Orator - Publisher - Statesman
Precursor of the Civil Rights Movement
An ex-slave who rose to world renown as an abolitionist and who served in high government posts under presidents Grant through Cleveland, Frederick Douglass resided in this . . . — — Map (db m69264) HM
In grateful memory of Abraham Lincoln. This monument was erected by the Western Sanitary Commission of Saint Louis, Mo., with funds contributed solely by emancipated Citizens of the United States declared free by his Proclamation, January 1st . . . — — Map (db m41617) HM
From June to December 1917 members of the National Woman's Party were imprisoned for picketing the White House to publicize the struggle to win the vote for Women. Those incarcerated in the District of Columbia's workhouse in Occoquan, Virginia . . . — — Map (db m71336) HM
Once the stone faηade and roof are restored, the U.S. Botanic Garden (USBG) will install a new green roof on top of the stone part of the Conservatory. This plant-covered roof will reduce the amount of heat absorbed by the building and decrease the . . . — — Map (db m110453)
Soil depth on a green roof determines the types of plants that can be grown, and the depth of the US Botanic Garden roof will average just 3 inches. Green roofs with shallow soils are referred to as 'extensive', and those with soil at 6 inches or . . . — — Map (db m110452)
In 1866 the Navy completed the hospital you see across the street to treat injured and ailing seamen. With beds for 50, it included the carriage house/stable and cast-iron fence and (around the corner) the gazebo. Its front door originally was . . . — — Map (db m130732) HM
in Moorish Revival Style
William S. Plager
Photo: circa 1926
Library of Congress
in Art Deco Style
Mihran Mesrobian . . . — — Map (db m134068) HM
You are standing in one of Washingtons remaining inhabited alleys, behind the buildings that face G, E (there is no F Street here), Sixth and Seventh streets. In 1897 the alley had 22 tiny dwellings sheltering well over . . . — — Map (db m130734) HM
(Front):James A. Garfield 1831 - 1881 (Left):Major General USV, Member of Congress, Senator and President of the United States of America. (Right):Erected by his comrades of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland May 12 . . . — — Map (db m18602) HM
[Panel 1 of the historical narrative at memorial entrance]:
On February 19, 1942, 73 days after the United States entered World War II, President Franklin Roosevelt issued Executive Order 9066 which resulted in the removal of 120,000 . . . — — Map (db m40541) HM
Executive Director of
Market 5 Gallery and Kuumba Center
at Eastern Market
John Harrod directed Market 5 Gallery and the Kuumba Center after Mayor Walter E. Washington started a neighborhood arts initiative in each ward of . . . — — Map (db m116126) HM
The forest is in the extreme northwest corner of Montana and northeast Idaho and includes four ranger districts. The background photo is of the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness with views of Little Ibex, Ibex and Lentz Peaks. Managing vegetation and . . . — — Map (db m130381) HM
Latrobe Gate Designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe in 1804, the gate and flanking guardhouses were constructed in the Greek Revival style. This style became very popular in the young nation, and the original section of the gate represents one of . . . — — Map (db m28348) HM
You are standing across from Marion Park, named for Francis Marion, the celebrated South Carolina state senator (1782-1790) who earned the moniker "Swamp Fox" for his brilliant stealth tactics against the British during the Revolutionary War. . . . — — Map (db m130735) HM WM
As our nation celebrated its 200th anniversary in 1976, Ebenezer United Methodist Church celebrated 138 years of service to God, humanity, country, home, and community. This model is a replica of Little Ebenezer, the frame church that stood on this . . . — — Map (db m116122) HM
Site selected by President Thomas Jefferson and Lieutenant Colonel Commandant William Ward Burrows on 31 March 1801.
A National Capital Landmark and entered in the National Register of Historic Places. — — Map (db m10833) HM
Mary McLeod Bethune
Let her works praise her.
I leave you love. I leave you hope. I leave you the challenge of developing confidence in one another. I leave you a thirst for education. I leave you a . . . — — Map (db m5505) HM
This is Eastern Market, where for more than a century farm products have drawn shoppers from the neighborhood and around the city. It is Washington's only 19th-century market to remain in continuous operation to this day.
Eastern Market is . . . — — Map (db m130736) HM
(Inscription, south face of monument base:)
Sacred to the memory of
Nathanael Greene, Esquire,
a native of the State of Rhode Island
who died on the 19th of June 1786 -
late Major General in the service of the U.S. . . . — — Map (db m30771) HM
On your left is Marine Barracks Washington, D.C., the oldest continuously manned post in the U.S. Marine Corps. The installation was originally designed by architect George Hadfield in 1801 with a central parade ground and housing for 500 . . . — — Map (db m130737) HM
Providence Hospital was located on this site during the years 1861 through 1956. Founded in 1861 by the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul from Emmitsburg, Maryland. The Hospital was chartered by an Act of Congress in 1864.
During . . . — — Map (db m116116) HM
This Skystream 3.7 residential turbine is a new generation of wind generator that hooks directly to your home to reduce or eliminate your monthly electric bill. Its designed to provide quiet, clean electricity in very low winds. How can a wind . . . — — Map (db m49642) HM
You are looking at a Windspire, a vertical-axis wind turbine that generates electricity from wind power. This model produces about 2,000 kWh of electricity a year in an area with average wind speeds of 12 mph (about Ό the needs of the average . . . — — Map (db m49643) HM
Residence of Albert Gallatin, Peace Negotiator and Secretary of the Treasury 1801-1814, who negotiated the treaty of Ghent, 1814. When the British marched on Washington in the summer of 1814, some American patriots with Commodore Joshua Barney and . . . — — Map (db m61571) HM
West side of marker
This memorial to
Robert A Taft
presented by the
people to the Congress
of the United States
stands as a tribute,
to the honesty
and high principles of
. . . — — Map (db m111449) HM
Stuart-Hobson Middle School, one block to the east of this sign, was built in 1927 on the site of an old brewery, one of nearly two dozen that operated in DC after the Civil War. Almost all of the breweries were run by German immigrants who . . . — — Map (db m71681) HM
[National Register Plaque:]
St. Mark's Church
Congregation established, 1867
Church construction begun, 1888
Listed in the
National Register of Historic Places by the
United States Department of the Interior
in 1973 . . . — — Map (db m116130) HM
If you are hearing the ringing tones of band music, one of the ensembles of the world-famous United States Marine Band may be practicing inside the Marine Barracks.
John Philip Sousa, the neighborhoods most famous son, spent 19 years . . . — — Map (db m130738) HM
This is the western edge of what once was the rough, working-class Swampoodle neighborhood. In the early days the marshy Tiber Creek ran between what are now North Capitol and First Streets, NE. Legend has it that lingering rain puddles . . . — — Map (db m130581) HM
The U.S. Capitol was the British troop's first target when they arrived in Washington on August 24, 1814, only hours after their afternoon victory at the Battle of Bladensburg. The invaders fired rockets through the Capitol's windows. When the . . . — — Map (db m80844) HM
The Reserve Officers Association of the United States was founded in 1922 by combat veterans of World War I at the request of their commander, General of the Armies John "Black Jack" Pershing. The Association holds a Congressional Charter to enhance . . . — — Map (db m129667) HM
In 1986 President Ronald Reagan signed legislation creating the rose as the national floral emblem for the United States. Plans then got underway to find a site to showcase roses in the nation's capital.
The U.S. Botanic Garden (USBG) was . . . — — Map (db m110456) HM
July 4, 1815
The cornerstone of the Old Brick Capitol
built by Washington citizens
to house the Congress
was laid on this site.
The Congress met here from December 13, 1815
through March 3, 1819.
President Monroe was inaugurated here . . . — — Map (db m39411) HM
This site has been associated with Navy medicine since 1800 when an apothecary shop located here provided medical services to sailors and marines from the nearby Navy Yard and Marine Barracks.
Naval Hospital, . . . — — Map (db m127966) HM
Insects, birds, bats, and even monkeys, lemurs, and a lizard! About 75% of the world's flowering plants depend upon these animals for pollination. Most other plants rely upon wind to carry their pollen grains from plant to plant.
Pollination is . . . — — Map (db m110454)
Roses possess a rare combination of texture, fragrance, form and color that elevates them to royal status among flowers. Known to have been cultivated in gardens throughout history, roses have been grown for medicinal qualities, religious symbolism, . . . — — Map (db m115937) HM
The Sewall-Belmont House & Museum, one of the oldest residential properties on Capitol Hill, has been the historic headquarters of the National Woman's Party since 1929. Named after Robert Sewall, the original owner of the site, and Alva . . . — — Map (db m70955) HM
Out of the past so great
to build a greater future
in honor and memory
of the Veterans of all America's wars
who by their service kept the
Torch of Freedom
this monument is dedicated by
Veterans of Foreign Wars of the . . . — — Map (db m116132) WM
“Although a soldier by profession, I have never felt any sort of fondness for war, and I have never advocated it, except as a means of peace,” General Ulysses S. Grant.
Hiram Ulysses Grant, mistakenly listed as Ulysses Simpson Grant . . . — — Map (db m29459) HM
Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, including holidays
For visitor information call (202) 225-8333
The United States Botanic Garden (USBG), established by the Congress in 1820 is one of the oldest botanic gardens in North . . . — — Map (db m110451) HM
One of the icons of world architecture, the U.S. Capitol has been the meeting place of Congress since 1800. President George Washington laid the cornerstone on September 18, 1793. While under construction, the the building was . . . — — Map (db m111467) HM
General Plan for the Improvement of the U.S. Capitol Grounds by Frederick Law Olmstead, 1874
Following the extension of the Capitol in the 1850s-1860s, the grounds were enlarged in 1872. In 1874 Congress commissioned Frederick Law Olmstead . . . — — Map (db m27891) HM
Victory Gardens, also called War Gardens, were planted both at private residences and on public land during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort. The AOC donates produce harvested . . . — — Map (db m134090) HM
The AOC has recreated a War Garden as it would have been during World War I. Materials, planting schedules and methods such as companion planting and succession planting, have been adopted from period publications. The vegetables are primarily . . . — — Map (db m111462) HM
World War I Era War Garden
In March 1917, the National War Garden Commission urged Americans to help its starving allies in Europe by planting vegetables on lands not generally used for gardening. Civilians across the country pitched in, . . . — — Map (db m111463) HM
The white brick wall in front of you marks the original northern boundary of the Navy Yard. The yard grew from its original 12 acres to 128 acres at its peak in 1962. In 2003 it consisted of 73 acres with 55 acres making up the adjacent . . . — — Map (db m130739) HM
In front of you is the main gate of the Washington Navy Yard, established in 1799. It is the U.S. Navy's oldest shore facility in continuous use. Over time, workers here have built and repaired ships and their fittings, designed and developed . . . — — Map (db m130740) HM
Until 1939, the only place for African Americans to play golf in Washington was West Potomac Park. That year, in response to petitions by African American golfers asking Interior Secretary Harold Ickes to desegregate the city's public golf courses, . . . — — Map (db m112998) HM
Langston Terrace Dwellings, opened in 1938, was the first federally funded public housing project in Washington and among the first in the nation. It honors John Mercer Langston (1829-1897), abolitionist, founder of Howard University Law School, and . . . — — Map (db m112792) HM
Until the 1920s, Cathedral Heights was richer in cows than people. The neighborhood was carved into plots of woodland and farms, including nearly 30 acres owned by Henry Kengla on which the Westchester Cooperative Apartments now stand. The Kengla . . . — — Map (db m126975) HM
The Washington National Cathedral, standing majestically on the commanding heights of the city, was not the first religious institution on Mount Alban. Joseph Nourse, a Revolutionary War veteran who moved his family to the site in 1813, dreamed of . . . — — Map (db m112153) HM
A visionary parish priest through whose determined efforts The Knights of Columbus was founded in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1882 to strengthen the faith of Catholic men and to protect their families — — Map (db m96320) HM
As early as 1890, Archbishop John Joseph Keane, the first rector of The Catholic University of America recognized the need for the study of law at the university to meet the demand for Catholic lawyers imbued with the true spirit of their religion . . . — — Map (db m96321) HM
The Excitement Builds
What a day! As the streetcar pulls up excitement fills the air. Opening day at Griffith! Just 10 cents will get us where we want to be. Everyone is thrilled to be heading down to the game. It's a perfect day for . . . — — Map (db m115982) HM
The Broad Branch Market has been a neighborhood tradition since 1919. In its honor, and in celebration of historic Chevy Chase DC this Call Box was restored by
Sydney Butler and his family
with the generous support of
Cahill . . . — — Map (db m116018) HM
dragons to bring rain,
More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, . . . — — Map (db m130937) HM
dragons to bring rain,
More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, these . . . — — Map (db m130938) HM
Welcome to downtown Washington, DC — an area rich in history, culture, and places to see. You will enjoy visiting the following sites located in the vicinity of this sign.
Ford's Theatre National Historic Site, . . . — — Map (db m113106) HM
This friendship archway was erected by the District of Columbia and the Municipality of Beijing, 1986.
Marion Barry, Jr.
Mayor of Washington, D.C.
Mayor, Beijing Municipal Government — — Map (db m9161) HM
The Washington Post, Nov. 30, 2016
Lin Han, noodle master
It's a simple window that looks out onto Sixth Street NW, but in a way, it's also a stage. Chinatown Express is the theater. "Fresh Noodle Made on the Spot," the lettering . . . — — Map (db m113107) HM
"The nest in
which the egg
President Andrew Johnson, April 1865.
The building at 604 H Street is intimately connected to the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln at Fords Theater, just five . . . — — Map (db m16585) HM
Apartments, Shops and Cars
“Connecticut Avenue is the principal approach to what is undoubtedly Washington's greatest suburban buying power” — The Washington Post, December 7, 1930
Early development . . . — — Map (db m82093) HM
In the early 20th century, small apartment buildings and houses were constructed on Macomb, Ordway, Porter, Quebec, and Rodman Streets. Another popular style on these streets was the Bungalow, one of many styles that could be ordered by mail from . . . — — Map (db m111607) HM
In 1912, renowned country house architect, Charles Adams Platt designed several buildings on this 20 acre country estate in collaboration with landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman.
Initially named The Causeway for its stone bridges across . . . — — Map (db m112392) HM
Connecticut Avenue's commercial corridor, between Macomb and Ordwary, reflects changes in retail that followed changes in modes of transportation from 1890 streetcar, to automobiles, to the Cleveland Park Metro Station in 1981. Individual stores on . . . — — Map (db m67824) HM
In 1910, this was the site of a shed hosting a horse drawn chemical fire truck, an important amenity as the first houses in Cleveland Park were constructed mainly of wood, and the new suburb was far from city services. In 1916, the District . . . — — Map (db m112388) HM
Cleveland Park's lovely, hidden private gardens periodically open to the public in organized garden tours. These tours are but one of many results of the long history of resident collaboration. In the 1920s, the Cleveland Park Club and the Cleveland . . . — — Map (db m112376) HM
An 1897 study for Washington, D.C. by the renowned landscape architecture firm of Frederick Law Olmstead influenced the layout of many streets in Cleveland Park. Rather than following the standard grid pattern, streets east of 34th Street (Reno . . . — — Map (db m112374) HM
1. Roma Restaurant - Mary Belcher
2. Commerce - Eleanor Oliver
3. The Broadmoor - John Simpson
4. Causeway at Tregaron - John Woo
5. Red Top - John Woo
6. Queen Anne Style - Di Stovall
7. Early Fire Fighting - Caitlin Werrell
8. . . . — — Map (db m112379) HM
Founded by Mary Day and her teacher, Lisa Gardner, in 1944, the Washington School of Ballet has grown from one studio on the first floor of this corner building into the headquarters of the Washington Ballet. The Washington Ballet is comprised of a . . . — — Map (db m112378) HM
“Fidelissimus Ad Mortem”
Michael Kovats de Fabricy
A Hungarian American Hero, who gave his life for Freedom in the Battle of Charleston in 1779
Executed in Bronze by Attila Dienes . . . — — Map (db m79452) HM WM
The Peirce Still House, built between 1796 and 1811, was part of a large plantation owned by Isaac Peirce, a Quaker from Pennsylvania and slave owner, who purchased the property in 1795. Much of the Peirce Estate became part of Rock Creek Park when . . . — — Map (db m82098) HM
This 1898 Queen Anne style house is an outstanding example designed by Robert Thompson Head, the most prolific architect during the first phase of the Cleveland Park neighborhood's development. Between 1897 and 1901, Head designed houses for John . . . — — Map (db m112391) HM
Cleveland Park was named for Grover Cleveland who bought a country house on now Newark Street in 1886. In the 1890s, electrified streetcars ran on Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenues and led to the development of the Cleveland Park "suburb".
Shops . . . — — Map (db m112449) HM
The grand, 1,000 acre Rosedale Estate which was later subdivided to form Cleveland Park, was purchased by General Uriah Forrest, an aid-de-camp of General George Washington, who built a farmhouse in 1793. Between 1920-1959, the estate was owned by . . . — — Map (db m112382) HM
Between 1903 and 1912, the second phase of Cleveland Park development featured houses in the Arts and Crafts style. Many of these were Sherman Cottages named for Ella Bennett Sherman, artist and wife of developer John Sherman. Smaller and less . . . — — Map (db m112390) HM
Cleveland Park derives it's name from it's most illustrious resident, President Grover Cleveland. In 1886, Cleveland purchased a stone farmhouse on the South side of now Newark Street, directly opposite Rosedale, which served as the Cleveland's . . . — — Map (db m112386) HM
This small stone structure was built by Isaac Pierce in 1801. Constructed around a natural spring, it was used as a cooling place for cheese, milk, and butter products, during the hot summer months. It also provided a clean water supply.
A . . . — — Map (db m79644) HM
The Broadmoor epitomizes the luxury apartment/hotels built along Connecticut Avenue in the 1920s. Designed in 1927 by prominent architect Joseph H. Abel, the Broadmoor featured a pioneering underground garage, restaurant and bar, beauty salon, . . . — — Map (db m111655) HM
The Rosedale farmhouse is said to be the oldest house surviving in Washington, DC. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The farmhouse is a private home.
Please do not enter farmhouse grounds.
. . . — — Map (db m112385) HM WM
The historic gardens of the Tregaron Estate with pathways, flowing streams and stone bridges are an enduring treasure and place of discovery.
Tregaron Conservancy is dedicated to the preservation and rehabilitation of the woodland garden . . . — — Map (db m112393) HM
Frank D. Reeves (1916–1973), a lawyer and civil
rights activist, was part of the team that shaped the
1954 Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court
case outlawing school segregation. He advised
Senator John F. Kennedy on minority . . . — — Map (db m24679) HM
For nearly a century, between 1862 and 1962, streetcars in Washington, D.C. carried people across the District. The first streetcars were drawn by horses and could only carry people short distances, but the introduction of the electric streetcars, . . . — — Map (db m111927) HM
Columbia Heights by the mid 1920s was a center of white elite activity and commerce. The elegant, Neoclassical style Riggs Bank branch and the Italian Renaissance style Tivoli Theater opened to great acclaim. Soon after, radio station WRC moved . . . — — Map (db m130743) HM
Since Meridian Hill Park opened in 1936, Washingtonians from diverse neighborhoods surrounding the park have gathered here for performances, community events, and political protest.
When tens of thousands of people flocked to Washington D.C. in . . . — — Map (db m63643) HM
It is perhaps no surprise that Commodore David Porter, hero of the War of 1812, chose Meridian Hill on which to build his estate. From this knoll, Porter had a direct line of sight to the President's mansion. Though no match for the grand buildings . . . — — Map (db m63740) HM
The intersection of 14th Street and Park Road has been the center of community life since at least 1871, when the neighborhood was called Mount Pleasant and storekeeper George Emery made his living on the northwest corner to your left. Emery's . . . — — Map (db m130744) HM
Thomas Jefferson Believed the surveyor's of the nation's capital city should set a new American Meridian, a north-south line running through both poles and the American continent.
This reference line, longitude 0° 0°, would aid navigation, . . . — — Map (db m63770) HM
Congress ordered sculptures installed at Meridian Hill Park long before the park's completion. So many sculptures were authorized that Horace Peaslee, the park's architect, called for a moratorium on installations. He told the Commission of the . . . — — Map (db m63658) HM
President Monroe singed a charter in 1821 that established Columbian College on a site north of Florida Avenue between 14th and 15th Streets, Columbian College moved to Foggy Bottom in 1912 and became George Washington University, but the original . . . — — Map (db m63771) HM
Dr. Charles R. Drew (1904-1950), renowned for his blood plasma research, was associated with Howard University College of Medicine during most of his career. In 1941 Drew joined a national effort to set up a blood banking process but left because . . . — — Map (db m65523) HM
Wayland Seminary opened in Foggy Bottom just after the Civil War to train formerly enslaved people and others as “preachers and teachers for the South” and as missionaries to evangelize Africa. In 1875 it moved here, later merging . . . — — Map (db m130745) HM
Harry Wardman, Washington's prolific developer, built nearly all of the 300 houses to your right between Monroe Street and Spring Road. Wardman, an English immigrant and self-made millionaire, became known for his rowhouses, whose front porches . . . — — Map (db m130746) HM
At the beginning of its second century, the nation's capital was changing dramatically. In 1902, the United States Senate adopted a number of recommendations from the Senate Park Commission, popularly known as the McMillan Commission. By 1910, a . . . — — Map (db m63940) HM
Limited funds and dramatic change in elevation at the Meridian Hill Park site -- falling 75 feet from north to south -- challenged the Commission of Fine Arts and their designers. The 16th Street edge required massive retaining walls to transition . . . — — Map (db m63944) HM
The Drum and Spear Bookstore, founded in 1968 by Charlie Cobb, a former secretary for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, specialized in books written by black authors, and books on Asian, African, and African American subjects. Growing . . . — — Map (db m85756) HM
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center - Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — — Map (db m126148)
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center–Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights' people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — — Map (db m111852) HM
Organized September 1928 at M Street and New York Avenue
Moved February 19, 1933
to Ninth Street and Rhode
Island Avenue, N.W.
Moved August 1950 to Thirteenth
and Clifton Street, N.W. — — Map (db m23651) HM
The 1100 and 1200 blocks of Girard Street once were home to a “Whos Who” of African American leaders. This and nearby “double-blocks” are the heart of John Shermans Columbia Heights subdivision. By placing all houses . . . — — Map (db m130747) HM
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center - Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — — Map (db m126149)
Buchanan was our only bachelor president and relied upon his orphaned niece, Harriet Lane, to act as his First Lady during his years in the White House (1857 to 1861). In her estate, Harriet Lane Johnson made a bequest to fund a memorial to her . . . — — Map (db m63631) HM
These elegant 13th Street houses were constructed when racial separation was legal and widely accepted. In 1910 the deeds for many houses across 13th Street had covenants banning “any negro or colored persons.” Those on this side . . . — — Map (db m130748) HM
"A Black world in which a wonderful democracy of conditions prevailed — waitresses, doctors, preachers, winos, teachers, numbers runners and funeral directors, prostitutes and housewives, cabdrivers and laborers all lived as neighbors."
. . . — — Map (db m130749) HM
Fourteenth Street has always been the business backbone of Columbia Heights. Beginning in the 1890s, electric streetcars dropped passengers at nearly every corner, attracting commerce. By 1925 storefronts occupied the blocks between Euclid and . . . — — Map (db m130750) HM
On your right is Josephine Butler Parks Center, home of Washington Parks & People, a network of groups devoted to DC and its parks. The network's 1927 mansion, which once housed the Hungarian delegation, was part of an embassy row envisioned by . . . — — Map (db m130751) HM
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center—Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights' people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — — Map (db m129069) HM
Low cost housing in Mount Pleasant in the decades following World War II made it an ideal place for immigrants to the area. Refugees fleeing World War II and the Cold War in Eastern Europe were the first group to arrive. A small Czech community . . . — — Map (db m130866) HM
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center—Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights' people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — — Map (db m129027) HM
For Nearly 50 Years, this corner was home to Nob Hill Restaurant, one of the nation's first openly gay bars for-and run by-African Americans.
Started in the 1950s as a private social club, Nob Hill went public in 1957. Patrons enjoyed . . . — — Map (db m86014) HM
In the days of legally segregated public education (1862-1954), this school building was Central High, the gem of the School Boards white division. But by 1949, it had few students, as the post-World War II suburban housing boom had drawn . . . — — Map (db m130752) HM
Noted landscape architects George Burnap and Horace Peaslee, who worked in the Office of Public Buildings and Grounds, designed Meridian Hill Park under the guidance of the Commission of Fine Arts. By 1914, Burnap had completed his basic design: a . . . — — Map (db m63952) HM
The Pitts Motor Hotel, formerly located at 1451 Belmont Street, lingers in memory for two reasons. In the 1960s it was a gathering place of Civil Rights movement leaders. Later it became a "welfare hotel."
In March 1968 the Reverend Dr. Martin . . . — — Map (db m63706) HM
Straight ahead is All Souls Church, Unitarian, long known for its social activism, starting with abolitionism in the 1820s and ranging through nuclear disarmament and interracial cooperation. During the segregation era, All Souls was one of the . . . — — Map (db m130753) HM
In 1920, Washington D. C. was home to the largest African American Community in the country. Numerous venues in the U Street area showcased prominent musicians and politicians of the day. On this site stood the Pitts Motel and its Red Carpet Lounge. . . . — — Map (db m63678) HM
This block is home to some of the largest Latino organizations in the city, all founded as migration from Central America and the Caribbean increased in the 1970s. Several began with a boost from Cavalry United Methodist Church at 1459 Columbia . . . — — Map (db m130754) HM
To The Glory of God
And in grateful memory of one of his servants
This building devoted to Christian education
Is named for
President of Princeton University 1902 — 1910
Governor of the state of New Jersey . . . — — Map (db m82615) HM
On May 17, 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court made its historic decision in Brown vs. Board of Education to end segregation in public schools. One of the lawsuits that made up this decision involved the DC schools, and the following September, . . . — — Map (db m130863) HM
Meridian Hill Park might never have been built had it not been for the determination of Mary Foote Henderson (1846 - 1931). For 22 years, she lobbied Congress for funds to buy the land and build the park. Congress's 1910 vote to authorize . . . — — Map (db m63934) HM
The stone marking the Washington Meridian was formerly located 52 feet, nine inches west of this tablet which was presented by the Army and Navy Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. — — Map (db m82518) HM
”To me beautification means our total concern for the physical and human quality we pass on to our children and the future.”
- Lady Bird Johnson
When kids connect with national parks, the result is conservation. Through . . . — — Map (db m53699) HM
Today, we proclaim our refusal to be strangled by the wastes of Civilization. Today, we begin to be the masters of our environment.
Lyndon B. Johnson at the signing of the Water Quality Act of 1965
President Johnson . . . — — Map (db m98718) HM
The eight-room brick Congress Heights Elementary School opened in 1897 to serve the new, whites-only Congress Heights development. The iconic tower and clock were added in 1913. After public schools were desegregated in 1954, Congress Heights became . . . — — Map (db m112782) HM
Earthworks of Fort Carroll are visible 100 yards to the right at the top of the hill. Fort Carroll was named in honor of Maj. Gen. Samuel Sprigg Carroll, a West Point graduate from the District of Columbia. — — Map (db m10614) HM
Organized by Congress in 1855 as the Government Hospital for the Insane, the institution that would become a nationally recognized symbol of healthcare and medical breakthroughs became known as St. Elizabeths during the Civil War.
Following its . . . — — Map (db m129253) HM
100 Years of Afro-American History
By Jerome Johnson
D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities
Sign of the Times Cultural Workshop & Gallery
CFC # 16414 & United Black Fund #8558
. . . — — Map (db m112798) HM
The Two-Story Art Deco Style Building on your left was once the Strand Theater. Abe Lichtman, a Jewish businessman whose movie theaters catered to black patrons, opened the Strand in 1918. Lichtman also operated the Lincoln and Howard theaters . . . — — Map (db m130777) HM
To your right it is the former Merritt Educational Center which operated from 1943 to 2008. However, if you were standing here in the 1920s or '30s, in its place you would have seen exuberant crowds of fashionably dressed African Americans . . . — — Map (db m130780) HM
This quaint frame building has served several church congregations since its construction in 1908. The First Zion Baptist Church stayed for more than 60 years. Since 1993 members of Joshua's Temple First Born Church have worshiped within its . . . — — Map (db m130784) HM
Largely ignored by city officials and isolated from downtown DC, Deanwood remained semi-rural until around World War II (1941-1945).
Lifelong residents who grew up in the 1930s and '40s remember outsiders telling them that they lived in . . . — — Map (db m130781) HM
Sheltered from the overt bigotry many African Americans experienced when venturing downtown, Deanwood shoppers of the 1950s patronized Sheriff Road's mostly African American businesses, including Mouse Gordon's tailor shop, Tip Top Grocery, . . . — — Map (db m130783) HM
Up the Hill to your left are several signature handcrafted houses, Beginning in the late 1800s, Deanwood attracted skilled black migrants, who freely passed on their know-how.
In the 1920s Jacob and Randolph Dodd built about 50 structures in . . . — — Map (db m134409) HM
Three years after he escaped enslavement, Douglass gave a brief speech at an anti-slavery meeting in New Bedford, Massachusetts. This lecture would be the beginning of a repertoire of speeches that built Frederick Douglass's reputation as one of the . . . — — Map (db m129792) HM
Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey fled enslavement in Maryland on September 3, 1838. His escape route included travel by train, ferry, and steamboat through Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New York. Each tree in Escape Allιe represents one . . . — — Map (db m129785) HM
Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey arrived in New York with the aid of a free woman named Anna Murray. She followed him to New York, and eleven days after his arrival, they married. The couple continued to settle in New Bedford, Massachusetts, . . . — — Map (db m129790) HM
From his 1841 speech at a Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society convention, until 1895 when he died suddenly at his Cedar Hill home in Washington, D.C., Frederick Douglass championed human rights. This memorial grove of scarlet oaks represent the . . . — — Map (db m129791) HM
Commodore John Barry (1745-1803) was born in County Wexford, Ireland, but by age 15 called Philadelphia, Pennsylvania home. He commanded several Continental Navy ships during the Revolutionary War and won decisive victories over the British. In . . . — — Map (db m55504) HM
The Embassy of Mexico incorporates the two surviving facades of a set of seven row houses known as “The Seven Buildings”. This complex has an intimate relationship with American history, and the government of Mexico is proud to honor and . . . — — Map (db m89348) HM
With these legendary words, naval officer David G. Farragut led the Union fleet past Confederate mines (then called torpedoes) and to victory at the Battle of Mobile Bay on August 5, 1864. From the rigging of his flagship, USS Hartford, . . . — — Map (db m4104) HM
Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1972, the US Treasury Building is the oldest departmental building in Washington. The building serves as the headquarters of the Treasury Department. Treasury's responsibilities encompass revenue collection, . . . — — Map (db m100443) HM
From the top floor of this building was sent on June 3, 1880 over a beam of light to 1325 L Street, the first wireless telephone message in the history of the world. The apparatus used in sending the message was the photophone invented by Alexander . . . — — Map (db m17569) HM
[ on the front (south face) of pedestal :]
First Secretary of the Treasury
Soldier, Orator, Statesman
Champion of Constitutional Union, Representative Government and National Integrity . . . — — Map (db m32740) HM
"...watch yourselves closely
so that you do not forget the things
your eyes have seen...
to your children
and to their children
and to their children after them."
Stories . . . — — Map (db m70316) HM
has been designated a
This site possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States . . . — — Map (db m4082) HM
[north face :]
Erected by the Congress of the United States to
Frederick William Aug- ustus Henry Ferdinand Baron von Steuben in grateful recognition of his services to the American people in their struggle for . . . — — Map (db m32878) HM
Blanche K. Bruce House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1977 National Park Service United States Department of the . . . — — Map (db m99178) HM
The two symbolic figures represent the sum of the great ideals of past civilizations, developed through the centuries and now at best is delivered by American manhood and womanhood to the present generation.
The Boy Scout, aware of his . . . — — Map (db m7970) HM
700 Jackson Place has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America National Park Service 1974 From 1910 to 1948 it served as the first . . . — — Map (db m32879) HM
Decatur House Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United . . . — — Map (db m31101) HM
Welcome to downtown Washington, DC — an area rich in history, culture, and places to see. You will enjoy visiting the following sites located in the vicinity of this sign.
St. John's Church
Every US president since James Madison has . . . — — Map (db m112204) HM
This painting is based on the little-known 1801 watercolor "President House" by J. Benford, part of The White House art collection.
Some art historians claim the large building on the right is not the White House, but Blodgett's Hotel, which . . . — — Map (db m120236) HM
First known as the State, War, and Navy Department Building (built 1871-1888), the Eisenhower Executive Office Building was rededicated in 2002 to honor former President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who worked here between 1927 and 1935 for Generals . . . — — Map (db m100415) HM
This park dedicated April 25, 1979 to Edward R. Murrow 1908-1965 Reporter and Broadcaster Director, U.S. Information Agency 1961-1963 Who gave his profession a standard of excellence and whose clarity, humanity and courage helped his country . . . — — Map (db m96444) HM
Originally State, War, and Navy Departments Constructed 1871-1888 South Wing Ground broken June 1871 Completed December 1875 East Wing Ground broken July 1872 Completed April 1879 North Wing Ground broken July 1879 Completed December 1882 West . . . — — Map (db m71253) HM
[Inscriptions on the original memorial (1924)]
First Division, United States Army, American Expeditionary Forces, June 1917 - September 1919.
Erected by the memorial association of the First Division and patriotic friends to . . . — — Map (db m17629) WM
From 1924 to 1938, rooms of the Lee House were the first headquarters of the reserve officers association of the United States. Founded in 1922 by General of the Armies John J. Pershing to assure an adequate national security, ROA had as an early . . . — — Map (db m4052) HM
On August 24, 1814, President James Madison rode out to Bladensburg, Maryland, to observe the state of the American troops defending the nation's capital. U.S. General William Winder, now sure of the direction of the British approach, marched . . . — — Map (db m87590) HM
This plaque marks the home of Francis Preston Blair (1791-1876) Founder and Editor of The Globe (1830-1845) A newspaper which championed Democratic causes and vigorous journalism notably during the administration of President Andrew Jackson . . . — — Map (db m4047) HM
"going into the country"
This urban oasis exists because President Andrew Jackson needed water. The site of excellent springs (a rare commodity in the early city when everyone was dependent on private wells), this square was purchased . . . — — Map (db m29594) HM
On this site stood the principal office of the Freedmans Savings and Trust Company founded on March 3, 1865 to receive deposits from former slaves. Frederick Douglass served as its last president. The bank was closed on June 29, 1874. The building . . . — — Map (db m32482) HM
[front, south face:]
[back, north face:]
"We have been contemporaries and fellow labourers in the cause of liberty, and we have lived together as brothers should do, in harmonious friendship," . . . — — Map (db m32973) HM
To General Lafayette and his Compatriots
1777 - 1783
[south face:] By the
Congress in commemoration of the services rendered by General Lafayette and his Compatriots during the struggle . . . — — Map (db m32245) HM
This church, one of the Nations most historic, traces its beginnings to a small group of Scottish stonemasons meeting in a carpenters shop on the grounds of the White House during its construction in 1793. Many prominent Americans, including 17 . . . — — Map (db m122257) HM
Built in 1802 This house was the home of James Monroe Lieutenant-Colonel in the American Revolution While Secretary of State and of War under Madison, and for the first six months of his administration as fifth President of the United States, . . . — — Map (db m97526) HM
In their work, Yelena Filipchuk and Serge Beaulieu, the artist duo behind the art and design studio HYBYCOZO, investigate the influences of geometry on human evolution. Their works explore the connections between contemporary physics and ancient . . . — — Map (db m115904) HM
White House policeman who gave his life in defense of the President of the United States here at the Blair House, November 1, 1950 "For loyalty, bravery and heroism beyond the call of duty." Presented by National Sojourners in commemoration of his . . . — — Map (db m73876) HM
In 2016, Jack Champion brought his first solo artwork to the playa at Burning Man: a group of five resin crows collectively called Murder. Champion later cast this pair of sturdier, oversized bronze birds in the image of the originals. . . . — — Map (db m115595) HM
When the historic character of Lafayette Square was severely threatened during her husbands administration, it was preserved with the vision and dedicated efforts of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy. This view from Decatur House is dedicated to . . . — — Map (db m32135) HM
Kate Raudenbush is a self-taught, Burning Man-bred sculptor, known for her large-scale, geometric works. Her immersive, experiential environments are spaces for exploration, human connection, and intellectual curiosity—even sacred—works . . . — — Map (db m115594) HM
(Front):Kosciuszko Saratoga(Right): General Thaddeus Kosciuszko 1745-1817 Son of Poland (Left):Military Engineer In the American Revolution Fortified Saratoga and West Point (Back):"And freedom shrieked as Kosciuszko . . . — — Map (db m19992) HM
Kimpton is best known for her monumental word sculptures, which she has been bringing to Burning Man since 2009. Kimpton often covers these works with laser-cut birds, a motif she uses to represent freedom from the weight of our words and thoughts. . . . — — Map (db m115581) HM
The Linotype was introduced in Baltimore in 1883 by Ottmar Mergenthaler, a German-born inventor. By replacing hand-set type with machine-set type, the speed of composition was vastly increased by this important advance in printing.
This machine . . . — — Map (db m29511) HM
Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was founded in the District of Columbia in 1838. It is the oldest A.M.E. church and the oldest continuously black-owned property in Washington, D.C. - the Nation's Capital. The church . . . — — Map (db m18028) HM
Methodist Episcopal Church
Was organized 1822, rebuilt in 1838 and completed in 1880. This site possess exceptional value in commemorating the Religious Life of the Negro in the United States of America. Designated a . . . — — Map (db m10191) HM
This church started on Capitol Hill in 1821 as Israel Bethel, was founded by African Americans denouncing White racism at Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church. Later, Pastor Henry McNeal Turner helped persuade President Lincoln to accept Black . . . — — Map (db m30056) HM
Mischell Riley brought Maya's Mind to Burning Man in 2017; this work followed a ten-foot-tall bust of Leonardo da Vinci that she created for the event in 2016. With their rugged finishes, Riley's works blend with the dusty surrounds of . . . — — Map (db m115322) HM
David L. Morrison was a developer who sold flour and feed to the U.S. government during the Civil War. Reuben B. Clark made land investments, owned a grocery store, and served as Washington, D.C.s jail commissioner.
M. Frank . . . — — Map (db m32827) HM
Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson met on a dance floor at Burning Man in 2008 and fell in love. Though she lived in Canada and he in the U.S., they began a long-distance romance and artistic collaboration, inspired by the DIY, can-do attitude fundamental to . . . — — Map (db m115583) HM
"The churches are needed
as never before
for divine services."
President Abraham Lincoln
So said President Lincoln from his pew in New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. While other churches were occupied by . . . — — Map (db m32926) HM
The Nineteenth Street Baptist Church building occupied this site from 1871 until 1975.
The first Baptist congregation in the city met here in 1802, with both white and black attending services. The "First Baptist Church" moved in 1833 and this . . . — — Map (db m117616) HM
To the original Patentees prior to 1700 whose land grants embrace the site of the Federal City. This Monument is erected by the National Society of the Daughters of the American Colonists, April 25, 1936. — — Map (db m7971) HM
A post-Civil War building boom brought grand new houses to this convenient area. By 1881 Blanche Kelso Bruce, the first African American to serve a full term in the U.S. Senate, and Major John Wesley Powell, pioneering director of the U.S. . . . — — Map (db m130887) HM
This hotel opened February 18, 1925. Its first major event was the inaugural ball of President Calvin Coolidge. It has entertained every President since and has been the residence of a number of Vice Presidents, Cabinet members, Supreme Court . . . — — Map (db m8955) HM