Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Washington District of Columbia Historical Markers

1723 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1523
 
Crossroads Create Community Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, May 19, 2013
Crossroads Create Community Marker
District of Columbia (Washington), 16th Street Heights — 4 — Crossroads Create Community — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) at Missouri Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Georgia Avenue Northwest.
The Grand, Neo-classical Revival style building that you see across Georgia Avenue north of Missouri opened in 1925 as the Bank of Brightwood, thanks to efforts of the Brightwood Citizens Association. Designed by Treasury Department architect . . . — Map (db m72818) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), 16th Street Heights — 3 — Hold the Mayo! — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) south of Missouri Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling south. Reported missing.
English, Irish and German settlers, as well as enslaved and free African Americans, were the first non-natives to claim Brightwood. Farmers dominated until the Civil War. Then in the 1890s electric streetcars allowed government workers to live . . . — Map (db m121018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), 16th Street Heights — Jones-Haywood School of Ballet — African American Heritage Trail, Washington DC — 1200 Delafield Place, NW —
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) at Delafield Place Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Georgia Avenue Northwest.
The Jones Haywood School of Ballet was founded here by Doris W. Jones and Claire H. Haywood in 1941. Their Capitol Ballet Company, established in 1961, remained the nation's only predominantly African American, professional ballet troupe through the . . . — Map (db m65511) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), 16th Street Heights — 2 — Mayor Emery and the Union Army — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) north of Madison Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
The City Park across the street was once Emery Place, the summer estate of Matthew Gault Emery. A prominent builder, Emery was Washington City's last elected mayor during the period of home rule. He was succeeded in 1874 by a presidentially . . . — Map (db m72816) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), 16th Street Heights — 1 — Racing at Brightwood — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street Northwest at Colorado Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 16th Street Northwest.
Fresh Water Springs in this pleasant high ground once drew European settlers. Farmers called the area "Crystal Spring." In 1859 the half-mile Crystal Spring Racetrack opened on land to your left. For 75 cents, Washingtonians hopped a stagecoach . . . — Map (db m109288) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), 16th Street Heights — The Former Engine Co 24 of the District of Columbia Fire Department
Near New Hampshire Avenue Northwest.
The facade of the original house for Engine Company 24 was located at 3702 Georgia Avenue, N.W. just north of this site. Built in 1911, the firehouse was designed by Luther Leisenring and Charles Gregg. It originally housed horses and horse-drawn . . . — Map (db m65515) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 10 — "Suburban" Development — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Adams Mill Road Northwest at Lanier Place Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Adams Mill Road Northwest.
By the 1890s the Rock Creek Railway Company's new electric streetcars made it easy to commute across town. The "country" settlements of this area became "suburban." One streetcar line followed 18th to Calvert Street, passed here, and then . . . — Map (db m130701) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — A People Without Murals Is A Demuralized People
On Adams Mill Road Northwest west of Columbia Road Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
Painted in 1977, A People Without Murals Is A Demuralized People is the oldest and only mural remaining in Adams Morgan created by a group of Latino immigrant artists. It was brought back to life in 2005 by Sol & Soul, a D.C. . . . — Map (db m112851) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 5 — Ambassadors of Faith — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street, NW just south of Harvard Street, NW, on the right when traveling south.
Three dramatic religious structures dominate this corner. They are among some 40 religious institutions lining 16th Street between the White House and the Maryland state line. Many serve as unofficial “embassies” representing . . . — Map (db m130702) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — Archaeology in Adams Morgan — Surveying the Cemeteries in Walter Pierce Park, 2005-2013
On Calvert Street Northwest at Biltmore Street Northwest, on the left when traveling east on Calvert Street Northwest.
In 2013, Howard University archaeologists, working with concerned citizens, completed a seven-year survey of Walter C. Pierce Community Park. Their goal: to identify and protect two 19th Century cemeteries--the Colored Union Benevolent . . . — Map (db m112588) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 16 — Building a Better Neighborhood — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 18th Street Northwest at California Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 18th Street Northwest.
Across the street you can see the Marie H. Reed Community Learning Center. It opened in 1977 on the former sites of Morgan Community School and Happy Hollow Playground. Both the Adams and Morgan elementary schools became "community schools" . . . — Map (db m130703) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — Calvin T.S. Brent Residence — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1700 V Street, NW —
On 17th Street Northwest south of V Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Calvin T.S. Brent (1854-1899), believed to be Washington's first African American architect, lived here briefly in the early 1890s. (His other residences have been demolished.) Brent began practicing in 1875 and after a two-year apprenticeship and . . . — Map (db m129528) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania — Mrs. Henderson's Favorite Embassy — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street Northwest north of Euclid Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
You are standing in front of the Embassy of the Republic of Lithuania. The Spanish Baroque style mansion is all that remains of what was once a duplex, or double, embassy building designed by George Oakley Totten for Mary Foote Henderson's . . . — Map (db m82711) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — Embassy of the Republic of Poland — A Beaux-Arts Beauty — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street Northwest at Fuller Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 16th Street Northwest.
You are now standing in front of the longest-serving embassy building among Washington DC's more than 180 diplomatic missions: the Embassy of the Republic of Poland. Renowned architect George Oakley Totten designed the building for Mary Foote . . . — Map (db m83344) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 7 — Lanier Place — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Ontario Road Northwest south of Lanier Place Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
Banker Archibald McLachlen and Smithsonian Institution naturalist George Brown Goode developed Lanier Heights in the early 1890s. Goode laid out streets and encouraged Smithsonian colleagues to purchase lots. McLachlan built the elegant Ontario . . . — Map (db m130704) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 4 — Life on the Park — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street Northwest south of Euclid Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
During the Civil War (1861-1865), the Union Army Carver Hospital and barracks occupied Meridian Hill. The facilities attracted African American freedom seekers looking for protection and employment. By war’s end, a Black community had put down . . . — Map (db m130705) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — Lithuania's March to Freedom — Keeping a Nation Alive — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street Northwest south of Fuller Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Since 1924 this mansion has housed representatives of the Republic of Lithuania, even during the 50 years when the country was occupied by the Soviet Union. In the late 1700s, the Russian Empire annexed Lithuania's territory, ending the . . . — Map (db m82751) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 2 — Meridian Hill/Malcolm X Park — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street Northwest south of Crescent Place Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Long before Europeans arrived, Meridian Hill was a sacred place for Native Americans. As recently as 1992, a delegation of Native Americans walked across the continent to this park to mourn the 500th anniversary of Columbus’s arrival. They were . . . — Map (db m130706) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 1 — Mrs. Henderson's Legacy — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street Northwest at Florida Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 16th Street Northwest.
As you look up the hill, you can see Peter C. L’Enfant’s 1791 plan for Washington ended up here in front of you at Boundary Avenue, now Florida Avenue. Back then, when people walked or rode in horse-drawn vehicles, it was hard to climb this . . . — Map (db m130707) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 89001744 — Park Tower
On 16th Street Northwest south of Kalorama Road Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Park Tower 2440 Sixteenth Street, NW Built 1928 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132726) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — Polish-U.S. Diplomatic Relations — History Lives — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 16th Street Northwest at Fuller Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 16th Street Northwest.
When Poland declared its independence in 1918 after 123 years or foreign partition, the first prime minister of independent Poland — Ignacy Jan Paderewski — sent Prince Kazimierz Lubomirski to Washington as the country's first . . . — Map (db m82636) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — President Reagan Assassination Attempt — National Historic Place
On T Street Northwest east of Columbia Road Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
On March 30, 1981, President Ronald Reagan marked the 100th visit to Washington Hilton by a sitting U.S. President. Reagan had been invited to speak in the International Ballroom at a meeting of the North America's Building Trades Unions. Upon . . . — Map (db m93218) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 14 — Rooms With a View — Roads to Diversity — Adams-Morgan Heritage Trail —
On T Street Northwest west of Florida Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
This hill, with its sweeping views of Washington and the Potomac, has tantalized visionaries since the 1800s. But few of their plans have been built. In 1873 businessman and city commissioner Thomas P. Morgan (whose name survives as part of . . . — Map (db m93415) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 8 — Serving the Neighborhood — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Columbia Road Northwest north of Euclid Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Furs by Gartenhaus and truffles by Avignon Freres. Hand-crafted ice cream from Budd's. Beginning in the 1910s, such neighborhood favorites occupied the commercial buildings to your right developed by Sanner and Barr. These fashionable shops . . . — Map (db m130708) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — Soldiers and Sailors Buried at Mt. Pleasant Plains Cemetery, 1870-1890 — (Walter Pierce Park)
On Calvert Street Northwest at Biltmore Street Northwest, on the left when traveling east on Calvert Street Northwest.
