Donated to Troy University by Huo Bao Zhu During the visit of Chancellor Jack Hawkins, Jr. to Xian, China in April 2002.
The gift was made in celebration of the Sino-American 1-2-1 Joint Degree Program and as a lasting symbol of friendship between . . . — — Map (db m38930) HM
On May 9, 1921, S.B. Innis, C.L. Jenkins, James Henderson, Pres Thomas and C.B. Brooks, the “colored school committee,” entered into a school mortgage for the construction of a building for “colored school . . . — — Map (db m76755) HM
Built in 1929, Bibb Graves Hall opened in September, 1930. It was named for Alabama Governor Bibb Graves (1927-31, 1935-39) who was known as the “education governor.” Bibb Graves Hall served as the original administration building for . . . — — Map (db m38940) HM
Built in 1961 and renovated in 1989, the Chancellor's residence is the "front door" to the University. It has served as the entertainment site for international, national, state and local leaders, including ambassadors, U.S. Senators, governors, . . . — — Map (db m111582) HM
North Side "Lest We Forget." This shaft is erected to honor and perpetuate the memory and valor of our Confederate Soldiers. West Side "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." South . . . — — Map (db m36567) HM
Named for Fletcher Thomas Cowart, a Troy University professor of natural science from 1890 to 1919. Cowart Hall was constructed in 1950. Originally a menís dormitory, it was later used to house junior and senior women students. The structure was . . . — — Map (db m38933) HM
Born in Henderson, Alabama in 1850, Fletcher Jackson Cowart began his working career as a public school teacher. He later served superintendencies for both the Pike County and the Troy City schools. He was editor of the Troy Messenger and a . . . — — Map (db m38934) HM
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy was organized in 1843. The first building was constructed in 1858, on land donated by Ann Dowdell Love, affectionately known as "Granny Love." The second structure was erected in 1888. The present edifice, . . . — — Map (db m36518) HM
“Tailgating" on the Troy campus was initiated during the 1990ís through the example and leadership of Green Davis. In 1993 the area outside of Memorial Stadium was named in honor of Green Davis for his enduring efforts to boost Trojan . . . — — Map (db m38929) HM
Built in 1997, the Hall of Honor is named to honor three key leaders of Troy University: two Chancellors - Dr. Jack Hawkins, Jr. and Dr. Ralph W. Adams and the longtime leaders of the “Sound of the South” Marching Band and Director . . . — — Map (db m38942) HM
Janice Hawkins Park was named in honor of the First Lady of Troy University, a devoted wife and loving mother, whose work benefited Troy in the fine arts, service to students, internationalization of the University, and support of military veterans. . . . — — Map (db m111581) HM
The original structure was named for Charles Roderick McCall, Professor of Languages at Troy Normal School from 1890 to 1898. It was constructed in 1960-1961 to house the various sciences. In 1999, the structure was renovated and enlarged to house . . . — — Map (db m38938) HM
Built in 1946 as a menís dorm. Named for Matthew Downer Pace, who served Troy University from 1891 to 1941 as Professor of Mathematics, Dean and President. The building was made necessary by the heavy influx of male students enrolling immediately . . . — — Map (db m38931) HM
Originally constructed as the home field for the universityís football and baseball teams. Pace Field, home of the Troy Trojans and the Troy baseball team in the late 1930s and 1940s, stood at the location of the current Riddle - Pace Field. It is . . . — — Map (db m38935) HM
Built during 1929, Shackelford Hall opened to students in September 1930. It was named for the institutionís president Edward Madison Shackelford, who served from 1899 to 1936. Adjoining this building was the original dining facility for the campus. . . . — — Map (db m38932) HM
In the early 1800s, south Alabama was still inhabited by many groups of Native Americans: Creek, Chickasaw, and Choctaw among others. They traveled, hunted, traded, and made war on the many ancient trails here. European settlers improved these roads . . . — — Map (db m95359) HM
Side A Chiseled in the cornerstone are the words, Franklin MacVeagh, Secretary of the Treasury, James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect, MCMX.
This Classical Revival-style Post Office remained in service until 1980. The building . . . — — Map (db m38944) HM
Built by U.S. Army, 1824,
from Ft. Barrancas, at Pensacola
to Ft. Bainbridge, S.E. of Tuskegee.
Here it joined Federal Road leading to
Ft. Mitchell in Russell County.
Road followed Indian trade trail
Became main road . . . — — Map (db m76745) HM
Troy State Normal School was established by the Alabama General Assembly in 1887. Land and the first building for the original downtown campus and land for the present site were provided by the City of Troy. The College was moved to the present site . . . — — Map (db m38937) HM
The Violata Pax (Wounded Peace) Dove symbolizes beauty and peace, sorrow and tragedy. Where you stand determines what you see.
The sculpture was originally commissioned as part of a post-earthquake renovation project for the Basilica of Saint . . . — — Map (db m111584) HM