) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 5126 — Stockton Family Cemetery
The Stockton Family Cemetery is located on land originally granted in 1859 by Texas governor Hardin R. Runnels to Moses Allen, a veteran of the Siege of Bexar. Douglas Hayden Stockton and his wife Mary Elizabeth (White) brought their family to Bell . . . — Map (db m28455) HM
Texas (Bell County), Bartlett — 5891 — Woman's Wednesday Club
What began in 1902 as an idea to organize a women's club with a focus on literature and history became a reality in April 1903, with the formation of a Woman's Study Club. Chartered with nineteen members under the leadership of Mrs. Vena (Holzgraf) . . . — Map (db m29041) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9028 — Elisha Allen(December 16, 1813 – March 6, 1893)
A native of Louisiana, Elisha Allen moved with his parents in 1827 to what is now Orange County. When the Texas Revolution began, Allen joined the army and fought at the Siege of Bexar, Dec. 5-6, 1835. He explored the Texas frontier with a survey . . . — Map (db m3208) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9089 — First National Bank of Bartlett
Jesse L. Bailey (1848-1926) and his son Charles C. Bailey (1871-1947) opened a private bank in conjunction with a mercantile business in Bartlett in 1898. J. L. Bailey and Son, Bankers, was replaced by the First National Bank of Bartlett in 1900. . . . — Map (db m25295) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9088 — First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett
Built for congregation originally called Nazareth Church of the Central Texas Presbytery, and constituted on Indian Creek in June 1875. Reorganized here in 1897. Sanctuary erected in 1899. Victorian architecture. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m26048) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9087 — First United Methodist Church of Bartlett
Organized between 1870 and 1875 as the Indian Creek Church, this congregation moved to Bartlett about 1885. Services were held in a store, schoolhouse, and Baptist church before construction of a Methodist church in 1890. Built in 1896, the present . . . — Map (db m26047) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 12304 — Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church
Bartlett was a small farming community in 1898. Black American laborers arrived each fall for the cotton harvest. Thomas Sanders and Nelson Secret and their families called the Reverend F. E. Garrett of Temple to help them establish Mount Arie . . . — Map (db m25424) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 12971 — Site of Bartlett Colored School
The farming community of Bartlett was founded in 1882 when the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad reached the town, which is situated on the county line between Bell and Williamson counties. By 1912, a second railway served the town, and Bartlett . . . — Map (db m24959) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.