Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Brown County Texas Historical Markers

 
Courthouses of Brown County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kayla Harper, October 28, 2018
Courthouses of Brown County Marker
Texas (Brown County), Brownwood — Courthouses of Brown County
Brown County, created in 1856 and organized two years later, has had four courthouses. Pioneer settler Welcome William Chandler donated land for the first courthouse, a log cabin. The county moved the building twice, first two miles to the Billy . . . — Map (db m125933) HM
Texas (Brown County), Brownwood — Greenleaf Fisk (1807-1888)"Father of Brownwood"
Donor of present townsite of Brownwood, Fisk was noted as a soldier, public servant, surveyor and businessman. The son of English parents, he was born in New York. As a boy he was so studious that he voluntarily gave up recess periods to read. In . . . — Map (db m126061) HM
Texas (Brown County), Early — 2426 — Heflin Cemetery
William W. and Pency (Williams) Heflin settled here in 1875. According to local tradition the first burial was that of a child who died in 1876 from eating wild berries as his family camped on the Heflins’ property. The earliest marked grave is that . . . — Map (db m89618) HM
Texas (Brown County), Early — 5712 — Walter U. Early
A native of Kentucky, Walter Urie Early (1868-1939) moved to Brownwood in 1893. He became a respected local attorney and in 1895 was elected city attorney. He was county attorney from 1900 to 1906, and served as district attorney from 1906 to . . . — Map (db m72288) HM
Texas (Brown County), May — 12532 — May United Methodist Church
Methodists in this area were initially served by circuit-riding preachers. First to come to the region in the 1860s was the Rev. Hugh M. Childress, and worship services were held in private homes. In 1882, the Rev. Peter Gravis organized Mt. Zion . . . — Map (db m85759) HM
Texas (Brown County), May — 5377 — The May Community
Originally part of a Mexican land grant given to Empresario John Cameron in 1827. May developed in the 1870s when several pioneer families settled here. Baptists and Methodists quickly organized churches. A one-room school known as Old Swayback . . . — Map (db m89617) HM
Texas (Brown County), May — 5885 — Wolf Valley Cemetery
This cemetery originally served pioneer settlers of the Wolf Valley community, which began about 1875. The earliest grave is that of S.T. Tollette, who was buried here May 11, 1882. Also buried that same month were James Lyon and R.P. Ramsey. The . . . — Map (db m89616) HM
Texas (Brown County), Zephyr — 1686 — First Baptist Church of Zephyr
The organizational meeting for this congregation was held at the home of John J. Driskill in 1886. The twelve charter members were first led by Pastor J.B. Greenfield, who served only one month, and then by J.A. Jarrett. The Baptist fellowship . . . — Map (db m89651) HM
Texas (Brown County), Zephyr — Original Location of Zephyr1863 – 1885
The first store and post office and 17 families were on the banks of Blanket Creek. Brown County Historical Landmark Site — Map (db m89653) HM
Texas (Brown County), Zephyr — 5948 — Zephyr Cemetery
The unincorporated town of Zephyr, located on land granted to early settlers Benjamin Head and Felix Wardziski, was established in the 1860s. As the settlement grew, a school was opened in the 1870s, and churches and businesses were established. . . . — Map (db m89654) HM
Texas (Brown County), Zephyr — 5949 — Zephyr Gospel Tabernacle
In 1898 John N. Coffey (1847-1919) and John Schwalm (1825-1900) deeded this site for a community tabernacle. Townspeople donated labor and material to erect this open air shelter and to rebuild it after damage from a 1909 cyclone that devastated . . . — Map (db m89652) HM
Texas (Brown County), Zephyr — 5951 — Zephyr Presbyterian Church
The congregation of the Zephyr Presbyterian Church traces its history to 1890. In 1909 members of the church and community volunteers, with the assistance of Swiss stonemason John Chailette completed a church building. Worship services were held . . . — Map (db m89650) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.