Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethlehem in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Springhouse

1764

 
 
Springhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
1. Springhouse Marker
Inscription.  
In 1747, the Moravians fenced in the spring to keep out domestic animals and fowl. Early recoreds also state that one a year, two men were assigned to clean the spring “by the light of the moon.”

A bountiful spring was one of the reasons why in 1741, the Moravians chose to settle where the Monocacy Creek jointed the Lehigh River. The spring flowed at the rate of more than 1 million gallons of potable water per day and it never dried up or froze over.

Over the years, the Moravians constructed various kinds of enclosures around the spring to protect it from dirt and animals. After a permanent springhouse was built, it was used to store vegetables and dairy products such as cheese and butter. The current timber springhouse is a reconstruction of the kind that stood here in 1764.

The spring served as Bethlehem's water supply until 1912 when it was found to be contaminated.

[Caption for photo on marker]
The springhouse helped Moravian families in early Bethlehem to preserve perishable foods. By the late 1800s, the springhouse had been converted to commercial uses.

[Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is damaged]
 
Erected by Historic Bethlehem, HistoryWorks!, and Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraEnvironmentMan-Made FeaturesNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1747.
 
Location. 40° 37.201′ N, 75° 22.999′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Lehigh County. Marker is in the Colonial Industrial Quarter of Historic Bethlehem, along the former Ohio Road, about 50 feet east of the Tannery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tannery (a few steps from this marker); Tawery (a few steps from this marker); Butchery (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller's House (within shouting distance of this marker); Luckenbach Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Dye House (within shouting distance of this marker); Bark Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); First House of Moravian Settlement (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
 
Also see . . .  Colonial Industrial Quarter. (Submitted on February 2, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Springhouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
2. Springhouse and Marker
Looking SSE.
 
Springhouse Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
3. Springhouse Photo on Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 694 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27102

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024