"I knew him when he was drafted for the war, and I knew him when he came back ... He had a soldier's clothes on when he came back, with a gun, canteen, knap sack and blanket."-- Lloyd Mudd, testifying to U.S. Pension officials about Enoch Magruder, . . . — Map (db m112866) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — The ›Duke‹ Ellington Memorial Bridge
On Calvert Street Northwest west of Biltmore Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
Named in honor of Edward Kennedy Ellington 1899-1974 Native Son Composer - Performer - Playwright International Statesman of Goodwill — Map (db m67913) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 18 — The Artistic Life — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 18th Street Northwest south of Columbia Road Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
The lively scene around you began with an arts movement in the 1950s. Musicians, dancers, and artists found centrally located 18th Street attractive as declining rents made it affordable. Early on, jazz guitarist Charlie Byrd brought fame . . . — Map (db m109111) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — The Envoy
On 16th Street Northwest north of Crescent Place Northwest, on the left when traveling north.
The Envoy is a designated D.C. Landmark and is placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior Built -- 1916 Restored -- 1981 — Map (db m135080) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 6 — The Latino Community — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Columbia Road Northwest east of 17th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east.
This is the heart of Washington’s Latino community. Once centered here and in nearby Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights, the community now extends throughout the region. As early as the 1910s, the Mexican, Ecuadoran, Cuban, and Spanish . . . — Map (db m130709) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — The Ontario Theater — Celebration Through Preservation
On Columbia Road Northwest at 17th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Columbia Road Northwest.
1950s This building was the site of Washington's Ontario Theatre, a local cinema that played a notable part in the area's history. Accomplished theater architect John J. Zink, best known for designing the art deco Uptown Theater in . . . — Map (db m114770) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 3 — The Roots of Reed-Cooke — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Kalorama Road Northwest east of 17th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
In 1947, the building on your left opened as the National Arena, a public roller rink and bowling alley. It also hosted professional wrestling, roller derbies, and rock concerts. In 1986 it became the Citadel Motion Picture Center, where . . . — Map (db m130710) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 9 — Tragedy at 18th and Columbia — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On Adams Mill Road Northwest north of Columbia Road Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
Before there was "Adams Morgan," this crossroads lent the neighborhood its name: "18th and Columbia." Here you could catch a streetcar to just about anywhere and buy nearly anything. But back in 1922, 18th and Columbia witnessed a tragedy. . . . — Map (db m130711) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 17 — Urban Renewal Era — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
On 18th Street Northwest at Kalorama Road Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 18th Street Northwest.
The charming Victorian rowhouses you see along 18th Street are an Adams Morgan signature. But they were nearly lost in the 1960s in the name of progress. During World War II, thousands flooded Washington to work for the government, . . . — Map (db m130712) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 11 — Walter Pierce Park — Roads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail —
Near Adams Mill Road Northwest south of Ontario Place Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
The Rock Creek Valley, once home to Native Americans, had attracted European settlers by 1703. Before he became president in 1825, John Quincy Adams purchased Adams Mills on Rock Creek from his cousin. The mills, just down the hill, processed . . . — Map (db m130713) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 12 — A Spirit of Community — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Albemarle Street Northwest at 42nd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Albemarle Street Northwest.
Episcopalians first gathered here to worship in 1874, when St. Alban's Church, located on Wisconsin Avenue and Massachusetts, started a mission for the area. In good weather, services took place under a majestic oak tree on land donated by . . . — Map (db m130927) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 17 — American University — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Ward Circle Northwest east of Nebraska Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
Beyond Ward Circle to your left is the campus of American University, chartered by Congress in 1893. Methodist Bishop John Fletcher Hurst guided the university’s development as a center for training future public servants. With its schools in . . . — Map (db m130932) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 1 — Beer, Popcorn, and Penny Candy — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Wisconsin Avenue Northwest north of Albemarle Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north.
Suburban shopping arrived in Tenleytown when Sears, Roebuck & Co. erected a Moderne style store here in 1941. The sleek faηade demonstrated the latest in department store design. Sears was the second Tenleytown business — after Giant . . . — Map (db m130918) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Church of the Covenant World War I Memorial
Near Nebraska Avenue Northwest south of Van Ness Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of the men of the Church of the Covenant who gave their lives in the Great War William Strong Jr Lieutenant January 1915 Expeditionary Force Enlisted at Toronto • Gassed at . . . — Map (db m130035) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Churches and Cemeteries — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood —
On 44th Street Northwest at Yuma Street Northwest on 44th Street Northwest.
One of the oldest churches in Tenleytown is the Eldbrooke United Methodist Church located on River Road. This church was founded in 1840 as the Mount Zion Methodist Church. Some of Tenleytown's earliest inhabitants are buried in The Methodist . . . — Map (db m112176) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Early Commerce — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood —
On Brandywine Street Northwest at 44th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Brandywine Street Northwest.
In the 1700s and 1800s Tenleytown's origin as a crossroad generated numerous commercial activities, such as tobacco trade, farms, dairies, and slaughterhouses, along with the "Tennallytown" Tavern. Murdock Mill Road led from Tenleytown to an early . . . — Map (db m112178) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Early Inhabitants — Tenleytown, DC — Country Village to City Neighborhood —
On Brandywine Street Northwest at 43rd Place Northwest on Brandywine Street Northwest. Reported damaged.
As an early country village, Tenleytown inhabitants held occupations such as farmers, millers, tavern owners and shopkeepers. Since horses provided the primary method of transportation until the early 1900s, blacksmithing was a popular occupation in . . . — Map (db m112179) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 15 — For the Children — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Nebraska Avenue Northwest at Van Ness Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Nebraska Avenue Northwest.
From 1927 until the late 1950s, the landscaped grounds across the street were the Hillcrest Children’s Center. It was founded downtown in 1814 as the Washington City Orphan Asylum by Marcia Burnes Van Ness and President Madison’s wife Dolley. . . . — Map (db m130930) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Fort Bayard
On River Road Northwest at Western Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling south on River Road Northwest.
Civil War Defenses of Washington 1861-1865. No visible evidence remains of Fort Bayard, which stood at the top of this hill. Named for Brig. Gen. George Bayard, mortally wounded at the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862. — Map (db m124) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — General Artemas Ward Monument — 1727–1800
On Ward Circle Northwest at Massachusetts Avenue Northwest, in the median on Ward Circle Northwest.
Son of Massachusetts • Graduate of Harvard College • Judge and legislator • Delegate 1780–1781 to the Continental Congress • Soldier of three wars • First commander of patriot forces. — Map (db m48362) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 7 — In Touch with the World — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Wisconsin Avenue Northwest at Brandywine Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Wisconsin Avenue Northwest.
“Tenley Tower,” behind you, dates from the mid-1940s. Western Union Telegraph Co. built it as part of an experimental system using microwaves to transmit telegrams in the mid-Atlantic region. This new technology helped erase . . . — Map (db m130925) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 18 — Live on Our Stage! — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Nebraska Avenue Northwest south of Van Ness Street Northwest, on the left when traveling south.
When NBC radio and television and its local affiliate, WRC, moved to these new headquarters in 1958, the average TV screen measured 12 inches. The facility opened with six studios—three TV and three radio. Soon history happened here. . . . — Map (db m47866) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Luis Alves De Lima E Silva
On Wisconsin Avenue Northwest south of Chesapeake Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Luis Alves de Lima e Silva Duke of Caxias Marshal, hero and patron of the undefeated Brazilian Army. — Map (db m129203) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 14 — On the Circle — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Tenley Circle Northwest at Yuma Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Tenley Circle Northwest.
In the 1930s city engineers created Tenley Circle where commuters heading cross-town or downtown changed streetcars. Across the street and to the left of Tenley Circle, a surviving strip of historic Grant Road meets Wisconsin Avenue. In the . . . — Map (db m130929) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 10 — Set in Stone — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Heritage Trail —
On 42nd Street Northwest at River Road Northwest, on the left when traveling north on 42nd Street Northwest.
You are standing on the west side of Mt. Airy, a subdivision spanning Wisconsin Avenue laid out in the late 1890s. Mt. Airy evolved into a dense, working-class neighborhood, where policemen and dairymen lived in modest houses. Among them . . . — Map (db m130926) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — Society of Colonial Wars World War I Memorial
Near Nebraska Avenue Northwest south of Van Ness Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
In reverent memory of Alan Ogilvie Clephane Elias Quereau Horton Guy Wilkinson Stuart Castle who willingly gave their lives for their country in the World War This memorial is erected by The Society of Colonial Wars . . . — Map (db m130125) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — The National Presbyterian Church
Near Nebraska Avenue Northwest south of Van Ness Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
The National Presbyterian Church Established on the foundation of The Church of the Covenant and The First Presbyterian Church The Church of the Covenant was organized in 1883 and since 1885 has worshipped in . . . — Map (db m130036) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — The National Presbyterian Church World War II Memorial
Near Nebraska Avenue Northwest south of Van Ness Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
In honored memory of the men of this congregation who gave their lives for their country in the War 1941 - 1945 Samuel Kendall Angus, U.S.A. Charles Stone Borden, A.A.F. David Rumbough Donaldson, U.S.A. William B. Drysdale, . . . — Map (db m130124) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 13 — To the Rescue — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Yuma Street Northwest east of 42nd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east.
The brick building across the street opened in 1928 as the Convent of Bon Secours (literally, “good help”). The convent’s sisters had arrived in Baltimore from France in 1881. In Baltimore they quietly nursed both wealthy and needy . . . — Map (db m130928) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 16 — Winning the War — Top of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail —
On Nebraska Avenue Northwest south of Van Ness Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
The U.S. Navy arrived across the street at 3801 Nebraska Avenue during World War II, taking the Colonial style red-brick campus of Mount Vernon Seminary for secret “essential wartime activities.” Soon more than 5,000 workers . . . — Map (db m130931) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 13 — A Neighborhood Oasis — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast south of U Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north.
Follow Good Hope Road under the highway to your left to reach Anacostia Park, a longtime neighborhood oasis. In 1914, after years of citizen requests, Congress directed the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to "improve" the Anacostia River by . . . — Map (db m130717) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 14 — Booth's Escape — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast at Good Hope Road Southeast, on the right when traveling north on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast.
Late On The Night Of April 14, 1865, a guard at the other end of the Navy Yard Bridge allowed a young man on horseback to cross, despite a wartime curfew. Unbeknownst to the guard, the rider, John Wilkes Booth, had just shot President Abraham . . . — Map (db m100715) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 10 — Crossing Lines — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast north of Morris Road Southeast when traveling north.
Across the street is the former 11th Precinct Police Station. In 1993 it became the Max Robinson Center for Health and Living, providing services for people with HIV/AIDS. Whether by design or by accident, in 1910 the city built . . . — Map (db m100763) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — Fort Stanton — Civil War Defenses of Washington — 1861 – 1865 —
Near Morris Road Southeast west of 16th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling west.
Earthworks of Fort Stanton are visible in the wooded area 200 yards in front of you. Diagram: Fort Stanton from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers drawing. Fort Stanton was named for Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, was the first fort . . . — Map (db m46623) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — Frederick Douglass National Historic Site
Near W Street Southeast at 14th Street Southeast, on the left when traveling west.
Also known as Cedar Hill, this site encompasses the estate owned by Frederick Douglass from 1877 until his death in 1895. In honor of Douglass’ work as an author, orator, abolitionist, statesman, and civil rights leader, this site is designated a . . . — Map (db m40846) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — Frederick Douglass's Rustic Retreat — Frederick Douglass National Historic Site — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Near W Street Southeast east of 14th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
Where do you go when you do not want to be disturbed? Frederick Douglass came to this tiny stone cabin that he called the Growlery. Coined by Charles Dickens, the word "Growlery" literally means a place to growl. Douglass kept his Growlery . . . — Map (db m130979) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 19 — Mother Churches and Their Daughters — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On 13th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north.
Across This Intersection is St. Teresa of Avila, the first Catholic Church east of the Anacostia River. It is called the “mother church” because many area congregations are its offshoots. As Uniontown grew, so did its Catholic . . . — Map (db m130719) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 20 — Rose's Row — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On U Street Southeast at 13th Street Southeast, on the left when traveling west on U Street Southeast.
Across the intersection to your left is Rose's Row, three one-family and three two-family houses built in 1890 by local saloon-keeper William H. Rose. Rose's son Daniel designed them in the popular Italianate style and carefully crafted a . . . — Map (db m130720) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — The Big Chair — Re-dedication April 25, 2006
On V Street Southeast at Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling south on V Street Southeast.
This community landmark represents the Curtis Companies long standing allegience to the neighborhood and steadfast committment to unity, prosperity and good will to all Washingtonians and friends of Anacostia. Designers: John Kidwell & A . . . — Map (db m5446) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 12 — The Big Chair — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast at V Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast.
This Anacostia icon once marked the entrance to Curtis Brothers Furniture Co. The business dated to 1926, when young Fred and George Curtis acquired a Model T Ford truck to deliver ice, then progressed to moving furniture. They soon rented a . . . — Map (db m100690) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — The Growlery
Near W Street Southeast east of 14th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east. Reported permanently removed.
Here stood Frederick Douglass’ rustic retreat from domestic society, where he could think, read and write undisturbed. Evoking the image of a lion’s lair, he called his hideaway the Growlery. It was simply furnished with a lounge, a high desk and a . . . — Map (db m5362) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 18 — The Sage of Anacostia — An East-of-the River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On W Street Southeast at 14th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east on W Street Southeast.
This imposing property once belonged to Anacostia’s most famous resident: Frederick Douglass. After escaping slavery as a young man, Douglass rose to become a distinguished abolitionist, writer, publisher, and orator. By the 1860s Douglass was . . . — Map (db m88723) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — The World’s Largest Chair
On V Street Southeast at Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast, on the left when traveling west on V Street Southeast.
Presented to Curtis Bros. for their outstanding leadership and service to the public by the Basset Furniture Industries. The chair made of solid Honduras mahogany is 19½ feet tall and weighs 4600 pounds. Designer: . . . — Map (db m5459) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — Thurgood Marshall
Near Erie Street Southeast east of 18th Place Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
Real Justice The Spirit of Thurgood Marshall 7-2-08 to 1-24-98 I still believe firmly that the right will win out. Justice for all people, regardless of race, creed or color. The long-time NAACP lawyer who argued successfully in . . . — Map (db m88468) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 11 — Transit and Trade — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast at W Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast.
The arrival of modern transportation after the Civil War transformed Anacostia. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad opened a branch line along the river here in 1874, brining industry. Two years later businessman and developer Henry Griswold launched . . . — Map (db m130721) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 17 — Uniontown, DC's First Suburb — East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On 14th Street Southeast south of U Street Southeast, in the median.
Today's Anacostia Historic District began in 1854 as Uniontown, Washington's first planned suburb. The Union Land Association saw the large Navy Yard workforce across the Anacostia River as potential customers for building lots they carved out . . . — Map (db m95972) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Arboretum — Capitol Columns
Near Elipse Road Northeast at Beechwood Road Northeast, on the left when traveling north.
These 22 Corinthian sandstone columns were among 24 that were part of the east portico of the United States Capitol. Architect Charles Bullfinch oversaw construction of the portico using a design handed down by his predecessors, William Thornton and . . . — Map (db m918) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Arboretum — Morrison Azalea Garden
Near Eagle Nest Road Northeast west of Azalea Road Northeast, on the left when traveling east.
Assembled in this garden is a permanent collection of the Glenn Dale Hybrid Azaleas, originated, selected, and named by B. Y. Morrison, first Director of the U.S. National Arboretum. — Map (db m966) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Arboretum — National Capitol Columns
Near Elipse Road Northeast north of Beechwood Road Northeast, on the right when traveling south.
The presence of the National Capitol Columns on the knoll in this meadow was the inspiration of Ethel Shields Garrett, patron and friend of the National Arboretum. It was through her vision, courage, and determination for thirty years that these . . . — Map (db m917) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Arboretum — Sandstone Sculptures
On Eagle Nest Road Northeast north of Azalea Road Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
The sandstone base and capital are from a Corinthian column that once graced the east central portico of the United States Capitol. The columns were dismantled in 1958 to make way for the east front extension, where marble reproductions now stand. . . . — Map (db m7621) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 1950 — Earl Lloyd — ULINE —
On 3rd Street Northeast 0.1 miles south of M Street Northeast, on the right when traveling south.
First African American to play in an NBA game — Map (db m139209) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 1953 — Dwight D. Eisenhower — ULINE —
On 3rd Street Northeast 0.1 miles north of L Street Northeast, on the left when traveling north.
