Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Botetourt County Virginia Historical Markers

 
Appalachian Trail Marker (<i>wide view looking south • Appalachian Trail passes behind marker</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, May 16, 2019
Appalachian Trail Marker (wide view looking south • Appalachian Trail passes behind marker)
Virginia (Botetourt County), Blue Ridge — Appalachian TrailBlue Ridge Parkway
On Blue Ridge Parkway (at milepost 95.4), on the right when traveling north.
The Appalachian Trail crisscrosses the Blue Ridge Parkway for 100 miles in Virginia. Farther south, it winds through the Great Smoky Mountains. The trail usually follows the crest of the Appalachian chain, occasionally descending into scenic . . . — Map (db m134499) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Blue Ridge — Z-68 — Botetourt County / Bedford CountyArea 548 Square Miles / Area 791 Square Miles
On Lynchburg Salem Turnpike (U.S. 460), on the right when traveling east.
Botetourt County. Formed in 1769 from Augusta, and named for Lord Botetourt, Governor of Virginia, 1768–1770. Buchanan was the western terminus of the noted James River and Kanawha Canal. Bedford County. Formed in 1753 from . . . — Map (db m57734) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — A Bridge Over TimeBuchanan Crosses the Mighty James
On Lowe St west of Main St.
Since 1851, portions of the Buchanan Swinging Bridge have played a critical role in the Town of Buchanan’s history while providing a scenic crossing of the James River. The Buchanan Swinging Bridge you see now is 366 feet long, 57.5 feet tall at . . . — Map (db m140270) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — A-58 — Buchanan
On Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south.
The town was established in 1811 and named for Colonel John Buchanan, pioneer and soldier. It was incorporated in 1833. Its importance consisted in its being the western terminus of the James River and Kanawha Canal, which reached the town in 1851. . . . — Map (db m23810) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Buchanan & The James River & Kanawha CanalCelebrating more than two centuries of history
Near Lowe Street (County Road T-1305) west of Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling west.
Buchanan, Virginia is the western terminus of the James River & Kanawha Canal. Considered one of Virginia’s most remarkable engineering feats ever attempted, the Canal’s beginnings stretch back to 1785, when George Washington appeared before the . . . — Map (db m55794) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Buchanan Baptist Church
On Main Street at Bedford St, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Buchanan Baptist Church Dedicated on October 8, 1876 Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m140259) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Buchanan BridgeAn Artillery Duel Ensued — Hunter’s Raid —
Near Lowe Street (County Road T-1305) west of Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling west.
(preface) On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — Map (db m55777) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — H.L. Williams House
On Main St 0.2 miles south of Bedford St, on the right when traveling south.
H.L. Williams House circa 1924 Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m140375) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Kemble Building
On Main Street 0.1 miles south of Lowe St, on the right when traveling north.
Kemble Building circa 1840 Has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m140358) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — A-91 — Looney's Ferry
On Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south.
Looney's Ferry, established in 1742, was the first crossing over James River in this region. On the other side of the river was Cherry Tree Bottom, home of Colonel John Buchanan, and above the mouth of this creek stood Fort Fauquier, 1758-1763. — Map (db m23823) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Mount JoyIndustrial Connections — Hunter's Raid —
On US 11 just west of Mt. Joy Road.
On May 26, 1864, Union Gen, David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of Gen. Ulysses S. . . . — Map (db m67253) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Peaks of Otter
On Blue Ridge Parkway, on the left when traveling south.
Straight ahead are SharpTop Mountain and Flat Top Mountain. They are two of the three prominent summits that surround the Peaks of Otter area, approximately 6.5 miles distant. No one knows for certain why the area is called the Peaks of Otter. The . . . — Map (db m95955) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Star/Buchanan Theatre
On Main Street 0.1 miles north of Bedford Street, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m140373) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — The AnchorageUnexpected Guests — Hunter's Raid —
On Main Street (U.S. 11) at 15th Street (County Road T-1313), on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
(preface) On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — Map (db m55779) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — The Botetourt Artillery1861-1865 — C.S.A. —
On Main St (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south.
(East Face) In Commemoration of the deeds and services of the Buchanan Company. Organized Oct. 1859, as the Mountain Rifles Virginia Volunteers. Enlisted May 1861, in the Confederate States Army, for twelve months, as Co. 1-H-28 Regiment . . . — Map (db m23822) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Trinity Episcopal ChurchCirca 1842
On Main Street at Washington Street, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
“The new church at Buchanan deserves a word of special notice. It is chiefly the result of female enterprise. A lady well known in Virginia who occasionally visited the town, fleeing from the sultry heat of summer, determined to effect by . . . — Map (db m140359) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Trinity United Methodist Church
On Lee Highway at Washington St, on the right when traveling south on Lee Highway.
Trinity United Methodist Church 19637 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m140267) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Wilson Warehouse“Fit only for … owls and bats.” — Hunter’s Raid —
On Lowe Street (County Road T-1305) at Washington Street, on the right when traveling south on Lowe Street.
(preface) On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — Map (db m55775) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Cloverdale — A-82 — Cloverdale Furnace
On Lee Hwy (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
Here was situated Cloverdale Furnace, and early iron industry, developed by Carter Beverly, in 1808. — Map (db m62982) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Cloverdale — AK-82 — Cloverdale Furnace
On Lee Highway (U.S. 11) north of Updike Lane, on the right when traveling north.
Robert Harvey established an agricultural and industrial complex here about 1790 that processed iron ore. The operation, known as Cloverdale Furnace, expanded in the 19th century under the ownership of John Tayloe III. About 150 enslaved African . . . — Map (db m140513) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Cloverdale — A-81 — Old Carolina Road
On Lee Hwy (U.S. 11) south of 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This is the old road from Pennsylvania to the Yadkin Valley, over which in early times settlers passed going south. On it were the Black Horse Tavern and the Tinker Creek Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m62980) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Daleville — D-41 — Daleville College
On Roanoke Road (U.S. 220), on the right when traveling south.
Daleville College began as a private school that Church of the Brethren educator Isaac N. H. Beahm conducted for the children of Benjamin F. Nininger and George Layman in 1890. The construction of school buildings began the following year. In . . . — Map (db m63212) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Daleville — D-30 — Greenfield
On Roanoke Road (U.S. 220) south of International Parkway, in the median.
Half a mile west stood Greenfield, the home of Col. William Preston. According to local tradition, Stephen Rentfroe constructed a fort there in the 1740s. In 1759, Preston bought the property from Rentfroe and soon built a house that evolved into a . . . — Map (db m62983) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-39 — Botetourt County Courthouse Fire
On Main Street (Local Road T-630) at Roanoke Street (Local Road T-1204), on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
On 15 December 1970, fire gutted the 1848 Greek Revival-style Botetourt County courthouse. Amid the charred wreckage, in a secure vault, the county’s historic records fortunately survived almost unharmed. Because of the near-loss of the . . . — Map (db m84188) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-33 — Breckinridge Mill
On Breckinridge Mill Road (County Route 600) 1 mile south of Grove Hill Road (Route 606), on the left when traveling south.
Breckingridge Mill is a rare survivor of the grain and milling industry that figured significantly in the economy of antebellum Virginia. The three-and-a-half story brick structure was erected in 1822 for James Breckinridge, and is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m84225) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-28 — Fincastle
On Fincastle Road (U.S. 220) at West Main Street (Local Route T-630), on the right when traveling north on Fincastle Road.
Miller’s place here was selected as the county seat of Botetourt in 1770. In 1772 the town of Fincastle was established on land donated by Israel Christian and named for Lord Fincastle, eldest son of Governor Lord Dunmore. It was incorporated in . . . — Map (db m84192) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-29 — Fort William
On Roanoke Road (U.S. 220) at Trinity Road, on the right when traveling north on Roanoke Road.
Col. William Preston constructed Fort William nearby in 1755 during the French and Indian War (1754 – 1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia’s frontier. A group of Indians paid a friendly visit in Oct. 1755, and Col. . . . — Map (db m62979) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Fincastle — D-32 — Santillane
On Botetourt Road (U.S. 220) at Houseman Street (County Route 1211), on the left when traveling north on Botetourt Road.
Near here is Santillane, one of Botetourt County’s most distinguished properties. The Greek Revival house sits on a tract of land originally owned by Colonel George Hancock, a member of the United States Congress from 1793-1797. In 1808 . . . — Map (db m84203) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Flatwoods — D-31 — Roanoke Valley Baptist Association
On Botetourt Road (Route 220) at Poor Farm Road (Route 681), in the median on Botetourt Road.
The (Roanoke) Valley Baptist Association was organized on 7 August 1841 at nearby Zion Hill Baptist Church. Seventeen congregations constituted the original fellowship of churches; during the next century and a half membership grew to more than . . . — Map (db m84226) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Greyledge — A-92 — Cartmill's Gap
On Arcadia Road (Virginia Route 614) near Lee Highway (Virginia Route 055), on the right when traveling west.
This gap, just west, is named for Henry Cartmill who acquired land nearby on Purgatory Creek. During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), conflicts between Indians and settlers increased in this area. In 1757, Indians laid waste to several nearby . . . — Map (db m18817) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Harvey — A-48 — Audley Paul’s Fort
On Lee Highway (Route F055 Frontage Road) south of Plank Road (County Route 610), on the left when traveling north.
Nearby stood Capt. Audley Paul’s fort, built in 1757 during the French and Indian War (1754-1763) as one in a series of fortifications to protect Virginia's frontier. Paul served as a lieutenant in Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock’s ill-fated . . . — Map (db m43110) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Nace — A-80 — Coming of the Railroad
On Lee Highway (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south.
Near here took place the historic meeting of John C. Moomaw and C. M. Thomas that led to the termination of the Shenandoah Valley Railroad at Big Lick (now Roanoke), April, 1881. This was the beginning of the city of Roanoke. — Map (db m23824) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement