Located near site of 17th-century Spanish missionary activity, this farming community had its beginnings with the settlement of the McLeans, Conners, Patton, and Gregg families, who had all arrived in the area by 1840. Originally known as Neches for . . . — — Map (db m121254) HM
Established in 1881, the Glover School served residents of the rural Glover Community. Under the direction of teacher James Breeze, a one-room schoolhouse was built on A.E. Sloan's land, now the site of the Old Glover Cemetery. A consolidated school . . . — — Map (db m121252) HM
Was founded near this marker
May 24, 1690,
at the Nabedache (Tejas) Indian Village
Erected, A. D. 1934, by DeZavala Chapter,
Texas Historical and Landmarks Association.
Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas.
Miss . . . — — Map (db m121405) HM
First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Franciscan friars to convert the Tejas Indians. "Tejas", a Spanish rendition of the Indian word for "friend", was in time adopted as the state name.
The founding party was led by Capt. . . . — — Map (db m121406) HM
Was founded in this vicinity Summer 1690 "on the banks of the Arcangel San Miguel" (Neches) River. Erected A.D. 1934 by De Zavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association.
Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas; Miss Adina De . . . — — Map (db m121255) HM
A favorite campsite of Tejas Indians in the years before European settlers arrived, this location was used in turn by explorers, Spanish missionaries, traders and armies. Travelers were attracted by abundant game, including deer and wild turkey, and . . . — — Map (db m121251) HM
Joseph Redmond Rice (1805-1866) cut timber; then his young wife, Willie Masters Rice (1809-1881), snaked the logs to a homesite 16 miles southwest of here. The cabin they built was a noted way-station on the San Antonio Road. They brought up nine . . . — — Map (db m121404) HM
Weches Camp P-58-T was established by the Federal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) on June 19, 1933. Manned by Company 888, the Weches camp was the first CCC camp established in Houston County. It contained barracks, a mess hall, recreation area, . . . — — Map (db m121253) HM