Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Cumming, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Colonel William Cumming Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, July 24, 2010
Colonel William Cumming Marker
Georgia (Forsyth County), Cumming — 058-3 — Colonel William Cumming
The town of Cumming (incorporated 1834) is named in honor of Col. William Cumming, distinguished Georgian, born July 27, 1788, son of Thomas Cumming and Ann Clay, daughter of Joseph Clay, of Savannah. William Cumming graduated from the College of . . . — Map (db m33581) HM
Georgia (Forsyth County), Cumming — Cumming Historic Cemetery
In 1834, Moses Whitsett was the first person buried on the property which in 1840 became the cemetery for the Baptist Church and the Presbyterian Church. In 1856, the Presbyterian Church disbanded. When the Baptist Church relocated, the cemetery . . . — Map (db m14382) HM
Georgia (Forsyth County), Cumming — Cumming School Built 1923
Cumming School, erected in 1923 by J. W. Fleming and Jim Hughes to house students in grades 1 through 11, burned in 1927. The same contractors rebuilt the structure. The school served all grades until 1955, when high school students . . . — Map (db m55980) HM
Georgia (Forsyth County), Cumming — 058-2 — Forsyth County
Forsyth County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee County. It was named for Gov. John Forsyth (1780-1841), a native of Frederick Co., Va., a graduate of Princeton, and gifted Georgia lawyer. He was Attorney-General of Ga., Congressman, . . . — Map (db m33575) HM
Georgia (Forsyth County), Cumming — Fowler Family Farm House Built 1922
The Fowler family property is an early 20th century farm comprised of the main house, a renter house and various agricultural outbuildings associated with cotton and, later, chicken production. The farm serves as a reminder of Forsyth County's rural . . . — Map (db m55559) HM
Georgia (Forsyth County), Cumming — 58-1 — Poole's Mill Covered Bridge
Cherokee Chief George Welch constructed a grist mill here on his extensive homeplace c. 1820. An uncovered bridge was later added. With the 1838 removal of the Cherokees, the land was sold to Jacob Scudder. Dr. M. L. Pool purchased it from Scudder's . . . — Map (db m14944) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement