Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Milton, Georgia Historical Markers

 
The Boiling Springs Primitive Baptist Church. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, June 2, 2018
The Boiling Springs Primitive Baptist Church.
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Boiling Springs Primitive Baptist Church — A City of Milton Historic Site
In November 1837 fen original members chartered the Articles of Boiling Springs Primitive Baptist Church, the first church of its denomination in North Georgia. The original church was a log structure. The first pastor was John Wayne. Solomon Peek . . . — Map (db m118170) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Broadwell Building — A City of Milton Historic Site
Circa 1902 Local cotton farmer, John Broadwell built this structure with brick manufactured nearby. John's half-brother, Newport H. Broadwell, Jr., operated the original dry goods store. Later the building served many uses: lodging for travelers, a . . . — Map (db m118150) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Dinsmore Barn — A City of Milton Historic Site
Circa 1890. This iconic barn was owned by Joe and Patsy Dinsmore who raised cotton, corn, and vegetables on 150 acres during the first half of the last century. Patsy maintained a telephone exchange in their nearby house to supplement their income. . . . — Map (db m118162) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Double Branch Voting District Courthouse — A City of Milton Historic Site
This structure served the Birmingham community as one of seven militia district courthouses in Milton County. Rolls were maintained of eligible males between the ages of 15 and 50 who could be called up in times of emergency. The Courthouse also . . . — Map (db m118169) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Hagood Store — A City of Milton Historic Site
Charles B. Hagood, an entrepreneur in Milton County, built the Hagood Store at the turn of the 20th Century. This brick structure housed a millinery, run by Bunche Devore, and a post office from 1902-1905, where Hagood served as the Postmaster. This . . . — Map (db m118165) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Hopewell Baptist Church — A City of Milton Historic Site
Spiritual home to many of the area's first families, Hopewell Baptist was constituted on April 14, 1851, with 15 original members. The church joined the Hightower Baptist Association in June 1851. Members first met in the home of Rhoda Byrd Rogers . . . — Map (db m118167) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — John B. Broadwell House — A City of Milton Historic Site
John B. Broadwell was the great grandson of Jesse Broadwell, an early (1838) settler of the area. Jesse obtained four land lots (160 acres) in Crabapple. John was an agriculturalist who developed prize-winning Broadwell Big Boll cotton (aka . . . — Map (db m118152) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — McConnell-Chadwick Homestead — A City of Milton Historic Site
Circa late 1830s, homestead of Brigadier General and State Senator Eli McConnell and his wife Savilla Garrison. This house was one of the first in the original Cherokee County, established in December 1832. Governor Troup authorized McConnell to . . . — Map (db m118146) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Nix - Bell House — A City of Milton Historic Site
Circa 1896. Early in the 20th Century this house was owned by William Henry (Will) Nix (1886-1953) and Clara Maddox Nix. Clara was the daughter of Dr. Cicero Cincinnatus Maddox a prominent Alpharetta physician. In addition to farming, Nix raised . . . — Map (db m118172) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Phillips Homestead — A City of Milton Historic Site
Abner Phillips and wife Nancy Beck came to this area in the early 1830s, eventually acquiring 240 acres. She died in 1837 In 1841, he married Nancy Broadwell. The two unions produced 15 children. Five sons served in the Civil War. Only one survived. . . . — Map (db m118161) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Providence Baptist Church — A City of Milton Historic Site
The original church building, a log cabin, was constructed by Abner Phillips and Joseph Walker. The first organized service took place on December 20, 1834. At the meeting, Solomon Peek and Peter Kuykendall were elected elders. Drucilla Walker and . . . — Map (db m118156) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Reese House — A City of Milton Historic Site
The Cantrell and Nallie Reese House was built in 1912 by the Reese family. Cantrell was the son of Ervin and Ann Devore Reese. Nallie was the daughter of John Broadwell, a prominent cotton farmer and merchant. These were early settlers in the area. . . . — Map (db m118147) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Rucker Cotton Gin — A City of Milton Historic Site
Joel Jackson (J.J.) Rucker (1880-1960) founded the Rucker Cotton Seed Company and subsequently built a cotton gin at this location, circa 1930. Farmers entered the rear of the gin with their wagonloads of cotton, where it was weighed, combed, washed . . . — Map (db m118151) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Summit School — A City of Milton Historic Site
Near this location stood the Summit School, one of the earliest public schools in rural Milton County. In 1895, A.S. Cantrell and John Cowart donated one acre each to the Trustees of the Summit School to erect a public school house. In 1908, The . . . — Map (db m118160) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Thomas B. Newton House — A City of Milton Historic Site
Formerly known as the Old Birmingham Hotel, the building was constructed by Thomas B. Newton, Jr. around 1865. It originally stood next to Hickory Flat Road, but was relocated here in 2007 to preserve it. The building served in numerous capacities . . . — Map (db m118174) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Thomas Byrd House — A City of Milton Historic Site
In 1834, Thomas Byrd of Hall County purchased Land Lot 403, consisting of 40 acres, in Cherokee County for $400. Circuit riders often stayed in the two parsons rooms in the house. It also served as a stagecoach stop on the mail route to the gold . . . — Map (db m118175) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Walker Barn — A City of Milton Historic Site
Atlanta physician John Walker (1902-1977) purchased a 500 acre farm here in the 1930s. The barn was built in the late 19th century. Originally, the transverse frame barn, with several cribs, was joined together under one roof, separated by an aisle. . . . — Map (db m118164) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Milton — Willis Cass Tucker, Jr Home — A City of Milton Historic Site
This clapboard house was built in 1899 by Willis Cass Tucker, Jr., and his wife Dealphia Jane Wheeler on an original 40-acre land lot from the 1832 lottery of Cherokee Indian lands. It typifies turn of the century Georgia farmhouses. Tucker sold it . . . — Map (db m118159) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.