The Bedingfield Inn or Tavern was constructed on this site in 1836 by Dr. Bryan N. Bedingfield as a family residence and stagecoach stop. It was a center for commercial and community activities and a one-day's travel from Columbus, Fort Gaines, . . . — — Map (db m24786) HM
This handsome structure as built in 1895 in the Classical style made popular by the buildings housing the Columbian Exposition in Chicago (1893-94) to which Lumpkin-born architect John Wellborn Root was a major contributor. It replaced a wooden . . . — — Map (db m35044) HM
Near here on the old Fort Gaines Road, the first Monday in August 1829, at the home of Allen and Jeanette (Roby) Wamble, was held the first Inferior Court for Randolph County which, at that time, included Stewart, Webster and Randolph Counties. . . . — — Map (db m35178) HM
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church
This church served as the focus for the religious, educational and cultural life of African Americans in the Green Grove community during the late 19th century and well into the 20th . . . — — Map (db m23459) HM
John Wellborn Root (1850-1891), world famous architect, was born on this site. The son of Mary Clark and Sidney Root, he was educated in Lumpkin, Atlanta, New York, and Claremont and Oxford in England. A pioneer in some phases of architecture, he . . . — — Map (db m46426) HM
Lumpkin, named for Wilson Lumpkin, Governor, Congressman and Senator, first the County Seat of Randolph County, became the Seat of Government of Stewart County when that county was constituted from Randolph December 23, 1830. On a hill between two . . . — — Map (db m39421) HM
This school, established in 1852 by members of Cross Lodge No. 12 Masons for the purpose of educating girls, was a leading educational center for 30 years. Located on land purchased from Willard and Hollis Boynton, when completed it had an endowment . . . — — Map (db m46390) HM
On a 10 acre plot of land in the exact center of the county was located, in 1830, the first permanent Methodist Camp Meeting Ground in Stewart County.
It was given by Loverd Bryan to be held and owned by the church as long as it was regularly used . . . — — Map (db m46334) HM
Trickles of water running down old Indian paths to springs formed the Providence Canyons, natural wonders of the Southeast.
These canyons, named for an old church that had to be moved out of their path, are often called “Little Grand . . . — — Map (db m46392) HM
Providence Church, when first organized, 1832-33, was a log building on the south side of the road. Two acres were donated by David Lowe for a church and school (Providence Academy). This land is now between two of the canyons. The present building . . . — — Map (db m12146) HM
Near this place Rev. David Walker Lowe built a home for his wife Jane Dorsey not long after 1825. He had been a Methodist circuit rider in the S. C. conference, later in the Ga. conference. Born July 22, 1794 in Warren Co., Ga., he was organizer and . . . — — Map (db m15737) HM
This building was erected in 1831 in NW Lumpkin to house the “Stewart County Academy,” the first academy in the county. In 1842, it became the “Lumpkin Independent Academy” for boys only, owned by local stockholders. In 1841, . . . — — Map (db m46660) HM
(Side One): On October 12, 1973 an informal group of fifty persons, having an interest in several areas of academic research, met at Westville's Yellow Creek campmeeting tabernacle for a three day symposium to discuss a subject of mutual . . . — — Map (db m21857) HM