Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Redlands, California Historical Markers

 
A.K. Smiley Public Library image, Touch for more information
By Michael Kindig, April 17, 2005
A.K. Smiley Public Library
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 994 — A.K. Smiley Public Library
Albert K. Smiley, a leader of the city's library movement, donated this building and park to the citizens of Redlands in 1898. Through his generosity, Redlands was given one of California's few privately funded libraries of that era. In 1906, he . . . — Map (db m51029) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 1019 — Kimberly Crest
Mary Kimberly Shirk, an advocate for women's education and acting president of Scripps College during World War II, made a gift of her home, Kimberly Crest, to the people of Redlands. The house, an excellent example of Chateauesque architecture . . . — Map (db m51030) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — Lincoln Memorial ShrineErected by the Watchorn Family
As did their friends the Smiley brothers, Robert and Alma Watchorn contributed greatly to Redlands’ cultural life. A labor organizer, Commissioner of Immigration at Ellis Island, and oilman who experienced the American dream, Robert as a . . . — Map (db m135263) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 43 — Mill Creek Zanja
Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan Fathers engineered, and Indians dug, this first ditch (or "zanja") in 1819-20. In historical sequence the zanja . . . — Map (db m125944) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 42 — San Bernardino Asistencia
This branch of San Gabriel Mission was constructed about 1830 on the San Bernardino Rancho. During the 1840s, its buildings were used by José del Carmen Lugo as part of his rancho grant. Later, after its sale to the Mormons, it was occupied by . . . — Map (db m131701) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — Site of First Lugonia, Now Redlands, District SchoolBuilding Erected 1877
The name Lugonia was suggested by Charles R. Paine then County Supt. of Schools Trustees C. E. Brink M. H. Crafts W. R. Tolles Teacher, George W. Beattie Monument Erected 1935 — Map (db m97617) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement