Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hockley County Texas Historical Markers

 
City of Levelland Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, April 29, 2014
City of Levelland Marker
Texas (Hockley County), Levelland — 888 — City of Levelland
Surveyed and platted in 1912 as “Hockley City” by cereal magnate C.W. Post. Although only a barren townsite, place won race for county seat in 1921. The first meeting of county officers was held at future courthouse site — in a . . . — Map (db m73655) HM
Texas (Hockley County), Levelland — 2506 — Hockley County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized February 19, 1921 Named in honor of George W. Hockley Commander of the artillery at San Jacinto. Secretary of War of the Republic of Texas. Died in 1851. . . . — Map (db m73654) HM
Texas (Hockley County), Levelland — 16687 — Hockley County Cemetery
The Texas Legislature created Hockley County in 1876 but the county did not formally organize until 1921; the small settlement of Hockley City (now Levelland) was named the county seat in that year. The arrival of the Santa Fe railroad in 1925 . . . — Map (db m73656) HM
Texas (Hockley County), Ropesville — 16474 — Ropesville Cemetery
In 1917, local rancher I.L. Ellwood negotiated a deal with the Santa Fe railroad to build tracks through his Spade Ranch in order to connect the towns of Lubbock and Seagraves. Ellwood offered the company 85 acres in exchange for the construction of . . . — Map (db m73528) HM
Texas (Hockley County), Ropesville — 4345 — Ropesville Resettlement Project
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) was enacted in 1933 as part of U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal Program to aid families during the country's Great Depression. The Rural Rehabilitation Division of that agency began in . . . — Map (db m73530) HM
Texas (Hockley County), Ropesville — 4874 — Site of Primrose SchoolAbout One-Half Mile Southwest
First public school in Hockley County; named for a wild prairie flower. In 1902 homesteaders had begun farming here. By 1909 their children needed education, so the parents hauled lumber by wagon from Big Spring (about 100 mi. S), donated labor, and . . . — Map (db m73524) HM
Texas (Hockley County), Smyer — 5430 — The Spade Ranch
Founded by Isaac L. Ellwood (1833-1910), inventor who made a fortune in barbed wire, and bought (1889) from veteran cattlemen D.H. and J.W. Snyder an 8 x 25-mile range (128,000 acres) in Hale, Hockley, Lamb and Lubbock counties. This range was used . . . — Map (db m73617) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.