13 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Piedmont, California
Location of Piedmont, California
▶ Alameda County (420) ▶ Contra Costa County (380) ▶ San Francisco City and County (478) ▶ San Joaquin County (77) ▶ San Mateo County (131) ▶ Santa Clara County (412) ▶ Stanislaus County (55)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|Corpus Christi parish
was formally opened
on November 24, 1929
as part of what was then the archdiocese of
San Francisco. Masses were held in a cottage
on St. James Drive until January 11, 1931,
when a small church and rectory opened . . . — — Map (db m144737) HM|
“Loves Labor Lost,” a comedy by William Shakespeare, was the first play performed in the Eucalyptus Amphitheater in the spring of 1908. Set in a grove of trees for which it was named, the theater had a unique stage from which some of . . . — — Map (db m72377) HM|
In 1877, a prospectus for home sites in Piedmont Park showed a rustic wooden bench near the Piedmont Springs grotto. This bench began a tradition which was continued when Frank C. Havens renovated the park in 1890s, installing not only rustic . . . — — Map (db m72298) HM|
|World War I
Egbert Williams Beach • Henry Augustus Butters • Otto Julius Carlsen • Frank Jay Field • Thomas Edward Graves • Carl Castlemayne Jones • Hunter McClure
World War II
George David Anderson • John R. Anderson, Jr. • James . . . — — Map (db m72281) WM|
In May 1907, patrons of the arts from around the Bay Area descended on Piedmont Park for the opening of the Piedmont Art Gallery. On display were 375 oil, pastel and watercolor paintings in four separate galleries.
Under the guidance of . . . — — Map (db m72320) HM|
In 1867 the pink mineral springs which oozed from Bushy Dell Canyon began to attract visitors to Piedmont Park and the surrounding community. Generation after generation the park has changed to reflect the community that surrounds it, creating . . . — — Map (db m72297) HM|
|On Saturday, May 5, 1898, a gala benefit for the Ladies’ Relief Society marked the opening of the Piedmont Springs Park by Frank C. Havens. Musicians played in a thatched bandstand while partygoers strolled through lighted pathways. Many guest dined . . . — — Map (db m72317) HM|
|The Piedmont Springs Hotel was built by Walter Blair in 1872. The two-story white clapboard building had 20 bedrooms, two suites and five dining rooms, and the Grand Saloon. The 1887 cottages were added to increase capacity.
At 9:15 a.m. on . . . — — Map (db m72299) HM|
The first recorded visitor to the sulphur springs grotto is Isaac Holmes, a retired U.S. Senator from South Carolina, who reportedly installed a bathtub in Bushy Dell canyon in the early 1860s in order to take alfresco baths for his rheumatism. . . . — — Map (db m72378) HM|
|In her memoir about life in Piedmont, Elsie Whitaker Martinez remembered fishing with her brothers in the Piedmont Heights in the 1880s. A myriad of streams found their way from Alta, Scenic, Pacific and Mountain Avenues. Most fed into the city’s . . . — — Map (db m72321) HM|
|Look carefully. Comparing today’s Japanese Tea House with early pictures, you will notice many differences. The first tea house in Piedmont Park was built by Frank C. Havens and opened on June 30, 1907. It was a replica of the late-fifteenth century . . . — — Map (db m72318) HM|
One of the first improvements made by Frank Havens to Piedmont Springs Park was the construction of a living hedge maze modeled on those like Hampton Court in England. An article in the Oakland Herald in December 1904 shows a winding drive . . . — — Map (db m72376) HM|
Erected to the boys of Piedmont who gave their lives in the World War
Egbert Williams Beach • Henry Augustus Butters • Otto Julius Carlsen • Frank Jay Field • Thomas Edward Graves • Carl Castlemayne Jones
1918 . . . — — Map (db m72300) HM|