Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Williams, Arizona Historical Markers

 
Adam's Grocery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 8, 2010
Adam's Grocery Marker
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Adam's Grocery
In 1926, the Old Trails Highway was officially designated U.S. Highway 66, and it became the "Main Street of America." In 1984, Williams was the last Route 66 town in America to be bypassed by the interstate highway system. Built in 1907, this . . . — Map (db m33375) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Babbitt-Polson Building
The wood framed 1894 Polson Bros. General Store burned down in the 1901 fire and was replaced by this brick building in 1907. The Babbitt and Polson families were pioneer merchants in the area. In 1930 the building was stuccoed to create the only . . . — Map (db m33384) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Bill Williams MountainElevation 9,264 Ft
This mountain was named for a colorful mountaineer, guide, and trapper who is generally credited with being the first American to explore northern Arizona – 1830 or earlier. Williams lived at different times among the Osage and Ute Indians, . . . — Map (db m33418) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Black and White Cleaners
Built by C. E. Boyce in 1907, this structure was a general merchandise and hardware store and shared a common wall with the Old Post Office to the west. In 1929 it became a dry cleaners with a huge array of belt driven machinery and an adobe . . . — Map (db m33366) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Citizens Bank
This Neo-Classical Revival style building opened with much fanfare on Armistice Day, November 11, 1918. The bank was the financial center of the lumber, ranching and railroad operations in the area until it closed in 1958. The extensive terra cotta . . . — Map (db m33381) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Dime Store
In 1901, a great fire swept through Williams, burning 36 business buildings, 2 hotels and 10 homes in less than an hour. Major fires in 1903 and 1908 further dictated the need for fire-resistant stone, concrete, and brick buildings. Many of those, . . . — Map (db m33392) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Duffy Brothers Grocery StoreBuilt 1912
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Cormick E. Boyce built this large brick structure intending it to be used as a bank, although it served as a grocery store during . . . — Map (db m33417) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Grand Canyon Drug Company
Bill Williams Mountain was named in 1851 after fabled mountain man William S. Williams, who is said to have trapped beaver in this area. In its shadow, this building circa 1912, served local needs with a pharmacy and soda fountain at the front of . . . — Map (db m33389) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Lebsch Confectionery
The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad arrived in 1882, starting a stampede of commercial enterprise. The development of Williams as a community is indicated in part, by this ice cream and confectionery store built by Albert Lebsch in 1914. For a number . . . — Map (db m33391) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Old Parlor Pool HallCirca 1910
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m33390) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Old Post Office
Beginning in 1926, this vintage 1907 building served as the U.S. Post Office for 36 years. This was one of the many structures built by Cormick E. Boyce, who arrived in 1881 as a freight hauler and became one of the area's leading merchants and . . . — Map (db m33368) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Pollock Building
Built of locally quarried volcanic rock in 1901, this edifice housed a bank and many businesses displaced by the 1901 fire. These included the local newspaper, telegraph office, and eventually Arnold's, a famous Route 66 eatery. In 1928, the Masonic . . . — Map (db m33382) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Red Cross Garage
Built of native rock with brick facades, this 1913 garage served travelers at the end of the wagon age and beginning of the automobile era. By 1930, automobiles carried more people to the Grand Canyon than did the railroad. The opposite end of this . . . — Map (db m33380) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Rittenhouse Haberdashery
In 1901, a 60-mile long railroad spur line to the Grand Canyon secured Williams the title "Gateway to the Grand Canyon." Train tickets at that time cost $3.95 serving world travelers and locals alike, this pre-1910 structure was home to a men's . . . — Map (db m33388) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Santa Fe Railway Freight Depot
Built in 1901, this brick structure was the first train depot in Williams. After the Fray Marcos depot was built in 1908, this building took on freight arriving to and departing from Williams. It was moved here from across the railroad tracks in . . . — Map (db m33379) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Sultana Theater
This entertainment center opened in 1912 and boasted a theater and room for dances and other events. It featured silent movies until 1930 when the first "talkies" in northern Arizona were shown, drawing notadle visitors like Will Rodgers. The . . . — Map (db m33385) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Telegraph Office
Telegraph service came to Williams in 1894. The Postal Telegraph Co. was located here in 1910, when this office was built, until the 1940's. At some time the building was divided to share space with Ziriax Photo Shop. The town bandstand was located . . . — Map (db m33387) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Tetzlaff Building
This Victorian-Romanesque style building, designed as a saloon and bordello was built in 1897 by German tailor August Tetzlaff. Offering female company in eight cribs and an elegant parlor, it also boasted a two-story outhouse. Whiskey, pool tables . . . — Map (db m33377) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — The "World Famous" Sultana
Constructed of formed concrete block in 1912, this saloon and billiard hall included a buffet for the townspeople who used it as a gathering place. Named for the famous Sultana Ruby of India. During prohibition the basement speakeasy provided . . . — Map (db m33386) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — The Cabinet SaloonBuilt 1893
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior The Cabinet Saloon was a boisterous spot along "Saloon Row." Here railroaders, cowboys, loggers, and rowdy local residents came to . . . — Map (db m33378) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — William Sherley Williams
Sculpture by B.R. Pettit "Old Bill" was born January 3, 1787 in North Carolina. He died March 24, 1849. In that 62 year life span he did a heap of living, most of it in the wilderness. In the late 1700's and early 1800's the mountain men . . . — Map (db m26456) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Williams — Williams, Arizona
The area around what now is Williams, Arizona, was first explored by a Mountain Man who came to this area in 1876, William Shirley Williams, who was called “Old Bill”. The town site was created by a cowboy named C.T. Rogers in 1879. . . . — Map (db m48351) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.