18 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Lebanon
Lebanon, Kentucky and Vicinity
▶ Marion County (22) ▶ Boyle County (115) ▶ Casey County (5) ▶ Larue County (21) ▶ Nelson County (40) ▶ Taylor County (29) ▶ Washington County (35)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|Morgan's 2,400 Raiders, on way to Ohio, met by Col. C.S. Hanson's 380 Union men here, July 5, 1863. During battle Hanson barricaded in railroad depot. Raiders fired buildings but rain prevented wide destruction. After seven hours battle, Union . . . — — Map (db m99390) HM|
|Here, in 1779, Samuel Cartwright located his station on the trail from Wilderness Road to Falls of the Ohio. Earlier, in 1774, he and Simon Kenton explored Big Sandy - Ohio River region. Stopped for a while at Harrodsburg, then settled here. Kenton . . . — — Map (db m99431) HM|
|Twenty-two Kentucky courthouses were burned during the Civil War, nineteen in the last fifteen months: twelve by Confederates, eight by guerrillas, two by Union accident. See map on reverse side.
July 5, 1863 clerk's office at Lebanon was . . . — — Map (db m133814) HM|
|Lt. Thomas Morgan, 19, one of four brothers then in Morgan's Raiders under another brother, Gen. John Hunt Morgan, was killed near here July 5, 1863 as he led an attack on Union forces in the depot at Lebanon. He died in his brother Calvin's arms as . . . — — Map (db m99384) HM|
|During the battle of Lebanon Tom Morgan, 19-year-old brother of Gen. John Hunt Morgan, was killed near this house, "Sunnyside," the home of Presbyterian minister T.H .Cleland. During the fighting John Hunt continuously sent the younger Morgan to the . . . — — Map (db m99385) HM|
|Bishop John Lancaster Spalding, also sociologist and writer, born here on June 2, 1840. Graduated St. Mary's College, 1856, at age 16. He was ordained at American College, Louvain, Belgium, 1863. Organized first Louisville Negro parish, St. . . . — — Map (db m99409) HM|
|The First Presbyterian Church on Water Street in Lebanon, KY was built in the same year 1857. The construction of this church was started in 1854. This was known as the 5th church building. On July 5th, 1863, this church looked like the photo of it . . . — — Map (db m99404) HM|
|The old C.C. Cambron house, later known as the Don V. Drye Funeral Home, with a frontage of over 250 feet on North Spalding Avenue, is another of Lebanon's fine old houses which have been converted to new uses. It's lines reflect the spacious . . . — — Map (db m99407) HM|
|J. Proctor Knott, 1830-1911. Born this county. Missouri Legislature, 1851-1859; Att. Gen., 1859-60. Came back here, 1863. U.S. Congress six terms, became famous as statesman, satirist. Governor of Kentucky, 1883-87. In 1891 Constitutional . . . — — Map (db m99428) HM|
|General Order No. 6, Department of the Army of Ohio, ordered General George H. Thomas, one of the Union Army's most capable generals, to establish his headquarters at Lebanon, Kentucky by November, 1861.
His headquarters were on the second . . . — — Map (db m99411) HM WM|
|In July 1862, during his first raid into Kentucky, John Hunt Morgan fought two skirmishes in Marion County. The first took place at the covered bridge just south of New Market. The Union Home Guard, anticipating Morgan's arrival, took the planking . . . — — Map (db m99426) HM|
|This Rosenwald School (1931-1961) is one of 158 schools built in Ky., 1917-1932. The building projects were initiated by the African American community and funded with aid of Julius Rosenwald and philanthropists to provide quality education to the . . . — — Map (db m99429) HM|
|Morgan’s third Kentucky raid had not gone well from the beginning. The Battle at Tebbs Bend on July 4 cost him 35 men killed and about 40 wounded. From Tebbs Bend, Morgan pushed north, arriving in Lebanon about 7 o’clock on the morning of July 5, . . . — — Map (db m99388) HM|
|The building to the right on July 5th, 1863 was the military commissary store of Mr. Christopher Beeler. He had a wood frame house that he and his family lived in at the back of the store on Water Street. Historians are not sure as to the date of . . . — — Map (db m99387) HM|
|The home was known for years as the old Kobert place, for it was the home of the late Charles Kobert for about 50 years. Mr. Kobert was deeded the property on December 6, 1883 from L. A. Spalding. The first known history on the property is that in . . . — — Map (db m99405) HM|
|This old depot was built in 1857 by the L&N to serve as both a passenger and freight depot. The back part of the building was then, as now, used for freight, and the front part used as the passenger department and ticket office. There were four . . . — — Map (db m99389) HM|
|Three generations of gracious living have marked the old Howard place on North Spalding Avenue which changed hands recently after the death of Mrs. Emogene Howard Beckman, last of her family to occupy it. The house was built sometime before the . . . — — Map (db m99408) HM|
|Providing food for soldiers was the business of the Commissary of Subsistence, an army department. The Union Army used this building, then owned by Christopher Beeler, as a commissary during the Civil War. All or part of the foodstuffs for the Union . . . — — Map (db m99386) HM|