Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Chester, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Chester Fire Department Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Pfingsten, January 1, 2009
Chester Fire Department Marker
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Chester Fire Department — Roll of Honor
In appreciation of loyal service rendered in the World War Franklin Fire Company Hanley Hose Company Moyamensing Hook & Ladder Company Good Will Fire Company Felton Fire Company — Map (db m14950) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Christofer Columbus — The Great Navigator
Whose first act upon landing in the New World, on October 12, 1492 was to give thanks to God for safe deliverance. Presented to the City of Chester in the year of our Lord 1955 by the Italian-American Associations and citizens of Chester and . . . — Map (db m14783) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Colonial Courthouse
Georgian Colonial design. Built in 1724, restored in 1920. In use for Chester County till 1786, for Delaware County, 1789-1851. Later used as City Hall. Oldest public building in continuous use in U. S. — Map (db m14949) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Delaware County, Where Pennsylvania Began
Discovered by the Dutch, settled by the Swedes. Granted to William Penn by King Charles II of England, Delaware County is the site of Penn's first landing in Pennsylvania. Here the first assembly met and adopted the frame of government honored in . . . — Map (db m14957) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Finland
Name given to tract along Delaware River from Marcus Hook to Chester River. Grant for tract was given Captain Hans Ammundson Besk, a native of Finland by Queen Christina in 1653. Site of first Finnish settlement in America. — Map (db m81733) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — First Friends Meeting
Here in 1675, William Edmundson convened the first recorded meeting for worship of Friends (Quakers) within present Pennsylvania. This was at the home of Robert Wade, who in 1682 greeted William Penn upon his arrival in Chester. — Map (db m4091) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Green-Bank
Name given to house built on this site in 1721 by David Lloyd. At one time, it was the home of Admiral Porter and Commodore Porter with whom Admiral Farragut often visited. Razed in Feb., 1882 by "Jackson Explosion". — Map (db m81730) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — John Morton
Top Plaque John Morton Signer of the Declaration of Independence 1724 - 1777 Center Plaque John Morton Signer of the Declaration of Independence placed by Descendants of the Signers of the Declaration of Independence, Inc. Bottom Plaque John . . . — Map (db m14781) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Martin Luther King, Jr. — (1929 - 1968)
King lived three years in this community and ministered under the mentorship of J. Pius Barbour. He graduated from Crozer Theological Seminary, 1951. A leader of the 1963 March on Washington, King won a Nobel Peace Prize, 1964. — Map (db m14784) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Old Swedish Burial Ground
Site of first St. Paul's Episcopal Church, built in 1702. The grave of John Morton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence is located just south of here. — Map (db m14768) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Penn Landing
Oct. 29, 1682, soon after finishing a two-months' voyage, William Penn first set foot on his colony of Pennsylvania, granted by Charles II the year before. The site is a block south. — Map (db m14961) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Rochambeau Route — Narragansett Bay to Yorktown
After an encampment of several days in Philadelphia where French troops passed in review before Congress, the French and American armies moved toward Wilmington [Delaware] by the Chester Pike known then as the King’s Highway. They encamped . . . — Map (db m66731) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company
During WWII, Sun was the largest single shipyard in the world, with over 35,000 employees. It introduced the all-welded ship, which significantly increased ship production, and th T-2 oil tanker, which became the standard at all US shipyards. Sun . . . — Map (db m14766) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Sun Village War Memorial
A Tribute to those from Sun Village who served our country in World War II • Clyde Robert Thompson • Ralph Jack Emory • James Walter Brogan • David R. Hutchinson — Map (db m66733) WM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Swedish Colonists
This Tablet Commemorates The Swedish Colonists Who Settled This Area In 1641 Dedicated by Princess Christina June 12, 1965 — Map (db m14951) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Viet Nam
In memory of those who paid the supreme sacrifice in Viet Nam — Map (db m14953) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Washington House
Built in 1747 on this site. Was known as "Pennsylvania Arms" until after Washington stopped here following the Battle of Brandywine in 1777. Noted stopping place on the old Post Road. Building stood here until 1952. — Map (db m14955) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — William Penn — 1644 - 1718
First lodged in America in "Essex House" on this site October 28, 1682 the guest of Robert Wade Here the earliest Quaker settler on this side Delaware River, 1676, purchaser of the property, then called "Printzdorp," from the earlier occupant, . . . — Map (db m14967) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement