Bective Abbey — from Mainistir Bheigthí (Abbey of Beigtheach)
This Cistercian abbey was founded in 1147 as a “daughter house” of Mellifont Abbey.
The community here was Anglo-Norman. In 1386 men of Irish birth . . . — — Map (db m24752) HM
Author of “The Red Flag”
which became the anthem of the
International Labour Movement
Born Rathniska, Kilskyre 1852
Died Lewisham, London 1929
Oh, grant me an ownerless corner of earth,
Or pick me a hillock of stones, . . . — — Map (db m27347) HM
Erected by the People of
Culmullen and District
to the memory of the Men and Women
of Wexford and Meath
who died for their Country
and lie buried in the surrounding area
There were two periods of intense
Rising activity around . . . — — Map (db m33354) HM
Donaghmore Church and Round Tower
A monastery was reputedly founded here in the 5th century by St Patrick, who placed it in the care of St Cassán, whose relics were venerated here. The Round Tower was not built until the 11th or 12th century. . . . — — Map (db m22542) HM
Close to the Courthouse along the western perimeter of the village green is Connell's House, the oldest house in Duleek. This building was in existence at the time of the famous Battle of the Boyne in 1690. — — Map (db m24793) HM
The Memorial Garden
is named after
Vol. Joe Coombes, Platin Road.
Vol. Noel Gallagher, Mountfield, Co. Tyrone
Vol. Harry McCormick, Prioryland, Duleek
and is in memory of
all those who dedicated their lives
to . . . — — Map (db m27220) HM
Duleek Courthouse was built in 1838 by John Trotter as a sessions house for the Meath Grand Jury. It was designed by Francis Johnston. The main architectural features are the Doric door-case and fanlight, a simplified eaves pediment and corner . . . — — Map (db m24803) HM
The original house was built in 1795. It was built in three stages and was acquired by Fr John Kearney to accommodate the parish priest and the curate. It was re-roofed in 1993 and presides over the very elegant village green.
At the back of the . . . — — Map (db m24801) HM
One of the great churches of the 12th century, St. Mary's Abbey, was built by the Augustinians on lands presented to them by Hugh de Lacy, Overlord of Meath.
In the 1500s a massive square tower was built alongside the earlier round tower. The . . . — — Map (db m26384) HM
William of Orange and Mary accepted the throne of England in 1698, supplanting King James II who took refuge with his ally and sponsor Louis XIV of France. The tensions between James and William would reach their highpoint in 1690 at the battle of . . . — — Map (db m24802) HM
An introduction to Fordstown
Fordstown is named after the Norman-Irish Ford family, who lived in the area. One part of the townland is sometimes referred to as Ballaghboy. Today, Fordstown is a growing, vibrant community. ‘Fordstown Street . . . — — Map (db m27318) HM
Here rest the remains of
Silvester O'Dempsey Esq.
Who departed this life the 31 Dec. 1817
In the 70 year of his age
of the most steady Friendship
Unblemished Integrity extensive charity
This frail . . . — — Map (db m26423) HM
Headfort Place was purposely widened and lined with trees in the 18th century to make it a suitable setting for its attractive Georgian houses. It is also here that a site for a parish church was donated to the Roman Catholic community by Lord . . . — — Map (db m27339) HM
The courthouse, built in 1801, was designed by the prominent Irish architect Francis Johnston. Johnston also designed the General Post Office and Nelson's Pillar in Dublin, and Townley Hall, County Louth.
A Vantage Point to the Past . . . — — Map (db m27340) HM
This tower is located on the grounds of St Columba's church and was built in the 10th century as part of the early Christian monastery. Such towers were referred to as a cloigteach meaning bell tower. Modelled on early Italian belfries, they were . . . — — Map (db m26440) HM
This 9th century high cross, the cross of the gate of the Kells monastery, is one of five high crosses still surviving in Kells. The cross of the gate, currently at or near its original site, was a termon cross and signified that a fugitive could . . . — — Map (db m27341) HM
Diarmuld MacCarroll, High King of Tara, is said to have granted the dun of Cenannus to St Columcille in the 6th century for the purpose of establishing a monastery. This may explain why in 804 the Columban community on the island of Iona . . . — — Map (db m26444) HM
Suffolk Street is an anglicisation of the ancient name Siofac, the meaning of which is today uncertain. The Annals of the Four Masters mentions a fire in 1156 burning the area of Kells from the cross of the gate to Siofoic. The name . . . — — Map (db m26424) HM
This wall marks the boundary of the original monastery and was rebuilt in 1714. When part of the wall collapsed after heavy rains in 1997, it was discovered to have no foundation. It was rebuilt again in 1998, this time with reinforced bulwarks. — — Map (db m26402) HM
to the memory of the poor
during the operation
English Poor Law System.
1838 - 1921.
R. I. P.
In the immediate aftermath
of the Great ‘Famine’, this mass
burial place was opened in 1851 for . . . — — Map (db m27326) HM
The tower, a mock lighthouse, was erected in 1791 by the First Earl of Bective in memory of his father Sir Thomas Taylor. The architect was Henry Baker who completed the design of the Kings Inns in Dublin after Gandon. The tower has an internal . . . — — Map (db m27324) HM
Within the great mound of Knowth there are two passage-tombs and around it, eighteen satellite tombs. The site remained a focal point for over 4,000 years. There is evidence of occupation from 3,000 B.C. to 1,200 A.D.
This project has been . . . — — Map (db m27219) HM
The Woodhenge/Pit circle
If you were here 4000 years ago in the Early Bronze Age you would be standing inside a large wooden enclosure. The passage tomb was no longer in use at this time but the site was still a focal point for ritual and . . . — — Map (db m22522) HM
Long established tradition tells that St. Patrick lit the Easter Fire on this Hill of Slane in 433. In doing so, he unwittingly disobeyed King Laoghaire at nearby Tara.
The inevitable confrontation had a happy outcome: Laoghaire's druid, Erk, . . . — — Map (db m22538) HM
It is believed that in 433 AD, the first Christian missionary to Ireland, later known as St. Patrick, lit a large celebration fire here on the Hill of Slane.
Soon after St Patrick, a monastery associated with St Earc was built . . . — — Map (db m22533) HM
The Hill of Tara is Ireland's most revered ancient landscape, a place where monuments, myths and memories combine to create an icon of national identity.
Tara was the chief pagan sanctuary of early Ireland, an arena for ceremony, burial . . . — — Map (db m92091) HM
The priory of Newtowntrim was founded in 1202 by Simon de Rochfort, Bishop of Meath, for a community of Augustinian canons (priests). As well as functioning as part of the monastery, the church became the cathedral for the diocese of Meath after . . . — — Map (db m27240) HM