Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lynn County Texas Historical Markers

 
O'Donnell Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, November 11, 2017
O'Donnell Marker
Texas (Lynn County), O'Donnell — 3630 — O'Donnell
Named for Tom J. O'Donnell, promoter of South Plains Railroads, including 60 miles of Santa Fe Line from Slaton to Lamesa. On this new railroad (important as freight hauler) town of O'Donnell was founded in 1909 by H. E. Baldridge and Charles H. . . . — Map (db m110306) HM
Texas (Lynn County), O'Donnell — 55 — The A. J. Warren Building
Farmer and rancher A. J. Warren (1870-1933) moved to this area in 1902 and helped to organize Lynn County in 1903. He built this 2-story brick and concrete edifice in 1925 to house the First National Bank, chartered that year. Competition from . . . — Map (db m110307) HM
Texas (Lynn County), Tahoka — 3153 — Lynn County
Created 1876 from Bexar Territory. Name honors G. W. Lynn, "One of those who baptized the altar of Texas with life blood at the Alamo". Tahoka Lake and Double Lakes Springs were watering places on Indian, Spanish, U. S. Army and cattle-driving . . . — Map (db m110341) HM
Texas (Lynn County), Tahoka — 3152 — Lynn County
. . . — Map (db m110353) HM
Texas (Lynn County), Tahoka — 15274 — Lynn County Courthouse
In 1876 the Texas legislature created Lynn County, which organized in 1903 with Tahoka as county seat. A two-story frame structure on this site served as courthouse until citizens approved a bond election for the current building in Jul. 1915. . . . — Map (db m110344) HM
Texas (Lynn County), Tahoka — Lynn County CourthouseState Archeological Landmark
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m110347) HM
Texas (Lynn County), Tahoka — 5190 — Tahoka
In Dec. 1902, over 100 people met around a bonfire in a ravine to the southwest of Tahoka Lake and voted to petition for county organization and to select a townsite for a county seat to be named "Tahoka," an Indian word meaning "fresh water", Early . . . — Map (db m110349) HM
Texas (Lynn County), Wilson — 4827 — Site of Mackenzie Cavalry Camp
At or near this spot, Colonel Ranald S. Mackenzie, with two companies of United States 4th Cavalry, was overtaken on Dec. 4, 1874, by a snowstorm. Forced to spend the night here without wood or water, or grass for the horses, troops called this the . . . — Map (db m110539) HM
Texas (Lynn County), Wilson — 4999 — Spanish Explorers' Route
A prehistoric road discovered and used by Indians, Spaniards, United States Army units, and cattle drovers. It crossed the Llano Estacado from Gholson Spring (7 mi. E. of present-day Slaton), to Tahoka Lake (3 mi. S. of Wilson), then to Tobacco . . . — Map (db m110538) HM
Texas (Lynn County), Wilson — 5857 — Wilson Mercantile Company
Founded 1910 by William Green, son of a family who settled in South Texas more than a century ago. The townsite was part of four leagues of Wilson County school lands bought 1906 by Green and Associates. Green later bought out his associates, . . . — Map (db m110537) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.