Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Isabella County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Veterans Memorial Peace Grove & Central Michigan University Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., August 4, 2011
Veterans Memorial Peace Grove & Central Michigan University Marker
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — 133 — Central Michigan University
Privately organized by citizens of Mt. Pleasant in 1892, Central became Michigan's second state-supported normal school in 1895. This met a long-felt need for a state school in this region. At first the college was designed to prepare rural and . . . — Map (db m45876) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L223 — Doughty House
Built about 1865 this oldest remaining house in Mt. Pleasant was purchased by Wilkinson Doughty in 1869. An early hardware and dry goods merchant, Doughty was a town trustee, and a founder of Central Michigan Normal School, now Central Michigan . . . — Map (db m91750) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L1298 — Indian Cemetery
In the 1850s, the Methodist Episcopal (Indian) Church established the Bradley Mission School and Indian Cemetery in this area. The cemetery served the mission until the late 1860s. Only a few grave markers are visible and it is not known how many . . . — Map (db m91737) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — Isabella County Courthouse and Jail
A few years after the construction of the Isabella County Courthouse, pictured in the background, the county jail was erected on the courthouse square. Sanborn Insurance maps for 1884 show the jail at this location. This potcard view, dating from . . . — Map (db m98920) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — Isabella County Courthouse Postcards
For all of its importance, very few postcard views exist of the courthouse. This is one of the best cards, a view from the mid nineteen thirties. After about six years of discussion a major addition to the courthouse took place in 1926. The addition . . . — Map (db m98922) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L2080 — Isabella County Seat / The Founding of Mount Pleasant

Isabella County Seat The state legislature organized Isabella County on February 11, 1859. A commission appointed by the governor established the county seat as Isabella Centre. To encourage settlement on land he owned in Isabella . . . — Map (db m91762) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L1657 — Sacred Heart Academy
In 1889, Sacred Heart Academy was organized as a school for St. Charles Church, which was established in 1872. That year a new church was built here and the parish was renamed Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Father John J. Crowley moved the old church . . . — Map (db m91751) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — L189 — St. John's Episcopal Church
A mission was organized in Mount Pleasant in 1876, and in 1882 the present building was begun. Local businessman William N. Brown contributed most of the building funds, and the bricks and lumber were made in his plants. The interior design of St. . . . — Map (db m91749) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — The Isabella County Court House was already over thirty years old...
when this postcard view looking northeast from near present day Main and Mosher Streets round-about. At the time of its completion in 1877 the courthouse was only large public building in the county. The seed money to build the courthouse came . . . — Map (db m98925) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.