President Eisenhower's First Inaugural Ball — Map (db m139210) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 1964 — The Beatles — ULINE —
On 3rd Street Northeast 0.1 miles south of M Street Northeast, on the right when traveling south.
First Concert in the USA — Map (db m139212) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — A Quiet Place — Exhibit by Salvator Pirrone
On H Street Northeast east of 13th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east. Reported permanently removed.
100 ft x 5 ft Mylar paper, acrylic paint 2018 This installation is inspired by the work and legacy of the late conductor and composer Leonard Bernstein. Informed by Bernstein's varied lyrical style and socially motivated themes, the . . . — Map (db m115787) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 15 — At the Crossroads — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at 8th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west on H Street Northeast.
One year before Congress and the President arrived in their new capital city in 1800, Washington's Navy Yard opened at the foot of Eighth Street, two miles south of this sign. The yard soon became the city's biggest employer. In 1908 streetcars . . . — Map (db m71680) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 9 — Brickyards to Buildings — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On Florida Avenue Northeast at 10th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on Florida Avenue Northeast.
The Trinidad neighborhood, named for W.W. Corcoran's original estate, got its start in the 1890s after the Washington Brick Machine Company used up the clay here making bricks. With H Street filling in with houses and businesses, the company . . . — Map (db m71686) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 19 — Cathy Hughes — Multi-Media & Radio Pioneer — Hub, Home, Heart: Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at 4th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on H Street Northeast.
Cathy Hughes and WOL-AM have made an indelible mark on this Washington D.C. community. In 1982, Hughes purchased a building at the corner of 4th and H Streets and found it littered with almost 200 hypodermic needles and crack pipes. The home of her . . . — Map (db m111969) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 5 — Community Caretakers — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On 3rd Street Northeast at H Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north on 3rd Street Northeast.
The elegant Romanesque portion of the Senate Square condominium complex started life in 1874 as the Little Sisters of the Poor House for the Aged. St. Aloysius Church member Ellen Sherman, wife of Civil War General William Tecumseh Sherman, . . . — Map (db m71682) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 10 — Culture and Commerce — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at 13th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west on H Street Northeast.
When the Atlas Performing Arts Center opened in 2005, it gave hope to an area still recovering from the destruction following the assassination of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1968. But when K-B's Atlas movie house opened here in . . . — Map (db m71687) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 13 — Enterprising Families — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at 13th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on H Street Northeast.
The small scale and low rents of H Street's oldest buildings have lured waves of immigrant entrepreneurs since the buildings were new in the 1880s. By 1930, alongside Greek, Italian, Irish, and other immigrant-owned shops, at least 75 . . . — Map (db m71690) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 17 — Get Behind the Wheel — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at 7th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on H Street Northeast.
Ourisman Chevrolet once occupied almost the entire north side of this block. After two years as a top-performing Chevy salesman on Connecticut Avenue, and with a $2,000 loan from his widowed mother, Benjamin Ourisman opened his own dealership . . . — Map (db m71693) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 12 — Mediterranean Imports — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On Maryland Avenue Northeast at G Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west on Maryland Avenue Northeast.
Maryland Avenue in the 1930s was home to immigrants from around the Mediterranean. Evelyn Kogok Hier grew up at 1328 Maryland Avenue. She remembered her next-door neighbor, the Right Reverend Ayoub (Job) Salloom, hosting after-church gatherings . . . — Map (db m71689) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 18 — Sanctuaries — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at 6th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east on H Street Northeast.
Calvary Episcopal Church, half a block north at 820 Sixth Street, has been a community anchor since 1901. For most of its early years, the congregation, led by founding rector Reverend Franklin I.A. Bennett, met at 11th and G. In 1941 it . . . — Map (db m71694) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 14 — The Changing Faces of H Street — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at 11th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west on H Street Northeast.
The handsome church on this corner is the second to occupy this spot. The first was a small brick chapel built by John A. Douglas in 1878 for the new Memorial Methodist Episcopal Church. Soon after, it was renamed Douglas Memorial Methodist . . . — Map (db m71691) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 16 — The Fires of 1968 — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at 7th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west on H Street Northeast.
On Friday, April 5, 1968 the 600 block of H Street went up in flames. The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., had been assassinated a day earlier, and grief-stricken, angry men and women had taken to the streets across the city. Some took part . . . — Map (db m71692) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 11 — The Hub — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On H Street Northeast at Maryland Avenue Northeast (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling east on H Street Northeast.
The starburst intersection of five major roads marks this spot as a transportation hub for the neighborhood and the region. Shortly after Congress arrived in Washington in 1800, city leaders chose an old farm road to create a private toll . . . — Map (db m71688) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 6 — The Iceman's Arena — Hub, Home, Heart — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
On M Street Northeast at 3rd Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west on M Street Northeast.
Uline Arena was built in 1941 by ice maker Mike Uline to present ice skating, hocky, basketball, and tennis. The Dutch immigrant, originally named Migiel Uihlein, had made a fortune patenting ice production equipment and selling ice from his . . . — Map (db m71683) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — "The Healing Poles" — 9-11 Memorial — [Historic Congressional Cemetery] —
Near 17th Street Southeast at H Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
Peace – War [Rendering of the Healing Totem Poles] Liberty - Freedom SOVEREIGNTY The cross piece at the top carries two eagles: Peace, a female, faces east; War, a male, faces west. The eagles are symbols of courage . . . — Map (db m39960) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Barney at Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail —
Near 17th Street Southeast at G Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north.
Barney Circle honors U.S. Navy Commodore Joshua Barney. In August 1814, Barney, his Chesapeake Flotillamen, and a contingent of U.S. Marines guarded a bridge over the Eastern Branch (Anacostia River) on today's Bladensburg Road, NE. When it became . . . — Map (db m80473) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Congressional Cemetery Government Lots
Near Potomac Avenue Southeast at E Street Southeasr, on the right when traveling east.
Civil War Washington City Over the course of the Civil War, the nation's capital was transformed. The dignified government city Pierre Charles L' Enfant laid out in 1791 was hardened into a sprawling military center. Encircled by strong . . . — Map (db m139512) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Elbridge Gerry
Near E Street Southeast west of 19th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
In Honor of Elbridge Gerry The only signer of the Declaration of Independence Interred in the District of Columbia — Map (db m81296) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — F-16 Fighting Falcon — 113 Wing, D.C. Air National Guard —
On East Capitol Street Southeast west of 22nd Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
Fighting Falcon The F-16 became the D.C. Air National Guard alert duty aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001. For twelve years, this capable fighter has responded to more than 4,000 individual alert missions over the District of Columbia. The . . . — Map (db m74097) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — General Peterson Goodwyn
Near E Street Southeast east of Potomac Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
Commemorating The American Revolutionary Service of General Peterson Goodwyn General Peterson Goodwyn equipped his own company and was cited for gallantry at the battles of Smithfield and Great Bridge — member of the Virginia House . . . — Map (db m80692) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Heroes of 1814 — Star-Spangled Banner Historic Trail —
On E Street Southeast east of Potomac Avenue Southeast, on the left when traveling east.
Congressional Cemetery, founded 1807, is the resting ground for many War of 1812 figures. Among them are Navy Yard Commandant Thomas Tingey, the first architect of the Capitol, Dr. William Thornton, State Department Clerk Stephen Pleasonton, and . . . — Map (db m80481) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Historic Congressional Cemetery — National Register of Historic Places —
Near E Street Southeast at Potomac Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
Historic Congressional Cemetery listed in the National Registry of Historic Places and District of Columbia Landmarks — Map (db m74098) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — John Philip Sousa — Congressional Cemetery —
Near 17th Street Southeast south of G Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north.
John Philip Sousa (1854–1932), known as the “March King,” grew up in Washington on G Street SE, between 6th and 7th. Sousa became a leader of the Marine Band in 1880 and served in this position for 12 years, leading band tours . . . — Map (db m82268) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Peter Perkins Pitchlynn — (Ha-tchoo-tuc-knee)
Near E Street SE at Potomac Avenue SE, on the right when traveling east.
Choctaw Chief—Diplomat—Education Leader Born January 30, 1896 Died January 17, 1881 • Principal Chief, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma 1864-1866 • Tribal Commissioner for land claims against the U.S. Government (1853-61 — . . . — Map (db m139480) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Seafarers Yacht Club — African American Heritage Trail - Washington, D.C. — 1950 M Street, SE —
On M Street Southeast east of Water Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
The Seafarers Yacht Club is the oldest African American boat club on the East Coast. It was founded in 1945 by Lewis T. Green, Sr., a vocational arts teacher in the DC Public Schools who built boats as a hobby. Needing a dock, he contacted the U.S. . . . — Map (db m89445) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — U.S. Arsenal Explosion Memorial
Near 17th Street Southeast at G Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north.
Dedicated to the Memory of the Victims of the U.S. Arsenal Explosion on June 17, 1864 Ellen Roche Julia McEwen Bridget Dunn W. E. Tippett Margaret Horan Johanna Connors Susan Harris Lizzie Brahler Margaret Yonson . . . — Map (db m80961) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — UH-IV Iroquois — Army National Guard — District of Columbia Armory —
On East Capitol Street Southeast east of 19th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
The venerable UH-I “HUEY” helicopter was a beloved work horse for the District of Columbia Army National Guard, safely and reliably supporting the Nation’s Capital for over 40 years. With 2-4 crew members, HUEYs carried up to 6 litter . . . — Map (db m73785) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barry Farm — Campbell African Methodist Episcopal Church — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 2562 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast at Stanton Road Southeast, on the right when traveling north on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast.
Campbell AME, established in 1867 as Mount Zion AME, was an outgrowth of its overcrowded parent church, Allen Chapel AME, founded in 1850. When it moved to a location near the present one in 1890, Mount Zion was renamed for AME Bishop Jabez B. . . . — Map (db m33749) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barry Farm — 4 — Hillsdale — An East of the River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast north of Eaton Road Southeast, on the right when traveling south.
You are standing in the middle of what once was a large estate owned by James Barry. The Washington City merchant, land speculator, and councilman purchased part of the "St. Elizabeths" tract hoping to profit as the city expanded eastward. . . . — Map (db m101706) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barry Farm — 5 — The Curative Powers of Nature — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast north of Pomeroy Road Southeast, on the right when traveling south.
The fence and wall ahead of you, on either side of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, enclose historic St. Elizabeths Hospital. The pioneering facility opened in 1855 to treat mentally ill members of the armed forces and DC residents. At a time when . . . — Map (db m100694) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barry Farms — 3 — Barry Farm Dwellings — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia HeritageTrail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast north of Sumner Road Southeast, on the right when traveling south.
Just beyond this sign is the edge of Barry Farm Dwellings, built during World War II for African American families. The war had caused acute housing shortages, so people divided large homes into rooming houses, took in boarders, or crammed into . . . — Map (db m113608) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bellevue — Fort Greble — Civil War Defenses of Washington — 1861-1865 —
On Elmira Street Southwest at Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling west on Elmira Street Southwest.
Earthworks of Fort Greble are visible beyond this exhibit. Fort Greble was named in honor of Lt. John T. Greble, slain at the Battle of Big Bethel, June 10, 1861, the first U.S. Military Academy graduate killed in the Civil War. — Map (db m40866) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Benning Ridge — Fort Chaplin — Civil War Defenses of Washington — 1861-1865 —
On Texas Avenue Southeast at C Street Southeast, on the right when traveling south on Texas Avenue Southeast.
Earthworks of Fort Chaplin are visible through the wooded areas at the top of the hill. Fort Chaplin was named in honor of Col. Daniel Chaplin, who was mortally wounded on August 17, 1864, at Deep Bottom, Virginia. — Map (db m10628) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — Barnett Aden Gallery — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 127 Randolph Place, NW —
On Randolph Place Northwest west of 1st Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
The Barnett Aden Gallery, which operated on the first floor of this house between 1943 and 1968, was the first privately owned black art gallery in the United States. It was founded by James Vernon Herring (1897-1969), chair of Howard University's . . . — Map (db m110518) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 10 — Bloomingdale — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail —
On V Street Northwest at 1st Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on V Street Northwest.
You are standing in the heart of Bloomingdale. Noted DC developer Harry Wardman, responsible for 180 Bloomingdale houses, was one of many builders who built here between 1890 and 1910. These Victorian rowhouses were designed for well-to-do . . . — Map (db m130827) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 8 — Court Nullifies Racial Covenants — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail —
On Bryant Street Northwest west of 1st Street Northwest, on the left when traveling east.
In the 1940s, Homeowners in the 100 block of Bryant Street breached a contract when they sold their houses to African Americans. Covenants, or agreements, in their real estate deeds prohibited "the sale of the house to anyone of the Negro race" . . . — Map (db m130828) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 11 — Dividing Line — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail —
On T Street Northwest at 1st Street Northwest, on the left when traveling east on T Street Northwest.
This busy stretch of Rhode Island Avenue was a racial dividing line even as DC became majority African American in 1957. "African Americans were not welcome on [the north] side of the street," commented Reverend Bobby Livingston years later, . . . — Map (db m130840) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 12 — Fathers and Sons — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail —
On T Street Northwest at North Capitol Street Northwest on T Street Northwest.
St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church celebrated its first Mass in 1901 in a nearby mansion. Father Eugene Hannan, a graduate of Gonzaga High School just south of here, founded St. Martin's to serve the growing Catholic population that dated to . . . — Map (db m130841) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 14 — Great Expectations — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail —
On Randolph Place Northwest at 2nd Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Randolph Place Northwest.
Bloomingdale of the 1940s and '50s was a village of high expectations. Within a block of this sign lived four young women who grew up to be judges. Anna Diggs Taylor rose to chief judge of the U.S. District Court in Michigan. The daughter . . . — Map (db m130843) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 13 — Home to Headliners — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail —
On Randolph Place Northwest at 1st Street Northwest, on the left when traveling west on Randolph Place Northwest.
Edward Brooke, who represented Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate from 1967 to 1979, was the first African American elected to the Senate in the 20th century. Brooke was born at 1938 Third Street and later lived with his family at 1730 First . . . — Map (db m130842) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — Metropolitan Wesley A.M.E. Zion Church — The Gate Way to Freedom
On North Capitol Street Northwest at R Street Northwest on North Capitol Street Northwest.
Organized 1832. 2nd Church Built 1833. Admitted to Philadelphia-Baltimore Conference, 1837. 3rd Church Built 1888. Relocated present site, 1956. Bishop Raymond Luthe Jones, Presiding Bishop, 4th Episcopal District. Dr. William B. . . . — Map (db m11042) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 7 — Separate Schools — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail —
On 2nd Street Northwest near Elm Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
The Nathaniel Gage School for white children opened here in 1904, when Washington's public school system was segregated. By the 1930s, even though LeDroit Park was an African American neighborhood, Gage remained white only. "I had to walk by the . . . — Map (db m130839) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 8 — Water for the City — Worthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail —
On 2nd Street Northwest at Bryant Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 2nd Street Northwest.
You are entering Bloomingdale. Its name recalls the estate of Navy Commander George Beale, who served in the War of 1812, and his wife Emily, the daughter of Commodore Thomas Truxton. The estate occupied the land now bounded by Florida Avenue, T . . . — Map (db m110508) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brentwood — Former Site, Columbian Harmony Cemetery — 1857-1959
Near Washington Place Northeast at Rhode Island Avenue Northeast (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south.
Many distinguished Black citizens including Civil War veterans were buried in this cemetery. These bodies now rest in the new National Harmony Memorial Park Cemetery in Maryland. — Map (db m16069) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 16 — “Get Down You Fool” — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Quackenbos Street Northwest east of 13th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling west.
Hearing those words, President Abraham Lincoln ducked down from the Fort Stevens parapet during the Civil War battle that stopped the Confederates from taking Washington. On July 9, 1864, some 15,000 Rebels led by General Jubal A. Early . . . — Map (db m72829) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 18 — A Streetcar Named Brightwood — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) at Peabody Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north on Georgia Avenue Northwest.
The Large Structure across Georgia Avenue opened in 1909 as a "car barn" for the Brightwood Railway. The facility could service more than 40 streetcars at once, and often did so late at night. As a young boy in the 1950s, Thomas Reardon . . . — Map (db m72831) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 7 — An African American Enclave — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On 14th Street Northwest at Rock Creek Ford Road Northwest on 14th Street Northwest.
Even before emancipation freed Washington's enslaved people in April 1862, a free African American community had developed here amid the European American farmers. The District of Columbia, unlike its neighbors, permitted the formerly enslaved . . . — Map (db m72821) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Army Medical Museum
Near Dahlia Street Northwest east of 14th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling east.
Army Medical Museum has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provision of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the . . . — Map (db m17095) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 17 — Aunt Betty's Story — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On 13th Street Northwest at Quakenbos Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 13th Street Northwest.
Elizabeth Proctor Thomas (1821-1917), a free Black woman whose image appears on each Brightwood Heritage Trail sign, once owned 11 acres in this area. Known, respectfully in her old age as "Aunt Betty," Thomas and her husband James farmed and kept . . . — Map (db m72830) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 12 — Automobiling on The Avenue — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) at Underwood Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Georgia Avenue Northwest.
This busy section once was a "Country Road" to Washingtonians looking for peace and recreation. If you drove by here a century ago, you would have passed woods and large estates, and might even have seen fox hunters. Across Georgia was the . . . — Map (db m72813) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Battle of Fort Stevens — Former Walter Reed Army Medical Center — Walking Tour 1 —
On Butternut Street Northwest at 12th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling west on Butternut Street Northwest.
Although nothing remains of the original landscape, this area was a battleground of the only Civil War battle fought in Washington. On July 11, 1864, Confederate troops attempted to capture the Union's capitol by first taking a meagerly defended . . . — Map (db m105292) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 5 — Build It And They Will Come — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Missouri Avenue Northwest at Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling west on Missouri Avenue Northwest.
In 1818 the Private Rockville and Washington Turnpike Co. began building a road to link Washington City to Rockville, Maryland. This road helped create a village. A toll gate on what today is Georgia Avenue between Quackenbos and Rittenhouse . . . — Map (db m72819) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 8 — Early Entrepreneurs — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On 14th Street Northwest at Rittenhouse Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north on 14th Street Northwest.
Apple and Peach Trees once covered the slopes to your left, some 40 acres' worth, all planted by noted horticulturalist John Saul (1819-1897). In the 1870s Saul was one of Brghtwood's largest landowners. In addition to these orchards, he . . . — Map (db m72822) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Fort Stevens
On 13th Street Northwest at Quakenbos Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 13th Street Northwest.
Civil War Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 The partial reconstruction of Fort Stevens that you see today was done by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1937. No visible evidence of the original fort remains. Battle of Fort Stevens July 11-12, . . . — Map (db m3028) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Fort Stevens — Rock Creek Park
On Quackenbos Street Northwest at 13th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling east on Quackenbos Street Northwest.
We haven’t taken Washington, but we scared Abe Lincoln like hell! ” General Jubal Anderson Early Built between 1861-1863 this structure was originally called Fort Massachusetts and guarded the northern defenses of the . . . — Map (db m49456) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Lincoln Under Fire at Fort Stevens
Near 13th Street Northwest north of Fort Stevens Drive Northwest, on the right when traveling north.
Lincoln Under Fire at Fort Stevens July 12, 1864 — Map (db m901) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Military Road School — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1375 Missouri Avenue, NW —
On Missouri Avenue Northwest east of 14th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
The Military Road School opened in 1864 here along what then was Military Road, an artery linking Civil War forts. The School was one of the first to open after Congress authorized public education for Washington's African Americans in 1862. . . . — Map (db m115232) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 9 — Never Again Such Homes At the Price! — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Sheridan Street Northwest east of 14th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
We have Harry Wardman to thank for the rich variety of Sheridan Street rowhouses. Wardman, considered Washington's most prolific developer, built hundreds of offices, apartments, hotels, and comfortable rowhouses from 1899 to 1939. When he . . . — Map (db m72823) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 14 — Park and Shop! — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) south of Sheridan Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south. Reported missing.
Back in the 1920s, most people walked or rode a streetcar to go shopping. Then cars became affordable, and people drove everywhere. Soon the shopping center, with free parking, was born. In 1937 Brightwood's "Park and Shop" opened on Georgia . . . — Map (db m72826) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Scale Model of Fort Stevens
On Quackenbos Street Northwest near 13th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling east.
Dedicated September 1936 in memory of The Grand Army of the Republic by the Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865 — Map (db m49526) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 6 — School Days — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Missouri Avenue Northwest west of 13th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
The School Building Just Ahead of You Opened In 1912 as the Military Road School, the area's third public elementary for African Americans. For decades it was the only public school serving black children in Upper Northwest and nearby . . . — Map (db m110235) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Site of a Tulip Tree
On Butternut Street Northwest west of Georgia Avenue Northwest (Route 29), on the right when traveling west.
Used as a signal station · by · Confederate soldiers under Gen. Jubal A. Early during the attack on · Washington · July 11 and 12, 1864 Also used by Confederate Sharpshooters The lower plaque reads: Two cannon balls . . . — Map (db m42698) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 15 — The Rock on Brightwood Avenue — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) at Quackenbos Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Georgia Avenue Northwest. Reported missing.
Across Quackenbos Street Emory United Methodist Church. Named to honor Bishop John Emory of Maryland (1789-1835), the congregation dates from 1832. From the beginning, Emory welcomed all races but, like most Washington churches then, seated . . . — Map (db m118907) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 11 — The Seventh Street Turnpike — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Piney Branch Road Northwest at Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling west on Piney Branch Road Northwest.
On July 11 and 12, 1864, this intersection was the center of the only Civil War battle fought in the District of Columbia. Here, Union sharpshooters at Fort Stevens, supported by forces across the northernmost of Washington's ring of forts, . . . — Map (db m123226) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — To Count So High (Beacon), 2017 — Tommy Bobo
On Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) south of Elder Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Custom software, LED light bulbs, and existing light posts. This year marks the centennial of the first armed forces personnel qualifying for a Purple Heart. Over the last century 1.9 million Americans have been awarded a Purple Heart for loss . . . — Map (db m125298) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Near Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) south of Elder Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south.
Named in honor of Major Walter Reed, pioneer in military medicine. Although first envisioned during the Civil War, it was not until 1909 that an army general hospital was built in Washington. Named in honor of Major Walter Reed, famed for . . . — Map (db m14164) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — Walter Reed Memorial
On Main Drive Northwest at 14th Street Northwest, in the median on Main Drive Northwest.
Walter Reed 1851 - 1902 Bacteriologist - Research Scientist In honor of his great work in the fight for the eradication of yellow fever Reverse: Insignia of the Army Medical Corps In recognition of the high public service of . . . — Map (db m68990) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 10 — What a Beautiful Location, Brightwood — Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail —
On Tuckerman Street Northwest at 13th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Tuckerman Street Northwest.
In the 1930s as now, this area was a family friendly, "move-up" destination for hard-working government clerks and professionals. Like many DC neighborhoods, Brightwood had covenants prohibiting sales to certain white ethnics and African . . . — Map (db m72777) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Carlo Angelo Facchina
Near 14th Street Northeast south of Quincy Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
In loving memory Carlo Angelo Facchina First Mosaicista for the Franciscan Monastery Born Sequals, Italia 1870 Died Brookland, D.C. 1948 — Map (db m111793) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Charles Richard Drew Memorial Bridge
On Michigan Avenue Northeast east of 7th Street Northeast, on the left when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m6262) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Corinthian Capital
Near 14th Street Northeast south of Quincy Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
Corinthian Capital Circa 2nd-3rd century AD. This capital, the top of a column, is from Jerusalem. Capitals of this type can be seen in Roman buildings constructed during the time of the Roman occupation of the Holy Land. Good examples can still be . . . — Map (db m111792) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Erected to the Memory of the Very Reverend Commissaries
Near 14th Street Northeast south of Quincy Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
Erected to the memory of the very Reverend Commissaries of the Holy Land for the United States; who have, since 1880 contributed to the preservation of the Holy-Places and prospered the charitable missionary activities of the Franciscan Custody of . . . — Map (db m111791) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Fort Bunker Hill — Civil War Defenses of Washington — 1861-1865 —
On 14th Street Northeast at Perry Street Northeast, on the left when traveling north on 14th Street Northeast.
Captions: Fort Bunker Hill from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers drawing. Built by the 11th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment who named the fort after the Revolutionary War battle in their home state. Other Civil War fort . . . — Map (db m111794) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Fort Bunker Hill
Near Otis Street Northeast near 14th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
One of the Civil War Defenses of Washington erected in the fall of 1861, Fort Bunker Hill occupied an important position between Fort Totten and Fort Lincoln in the defense of the National Capital. Thirteen guns and mortars were mounted in the fort. — Map (db m111795) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Franciscan Monastery
Near 14th Street Northeast at Quincy Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
D.C. Historic Preservation Division Landmark Designee November 8, 1964 National Register of Historic Places Designee January 17, 1991 — Map (db m111786) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Lois Mailou Jones Residence — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1220 Quincy Street, NE —
On Quincy Street Northeast east of 12th Street Northeast.
Lois Mailou Jones (1905-1998), internationally acclaimed artist and teacher, lived here from the 1950s into the 1970s. Born and educated in Boston, Jones joined the Howard University Art Department in 1930 and stayed for nearly 50 years. She began . . . — Map (db m111784) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Robert Clifton Weaver Residence Site — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 3519 14th Street, NE —
On 14th Street Northeast north of Monroe Street Northeast.
Economist Robert Clifton Weaver (1907-1997) was born in Washington and grew up here in Brookland. After graduating from Dunbar High School, he earned three degrees in economics from Harvard and moved into a long career in government service. Weaver . . . — Map (db m111796) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Sterling A. Brown Residence — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1222 Kearny Street, NE —
On Kearny Street Northeast east of 12th Street Northeast.
Sterling Brown (1901-1989) was a central figure of the New Negro Renaissance of the 1920s and '30s and the Black Arts Movement of the 1960s and '70s. Brown's work includes Southern Road (1932), The Negro in American Fiction (1937), and . . . — Map (db m111799) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — The Jackson H. Gerhart House — Engine Company 17 — Constructed 1902 - Renovated 2007 —
On Monroe Street Northeast east of 12th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling east.
Dedicated in memory of the longest serving member of Engine Company 17, Wagon Driver Jackson H. Gerhart. He was appointed on Feb. 3, 1963 and retired on Sept. 30, 1994. He succumbed to injuries sustained in the line of duty while operating as a . . . — Map (db m111800) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — The Poet's House — 1222 Kearney Street N.E. — Sterling Allen Brown (1901-1989) —
On Kearny Street Northeast west of 13th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m111797) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Very Rev. Charles A. Vissani, O.F.M.
On 14th Street Northeast north of Quincy Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
Sacred to the memory of Very Rev. Charles A. Vissani, O.F.M. First Commissary General of the Holy Land for the United States 1880 - 1896 The first to conduct an American Catholic pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 1889, and to place the . . . — Map (db m111788) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Very Rev. Charles A. Vissani, O.F.M.
On 14th Street Northeast near Quincy Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
Sacred to the memory of Very Rev. Charles A. Vissani, O.F.M. Founder of the cause of the Holy Land in the United States Erected to commemorate the centenary of the First Commissariat in New York City in 1880 Fr. Charles . . . — Map (db m111789) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brookland — Very Rev. Godfrey Schilling, O.F.M.
Near 14th Street Northeast south of Quincy Street Northeast, on the right when traveling north.
Sacred to the memory of Very Rev. Godfrey Schilling, O.F.M. 1896-1901 Commissary 1911-1922 Founder of this Memorial Church and Monastery of the Holy Sepulcher in 1897. Fr. Godfrey was the first American Missionary to the Holy Land. By . . . — Map (db m111787) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Buena Vista — 9 — A Museum for the Community — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast south of Talbert Street Southeast when traveling north.
Across the street is the former Carver Theatre, built in 1948 as the first nonsegregated movie house in Southeast Washington. It closed in 1957 becoming, in turn, a roller rink, a church, and a funeral parlor. Then a decade later, a museum . . . — Map (db m100824) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Buena Vista — 1 — A Navy Town — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia HeritageTrail —
On Howard Road Southeast at Shannon Place Southeast, on the right when traveling east on Howard Road Southeast.
Long before Metro opened a Green Line station here in 1991, the B&O Railroad's Alexandria Branch line ran a block behind you, along the river. The Washington & Anacostia Street Railway ran along Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue a block ahead. The . . . — Map (db m113606) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Buena Vista — Barry Farm - Hillsdale — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — Bounded by St. Elizabeths Hospital, Alabama Avenue and Morris Road, SE, and the Anacostia River —
On Howard Road Southeast west of Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling east. Reported missing.
In 1867 the U.S. Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands (Freedmen’s Bureau) purchased 375 acres from white farmers David and Julia Barry to resettle formerly enslaved African Americans. By 1870 more than 500 families had purchased lots . . . — Map (db m113607) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Buena Vista — 8 — Birney School — An East-of-the River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast north of Howard Road Southeast, on the right when traveling north.
The Handsome Italian Renaissance Building. across the street opened as James G. Birney Elementary School in 1901. Its wood-frame predecessor, the original 1889 Birney School, was the first school built with public funds for African American . . . — Map (db m100669) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Buena Vista — 2 — Faith and Action — An East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast south of Howard Road Southeast, on the right when traveling south.
You are standing at the main crossroads of Barry Farm, a post-Civil War (1861-1865) village settled by the formerly enslaved. Some Barry Farm-era churches still serve the neighborhood. Macedonia Baptist Church, about a block to your left . . . — Map (db m100825) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Buena Vista — Nichols Avenue Elementary School/Old Birney School Site — 2427 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SE — African American Heritage Trail, Washington DC —
On Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast at Howard Road Southeast, on the right when traveling south on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue Southeast.
James G. Birney Elementary School (founded 1889) was the city's first public school for African Americans in this area, then known as Hillsdale. Previously, residents organized their own schools. The Old Birney School expanded in 1901 with the . . . — Map (db m100679) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Burleith — A Rolling Tobacco Road
On 34th Street Northwest at Wisconsin Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 34th Street Northwest.
As one of Washington's oldest commercial corridors, Wisconsin Avenue has been a direct route to the Potomac River for more than 250 years. Originally an Indian trail, the route became known as Frederick Pike and linked the small port of George Town . . . — Map (db m113387) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Burleith — Famous Burleith Residents
On T Street Northwest at 37th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on T Street Northwest.
This is a selection of people, renowned in their perspective professions, who at one time called Burleith their home. •Actress Nancy Ordway (1914-2005), a 1940s radio star, lived at 1710 35th Street. She starred in the nationally broadcast . . . — Map (db m113388) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Burleith — Introduction to Burleith
On 35th Street Northwest at Whitehaven Parkway Northwest, on the left when traveling west on 35th Street Northwest.
As you read this plaque, you are standing at the dot • on the map facing one of the five fire call boxes in the Burleith neighborhood. A star indicates each of the other four. Each call box has a plaque focusing on an aspect of Burleith's . . . — Map (db m113419) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Burleith — Patriotism and Espionage
On R Street Northwest at 37th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on R Street Northwest.
The Western High School building in Burleith, which now houses Duke Ellington High School of the Arts, was home to the school's cadets from 1897 to the 1970s. More than a high school military unit, the main object of the cadets was character . . . — Map (db m113394) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Burleith — The Evolution of Burleith
On 38th Street Northwest at S Street Northwest on 38th Street Northwest.
Burleith's built environment dates to the early nineteenth century. The oldest existing home, 1814 35th Street (earlier known as Fayette Street), was built in 1803. Three other structures on 35th Street were built in 1830, and about fifty years . . . — Map (db m113392) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Burleith — The Origins of Burleith
On 36th Street Northwest at S Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 36th Street Northwest.
You are standing in the midst of Burleith, a community of about 530 single family houses bounded by Reservoir Road to the south, Whitehaven Parkway to the north, and 35th and 39th Streets to the east and west respectively. The majority of the houses . . . — Map (db m113398) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — “The President’s Trees”
On Columbus Circle Northeast near Louisiana Avenue Northeast.
Dedicated by Maryland State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, April 21, 1934. Growing on land that was once a part of Maryland and was in 1790 her gift to the United States of America for the national capitol, the 31 trees in this group . . . — Map (db m4893) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 6 — A Neighborhood For Everyone — Tour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
On Eighth Street Southeast at G Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north on Eighth Street Southeast.
The buildings near this corner were built during a wave of private development that began after the United States won the Spanish-American War in 1898, and became a world power for the first time. As America flexed its muscles, the world — . . . — Map (db m130725) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Acacia Life Insurance Building – 1936
On Louisiana Avenue Northwest west of North Capitol Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
On March 3, 1869, President Andrew Johnson signed the Congressional Act chartering The Masonic Mutual Relief Association that became Acacia Life Insurance Company. Built as its headquarters and occupied by Acacia until 1997, the building . . . — Map (db m41886) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Alva Belmont House
Near Constitution Avenue Northeast (Alternate U.S. 1) at 2nd Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west.
Of this House The oldest part is one of the earliest buildings in this region. Robert Sewall bought the property and enlarged the house in 1799, and rebuilt and greatly altered it after war damage in 1814. Residence and office of . . . — Map (db m69271) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — American Legion Post 8
On D Street Southeast west of 3rd Street Southeast, on the right when traveling west.
Chartered 1922 In memory of all members of the Armed Forces who served their country American Legion Post 8 Sons of the American Legion Squadron 8 American Legion Auxiliary — Map (db m116123) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 2 — At the Crossroads — Tour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
On 8th Street Southeast at Pennsylvania Avenue Southeast, on the left when traveling south on 8th Street Southeast.
The large building that wraps around this corner was constructed as a department store in 1892 by Elizabeth A. Haines. She proudly advertised it as "the largest store in the world, built, owned and controlled by a woman." Back then extended . . . — Map (db m130726) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church
On 4th Street Southeast south of Independence Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling south.
The Presbytery of the Potomac organized the Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church on April 11, 1864 and installed its organizing pastor, the Reverend John Chester, D.D. This gothic style building was designed by Washington . . . — Map (db m116128) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square — Historical Information
On 1st Street Southwest at Garfield Circle Southwest on 1st Street Southwest.
General Plan for the Improvement of the U.S. Capitol Grounds by Frederick Law Olmstead, 1874 Following the extension of the Capitol in the 1850s-1860s, the grounds were enlarged in 1872. In 1874 Congress commissioned Frederick Law . . . — Map (db m110448) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square — Historical Information
On 1st Street Northwest at Northwest Drive Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 1st Street Northwest.
General Plan for the Improvement of the U.S. Capitol Grounds by Frederick Law Olmsted, 1874 Following the extension of the Capitol in the 1850s-1860s, the grounds were enlarged in 1872. In 1874 Congress commissioned Frederick Law . . . — Map (db m111439) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square — Historical Information
On Northwest Drive Northwest west of New Jersey Avenue Northwest, on the left when traveling west.
1 Summerhouse Constructed in 1879-1880 , the Summerhouse offers visitors a shaded place to rest, admire views of the Capitol, and have a drink of water. Olmstead's principal architectural assistant Thomas Wisedell, was the designer. The . . . — Map (db m111446) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square — Historical Information
On Southwest Drive Southwest at Capitol Driveway Southwest, on the right when traveling west on Southwest Drive Southwest.
1 Summerhouse Constructed in 1879-1880 , the Summerhouse offers visitors a shaded place to rest, admire views of the Capitol, and have a drink of water. Olmstead's principal architectural assistant Thomas Wisedell, was the designer. The . . . — Map (db m111468) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square, NW — Historical Information
On 1st Street Northwest at Northwest Drive Northwest, on the right when traveling north on 1st Street Northwest.
The Peace Monument By Franklin Simmons, 1878 The Peace Monument, also called the Naval Monument, was erected to commemorate the naval deaths at sea during the Civil War. at the top of the 44-foot monument, Grief, sometimes called . . . — Map (db m111437) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square, NW — Historical Information
On 1st Street Northwest at Constitution Avenue Northwest on 1st Street Northwest.
The Robert A. Taft Memorial Carillon Sculpture by Wheeler Williams Architecture by Douglas W. Orr, 1959 The memorial consists of a 100-foot Tennessee marble tower and a 10-foot bronze statue of Senator Taft. The twenty-seven . . . — Map (db m111460) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square, SW — Historical Information
On 1st Street Southwest near Independence Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling north.
U.S. Botanic Garden Architecture by Bennett, Parsons & Frost, 1933 Easily recognized by the sparkling glass dome of its Conservatory, the U.S. Botanic Garden, overlooking the National Mall, is located near the U.S. Capitol. Visitors . . . — Map (db m110445) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square, SW — Historical Information
On 1st Street Southwest at Garfield Circle Southwest on 1st Street Southwest.
The Peace Monument By Franklin Simmons, 1878 The Peace Monument, also called the Naval Monument, was erected to commemorate the naval deaths at sea during the Civil War. At the top of the 44-foot monument, Grief, sometimes called . . . — Map (db m110449) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Carolina Theatre — 1913-1952
On 11th Street Southeast at East Capitol Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north on 11th Street Southeast.
Carolina Theatre was located at the southwest corner of Eleventh Street & North Carolina Avenue Razed early 1970s Drawing of entrance on North Carolina Avenue based on plans at the National Archives B.F. Meyers (1865-1940), . . . — Map (db m128222) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Christ Church
Near G Street Southeast east of 6th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m39163) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 12 — Christ Church and Its Parishioners — Tour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
On G Street Southeast at F Street Terrace Southeast, on the right when traveling east on G Street Southeast.
This is Christ Church, Washington Parish, the first Episcopal church established in Washington City (1794), and attended by Presidents Thomas Jefferson and John Quincy Adams. At first Christ Church met in a nearby tobacco warehouse. In 1806 . . . — Map (db m130727) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Christopher Columbus
On Columbus Circle Northeast at Delaware Avenue Northeast on Columbus Circle Northeast.
To the memory of Christopher Columbus whose high faith and indomitable courage gave to mankind a new world Born MCDXXXVI Died MDIV — Map (db m8603) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 3 — Commerce and Community — Tour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
On 8th Street Southeast at E Street Southeast, on the right when traveling north on 8th Street Southeast.
The home/music studio of John Esputa, Jr., once occupied the site of 511 Eighth Street (Shakespeare Theatre’s rehearsal hall.) Among Esputa’s students in 1861 was eight-year-old John Philip Sousa, whose irresistible marches made him one of . . . — Map (db m130728) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Cortelyou House — 1891 — Residence of George B. Cortelyou —
Near Maryland Avenue Northeast (Alternate U.S. 1) at 3rd Street Northeast.
This residence was designed by architect Appleton P. Clark, Jr. and built in 1891 for Daniel Birtwell. In 1900, George Bruce Cortelyou occupied the house when he became secretary to President McKinley. Cortelyou continued to serve in public office . . . — Map (db m69292) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Delaware Avenue & Columbus Circle, NE — Historical Information
On Columbus Circle Northeast at Delaware Avenue Northeast, on the right when traveling east on Columbus Circle Northeast.
Union Station Architecture by Daniel Burnham, 1908 Designed in the Beaux-Arts style, this was the world's largest train station when it opened - the station and terminal zone originally covered approximately 200 acres and included 75 . . . — Map (db m8442) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Destroying the Library — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
On Pennsylvania Avenue Southeast at 3rd Street Southeast, on the right when traveling west on Pennsylvania Avenue Southeast.
The original Library of Congress occupied a room in the U.S. Capitol. When British troops burned the Capitol in 1814, the collection was destroyed. After the war Thomas Jefferson helped re-establish the library by selling to Congress at a . . . — Map (db m80848) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Eastern Market — A Lively Market for a Lively Neighborhood
On 7th Street Southeast north of C Street Southeast, on the right when traveling south.
Established by order of President Thomas Jefferson 1805, this building constructed 1873, designed by Adolf Cluss, additions 1907-8 by Snowden Ashford. Eastern Market, one of three public markets proposed in L’Enfant’s Plan, was established in . . . — Map (db m20358) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Ebenezer United Methodist Church — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 400 D Street, SE —
On D Street Southeast near 4th Street Southeast.
Ebenezer United Methodist Church is Capitol Hill’s oldest independent Black congregation. Ebenezer UMC was founded in 1827 by African Americans who left a biracial church on Capitol Hill because the White congregants practiced segregation. The new . . . — Map (db m30053) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Ebenezer United Methodist Church
On D Street Southeast at 4th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling west on D Street Southeast.
The first public school for colored children of the District of Columbia. Named Little Ebenezer and located within the boundaries of the Capitol Hill Historic District. Designated a Category II Landmark by the Joint Committee on Landmarks April . . . — Map (db m116119) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 1 — Edge of the Row — Tour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail —
On Pennsylvania Avenue Southeast east of 7th Street Southeast, on the right when traveling east.
America’s oldest navy and marine installations are just blocks from where you are standing. This is the northern edge of a Capitol Hill community shaped by the presence of the U.S. military. Eighth Street is its commercial center. The . . . — Map (db m130729) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Fiery Destruction — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
On 2nd Street Northeast at Constitution Avenue Northeast (Alternate U.S. 1), on the right when traveling south on 2nd Street Northeast.
“[The British] put a slow match to the [Sewall] house … and those rockets burst until … they made the rafters fly East and West.” — Enslaved African American diarist and eyewitness, Michael Shiner. As the British . . . — Map (db m87856) HM

1723 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1523
Paid Advertisement