Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gautier, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
City of Gautier Marker at City Hall. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
City of Gautier Marker at City Hall.
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — City of Gautier
Near U.S. 90 at Beasley Road, on the right when traveling west.
This area was not always known as Gautier. The story of the city actually began in 1699. A French expedition, led by Pierre d'Iberville and accompanied by his younger brother, Jean-Baptiste Bienville, made landfall in Mobile, Alabama and explored . . . — Map (db m122547) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Creosote Works
On Graveline Road at Old Spanish Trail, on the right when traveling north on Graveline Road.
The West Pascagoula Creosote Works, at this site, was the first continuously operated creosote treatment plant in the nation. Established in 1874 to protect railroad bridge timbers against rot and the toredo worm, the plant was open until 1978. . . . — Map (db m16726) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Fernando Gautier and Sons Sawmill
On Graveline Road at De la Pointe Drive, on the right when traveling north on Graveline Road.
This sawmill operated on this site from 1867 till 1906, employing more than twenty local citizens and producing more than 30,000 board feet of lumber per day at its peak. The sawmill was well situated with easy access to the river, railroad, . . . — Map (db m16754) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Gautier School
On De La Pointe Drive 0.1 miles south of U.S. 90, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1940, the Gautier School replaced the Lyon School, built in 1918 and located 3 miles west at Hilda. The Lyon School consolidated other schools in the area, including the "Little Red Schoolhouse," built in 1890 by Walter Gautier. The "Little . . . — Map (db m20045) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Gautier War Memorial
Near U.S. 90 at Beasley Road, on the right when traveling west.
This monument is dedicated to the men and women of the armed services of the United States of America who served and are still serving In recognition of their personal sacrifices their service to our county and their dedication to . . . — Map (db m122632) WM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Graveline
Near Interstate 10 at milepost 63, 4.5 miles west of Mississippi Highway 613.
In 1718 this area was settled by Jean-Baptiste Baudreau dit Graveline, born 1671 in Montreal. Arrived with d'Iberville at Fort Maurepas aboard the Renommée Jan 8, 1700. Prominent colonist~adventurer~merchant. — Map (db m81089) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Graveline Bayou Indian Mound
On Barracuda Dr. 0.2 miles south of Graveline Rd, on the right when traveling south.
The nearby earthen mound was built by prehistoric Indians during the Late Woodland Period between 400 and 700 A. D. The mound's flat summit was used for ceremonial purposes. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is one of the few . . . — Map (db m129007) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Historic Gautier Cemetery
On Oak Street at U.S. 90, on the right when traveling north on Oak Street.
Originally a burial site for the Gautier family, this cemetery contains the graves of Fernando Gautier and Henry Gautier (builder of Twelve Oaks). Members of the Clifford, Fayard, Fuller, LeBatard, Pelham, Peterson, Quinn, Saucier, Vaughan, and . . . — Map (db m43651) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — New Era Missionary Baptist Church
On U.S. 90, on the right when traveling east.
Organized ca. 1886, this African American church is the oldest continuous congregation in Gautier. Twice destroyed by fire, the church was rebuilt at its present site in 1893. The New Era Missionary Baptist Church choir sang at the 1936 inauguration . . . — Map (db m16518) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Saint Pierre's Episcopal Church
On Gautier Vancleave Road, on the right when traveling north.
Saint Pierre's Episcopal Church was organized in 1921 by Bishop Theodore DuBose Bratton, the third Bishop of Mississippi. In 1992 the congregation constructed a new sanctuary at this location under the leadership of Rev. Harold Martin. The original . . . — Map (db m131646) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — The Old Place
On Oak Street 0.1 miles north of De La Pointe Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Built c. 1867, by Fernando Upton Gautier and his wife, Theresa Fayard Gautier. The Gautiers moved to this area from Biloxi and established the F. Gautier and Sons Sawmill in 1866. The house is built from native pine cut at the sawmill, which closed . . . — Map (db m16756) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Twelve Oaks
On Graveline Road 0.2 miles south of Old Spanish Trail, on the right when traveling east.
Built ca. 1896 by Henry Gautier (1848-1921) for his second wife, Laura Canty. Henry Gautier was the eldest son of Fernando Gautier. The house is located in the Helen Moro Spanish land grant claim and was built on the site of the McRae Hotel, a . . . — Map (db m43650) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement