Suffolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number K-250.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian.
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 36° 48.133′ N, 76° 34.675′ W. Marker was in Suffolk, Virginia. Marker could be reached from Godwin Boulevard (Virginia Route 10). Location is an estimate (5.5 mi NW of Suffolk proper). Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Suffolk VA 23434, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Dumpling Island (approx. 1.2 miles away); Siege of Suffolk (approx. 3 miles away); James Bowser Plantation (approx. 3.1 miles away); Revolutionary CampCivil War Cavalry Skirmish (approx. 3.3 miles away); Nansemond Indian Villages (approx. 3Ĺ miles away); a different marker also named Siege of Suffolk (approx. 3.6 miles away); St. John's Church (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Suffolk.
More about this marker. A landmark named K-250 Reidís Ferry was among the initial ones created when the Virginia Conservation and Development Commission began the historical marker program in 1927. The commission, a predecessor of the Department of Historic Resources (DHR), used designation symbols of “letter-and-number” and a title to name its landmarks.
Most likely erected between 1927 and 1928, K-250 Reidís Ferry stood several decades before it was retired. But the symbol “K-250” was not. In 1998 it was assigned the title Nansemond Indian Villages (see nearby markers).
The background of K-250 Reidís Ferry is hazy. For example, its original location and subsequent whereabouts are difficult to pinpoint. The marker was probably moved around, its inscription possibly revised, and its frame definitely refurbished. Evidence of this is illustrated chronologically in excerpts from 20th century publications describing the marker (see below).
Additionally, the marker and the “pre-updated” K-249 Dumpling Island had similar inscribed terminology. Both contained reference to “savages,” “1608,” and “the English”.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2020, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 20, 2020, by Cynthia L. Clark of Suffolk, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.