Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Groveport, Ohio Historical Markers

 
1st Squadron 9th Cavalry Vietnam 1965-1973 Monument (rear) image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., September 13, 2008
1st Squadron 9th Cavalry Vietnam 1965-1973 Monument (rear)
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 1st Squadron 9th Cavalry Memorial Headhunters, Vietnam 1965-1973 Bravest of the Brave
We Gave Our All Each man has his own reason for living and his own price for dying. We went to war for our country but in the end we fought for each other HQ Troop A Troop D Troop B Troop E Troop C Troop . . . — Map (db m12685) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 11-25 — Groveport Log House
Built on Main Street, circa 1815, this two story log residence was later sided. In 1974 during new post office site preparation, the log structure was discovered and moved to present location along Ohio-Erie Canal route. In adjoining Groveport . . . — Map (db m12521) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — Groveport United Methodist Church
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Established 1836 — Map (db m50095) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — Groveport Veterans' Park
[Marker Front]: Dedicated to the honor of all the men and women who have faithfully and honorably served their country. Valor Duty Honor Country [Marker Reverse]: “....and here we joined to honor . . . — Map (db m12681) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — Groveport World War II Memorial
Erected in honor of those men and women of this community who served in the Armed Forces during the Second World War and the following emergency and occupation. — Map (db m12517) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 18-25 — Historic Groveport
Pioneers began to settle in the Groveport area around the year 1800. Subsequent growth was spurred by the opening of the Ohio Erie Canal, and, in 1847, the adjacent settlements of Rarey's Port and Wert's Grove merged to form the village of . . . — Map (db m12522) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 19-25 — John Rarey and "Cruiser"
John S. Rarey (1827-1866), born in Groveport, became internationally famous for his revolutionary horse-taming methods based on his strong belief in kindness to animals. The principles of his training system were kindness, patience, and firmness. . . . — Map (db m12518) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — John S. Rarey and Cruiser
John S. Rarey (1827-66) of Groveport gained international fame in the mid 19th century for his humane methods of horse training, which involved talking to the horse and using a gentle, but firm, touch. Rarey's horsemanship attracted people . . . — Map (db m12660) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 40-25 — Ohio and Erie Canal in Groveport / Scioto Valley Interurban
Ohio and Erie Canal in Groveport The Ohio and Erie Canal was Ohio's solution to the lack of a reliable and fast transportation system to move goods to outside markets. The canal opened in the then unplatted village of Groveport on September 25, . . . — Map (db m12659) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — 96-25 — Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22
The Ohio and Erie Canal Lock 22, constructed from 1830-1831, is the only canal lock in Groveport. Constructed by W.H. Richardson as part of his $2,937 bid to build section 52 of the canal, the sandstone lock is 117 feet long and ten feet deep and . . . — Map (db m13724) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Groveport — The Ohio Military Hall of Fame Monument Ohio Heroes For Service Above and Beyond the Call of Duty
The purpose of the Ohio Military Hall of Fame is to recognize those Ohio individuals who served in the United States military and distinguished themselves by displaying extraordinary heroism in action against an enemy of the United States while . . . — Map (db m12683) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement