Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Habersham County Georgia Historical Markers

 
Blair Line Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, June 18, 2011
Blair Line Marker
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-1 — Blair Line
On Clarkesville Highway (Georgia Route 115) 0.1 miles west of Cannon Bridge Road (Georgia Route 105), on the right when traveling east.
The historic Blair line between the State of Georgia and the Cherokee Nation crossed this highway at this point. This line was surveyed by James Blair in the early 1800s. It ran from the forks of the Soque and Chattahoochee rivers in a direct . . . — Map (db m43670) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — Clarkesville War Memorial
On Washington Street at Monroe Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Washington Street.
All Gave Much These Gave All — Map (db m90210) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-8 — Grace Protestant Episcopal Church
On Wilson Street at East Green Street, on the right when traveling north on Wilson Street.
The first Episcopal service in Clarkesville was held Oct. 28, 1838 by the Rev. Mr. Ezra B. Kellogg, sent from N. Y. to the Diocese of Georgia as a missionary to this section. On Dec. 12, 1838, at his home, Grace Church was organized for three local . . . — Map (db m14384) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-8 — Habersham County
On Monroe Street (Georgia Route 115) at Washington Street (Georgia Route 197), on the right when traveling west on Monroe Street.
Habersham County was created by Acts of the Legislature, Dec. 15, 1818, and named for Joseph Habersham (1751–1815), of Savannah, who had a summer home near Clarkesville. He served in the Revolution as a Lieut. Col. in the Ga. Continental line; . . . — Map (db m40283) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-11 — Living & Learning In The Mountains
On Georgia Route 197 0.1 miles south of Sutton Mill Road, on the right when traveling north.
Three local citizens, W. M. Loggans, B. B. Heyward and W. P. Furr, donated 300 acres of prime farm land to entice location of the Ninth District School of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, a boarding high school, on this site. Since 1906, thousands . . . — Map (db m14522) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-7 — Summer Home of Joseph Habersham
On Hollywood Highway (Old U.S. 441) 0.1 miles north of New Liberty Road, on the left when traveling north.
This was the summer home of Joseph Habersham of Savannah (1751-1815), Georgia patriot, Revolutionary War hero, and political leader. He was a Colonel in the Continental Army, a member of Continental Congress, and of the Georgia Convention that . . . — Map (db m43697) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-4 — The Unicoi Turnpike ← →
On Hollywood Highway (Old U.S. 441) at Buckhorn Road (County Route 129), on the right when traveling north on Hollywood Highway.
The Unicoi Turnpike, first vehicular route to connect North Georgia and Tennessee with the head of navigation on the Savannah River system, passed here. Beginning on the Tugalo River to the east of Toccoa, the road led this way, thence across . . . — Map (db m43671) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Clarkesville — 068-9 — Toombs-Bleckley House
On Jefferson Street 0.7 miles west of Rocky Branch Road, on the left when traveling south.
On this site Colonel S. A. Wales built a house in 1833. Robert A. Toombs (1810-1885). United States Congressman, Senator, and Secretary of State, of the Confederate States, purchased it in 1879 for a summer home. General Toombs sold the property to . . . — Map (db m27956) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Cornelia — Hilliard Almond Wilbanks Memorial-Medal of Honor Recipient
On Wyly Street.
Memorial to Hilliard Almond Wilbanks-Awarded the Medal of Honor in the name of Congress. Rank-Captain United States Air Force; Organization-21st Tactical Air Support Squadron, Nha Trang Air Force Base; Mortally Wounded-near Dalat, Republic of . . . — Map (db m62192) WM
Georgia (Habersham County), Cornelia — 068-2 — Indian War Trail
On South Main Street (U.S. 129/441) at Dolston Street, on the left when traveling north on South Main Street.
This highway runs along the divide between the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. On the south the waters run into the Broad and Savannah rivers to the Atlantic Ocean. Waters on the north run into Chattahoochee and Apalachicola rivers and the . . . — Map (db m21065) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — 068-5 — Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co. <------<<<<
On Habersham Mills Village Drive just south of Habersham Mills Complex Drive, on the left when traveling south.
On the site of the Habersham Cotton Mills stood the Habersham Iron Works and Manufacturing Co., incorporated in late 1837 when this section of the state was Indian country. Jarvis Van Buren, a cousin of President Martin Van Buren and a pioneer . . . — Map (db m15310) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — 068-11 — Home of Johnny Mize “The Big Cat”
On Georgia Street at Oak Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Georgia Street.
National Baseball Hall of Fame member John Robert Mize was born in this house in 1913. While only 15 years old and still in high school, Mize launched his distinguished baseball career playing for Piedmont College. He began his major league career . . . — Map (db m23665) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — John Robert Mize " The Big Cat "
On Oak Avenue at Georgia Street, on the right when traveling south on Oak Avenue.
Born and raised in Demorest, Mr. Mize was a keen-eyed slugger who smashed 359 home runs and batted 312 in 15-year career while topping 300 mark nine seasons in a row. Set major loop records by hitti8ng three homers 8n a game six times and trio in . . . — Map (db m56250) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — 068-12 — Piedmont College
On Oak Avenue at Georgia Street, on the right when traveling south on Oak Avenue.
Piedmont College is an accredited, independent, coeducational, liberal arts college, open to all regardless of race, sex, or creed. Founded under auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the College was chartered September 6, 1897 by Habersham . . . — Map (db m56248) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement