Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bibb County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Absalom Pratt House Marker Side B image, Touch for more information
By Tim & Renda Carr, October 17, 2010
Absalom Pratt House Marker Side B
Alabama (Bibb County), Brierfield — Absalom Pratt House
Absalom Pratt built this house 8 miles west of here circa 1835 though a section was constructed earlier. It was moved to this site in 1994 by the Cahaba Trace Commission, restored by the Alabama Historic Ironworks Commission, 1997-98, and dedicated . . . — Map (db m37078) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Brierfield — Bibb Furnace
The Bibb County Iron Company under the direction of C. C. Huckabee of Newbern, Alabama, constructed a furnace here and poured the first iron in November 1862. Within a year, the Confederate government purchased the works and completed a second and . . . — Map (db m37090) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Brierfield — Bibb Naval Furnaces Brierfield Furnaces— ½ mile →
. . . — Map (db m37055) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Brierfield — Hayes-Morton House
Wilson Hayes constructed this typical farm house for his wife and six children just south of Six Mile around 1900. After he moved to Oklahoma c. 1915, his daughter Ollie and her husband Levert Rotenberry lived in the home until 1928. Between 1928 . . . — Map (db m37136) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Brierfield — Sunshine & Dorothy Morton HouseBrierfield Iron Works Historical State Park
Originally located off Patton Chapel Road in what is today Hoover, Alabama, the Sunshine and Dorothy Morton house was moved to the Brierfield Park in March 2005 by the Morton family and restored over the next two years by restoration specialist . . . — Map (db m37177) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Six Mile — Site of Six Mile Male And Female Academy
Years before 1859, two acres of land were donated for a school by Mr. and Mrs. Good. A two-story wooden structure was built. Among its first teachers were John Alexander, W. J. Peters, R. M. Humphries, and R. H. Pratt. Under Pratt’s leadership the . . . — Map (db m37054) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Six Mile — Six Mile Male & Female Academy Site← 300 Yards
Incorporated in 1859 though organized earlier and operated continuously through 1897. First trustees were William P. Thomas, Leroy T. McGuire, Ezekiel C. Smith, Simpson W. Hederick and Pulaski Wallace. This noted center of learning in Bibb County . . . — Map (db m37053) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), West Blocton — Belle Ellen
One and a half miles northeast of here, the mining town of Belle Ellen was established by the Bessemer Coal, Iron and Land Company in the fall of 1895 and named for Henry F. DeBardeleben's daughter, Belle, and wife, Ellen. DeBardeleben was a noted . . . — Map (db m37226) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), West Blocton — Blocton / Blocton Coke Ovens
Blocton Centered around the coke ovens, Blocton, first called Gresham, was the Cahaba Coal Mining Company town founded by Truman H. Aldrich in 1883-84. Other company officers included W. A. Clark of Muscatine, Iowa, and Cornelius Cadle, Jr., . . . — Map (db m37228) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), West Blocton — Piper / Coleanor
Side 1 Piper The town of Piper was established in 1901 a half mile northeast of here by the Little Cahaba Coal Company, named for Oliver Hazzard Perry Piper, a partner of industrialist Henry F. DeBardeleben. Two coal mines . . . — Map (db m83225) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), West Blocton — West Blocton, Alabama
West Blocton began as a business and residential community adjoining the Cahaba Coal Mining Company's town of Blocton in 1883-84. West Blocton incorporated in 1901. Eugene D. Reynolds was the first mayor, 1901-1904, followed by Dr. L.E. Peacock, . . . — Map (db m72283) HM
Alabama (Bibb County), Woodstock — Town of Woodstock
Woodstock was first settled in the 1820’s with a formal land grant to William Houston on Feb. 27, 1826. The settlement was established along the old Tuscaloosa to Huntsville Stage Coach Line. Woodstock got its name when Dr. J.U. Ray named it after . . . — Map (db m63697) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement