Albertville, located in Marshall County in northeast Alabama, was named for Thomas A. Albert, one of the first area residents. It lies on Sand Mountain, a plateau approximately 25 miles wide and 75 miles long. Albertville was . . . — — Map (db m78706) HM
The City of Albertville traces its origin here to 406 East Main Street, where on Jan. 13, 1860, James C. Miller (1833-1862) established a post office in his log cabin home, which also doubled as the community’s first store. Miller, who was later . . . — — Map (db m78710) HM
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of . . . — — Map (db m85848) HM WM
The West Main Street Cemetery was established in the late 1850’s by the Jones Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, which was located nearby. Among notable persons buried here are: Thomas A. Albert (1796-1876), for whom Albertville is named; W. . . . — — Map (db m39069) HM
The Alabama Legislature passed an act in February of 1893 calling for the construction of agricultural schools to be built in each of Alabama’s congressional districts. The city of Albertville was chosen as the site for the seventh congressional . . . — — Map (db m78709) HM
A congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church North erected a log church, possibly named Pleasant Hill Methodist Church, adjacent to this cemetery in 1883. The church served as Arab's first school. The earliest marked grave is 1883, though older . . . — — Map (db m42594) HM
Starting as an ancient Indian trail, the north–south road through Arab in 1816 was known as Bear Meat Cabin Road. By 1818, it had become an important Federal trade route through the Alabama Territory known as the St. Stephens – . . . — — Map (db m40134) HM
Brashier's Chapel community was named for Hiram Brashier who emigrated from South Carolina in 1885 and settled near the present day Brashier's Chapel Cemetery. The oldest grave dates to 1866 and is for Mary Tuttle, the maternal grandmother of . . . — — Map (db m83810) HM
The Farmer’s Exchange was a focal point of commerce during the early years of the young town of Arab. Farmers exchanged their corn, eggs, butter, hides and other agricultural products for a barrel of flour, a stand of lard or other . . . — — Map (db m40627) HM
In the early 1900s, students from Arab enrolled at Albertville High School because Arab didn’t have a high school. One group, called the “Brindlee Mountain Boys”, would travel to Guntersville by buggy and then by train to Albertville to . . . — — Map (db m85850) HM
Founded on September 5, 1912, by 40 charter members, First Baptist Church is the second oldest church located within Arab’s original town limits of one square mile. The church was first located just off South Main Street on Fry Gap Road. The Rev. . . . — — Map (db m40136) HM
Founded in 1892 under the leadership of the Rev. B.O.H. Cochran, this is the oldest church congregation inside Arab’s original town limits of one square mile. Twenty-eight names were listed on the church’s original membership roll. Affiliated with . . . — — Map (db m42593) HM
Located on the hilltop 500 feet southwest of here. Fry Cemetery typifies rural valley-and-ridge community cemeteries of the 1800s. The Fry family emigrated from Virginia to this area when it was still part of the Mississippi Territory. Revolutionary . . . — — Map (db m85851) HM
Gilliam Springs Baptist Church was founded by nine charter members on November 25, 1882, under the leadership of the Rev. P.J. Corley in the Gilliam Springs School. The log school was located on the east side of North Main Street in the vicinity of . . . — — Map (db m40133) HM
The church was founded on March 14, 1886 by charter members R.J. Riddle, Julie Riddle, W.J. Wright, A. M. Preston, W.B. Scott and F.E. Scott. It is named after Shoal Creek, which rises up less than a mile from the church grounds and empties into the . . . — — Map (db m68785) HM
Indirectly responsible for the naming of the town, Stephen Tuttle Thompson was born Feb. 22, 1832, in Rhea County, Tennessee. He moved to west Marshall County with his parents about 1840 and relocated in 1858 to what became Thompson’s Village and . . . — — Map (db m85852) HM
Organized by 1847 as one of the first churches on Sand Mountain. First meeting house erected 1855; buildings at present site constructed about 1885 and 1927. Preachers included Samuel Tyler, Levi Isbell, Jacob K. Dowdy, James R. Isbell, James R. . . . — — Map (db m85853) HM
Side A Informally called Sparkstown for a period of time, the city of Boaz was officially named after the husband of Ruth, a Biblical character in the Old Testament. Incorporated in March 1897, Boaz quickly began to "set a pace for her . . . — — Map (db m39156) HM
Constructed in 1937, the Florence H. Becker Recreation Hall was named in honor of Florence Hague Becker, President General of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution from 1935 to 1938. The vertically placed pine logs used in the . . . — — Map (db m33312) HM
Grant, Alabama is located atop Gunter Mountain at 1310 feet of elevation. It is surrounded by the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and overlooks Historic Kennamer Cove. The post office was established here on May 18, 1887 and the town was . . . — — Map (db m85854) HM
(Side A) In 1924, the Alabama Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) established Kate Duncan Smith School to provide a patriotic education dedicated to academic achievement and service to "God, Home, and Country" for . . . — — Map (db m33308) HM
Built as a water tower in 1937
By her husband in honor of
Mrs. Harper Donelson Sheppard
Pennsylvania State Regent
And created a Bell Tower in 1973
Upon the installation of a Carillion
By the Pennsylvania Daughters
In honor . . . — — Map (db m76232) HM
28-29, July, 1862 Guntersville shelled-burned by Union Artillery, Cavalry and Infantry.
Skirmish at Fearn's, Law's, Matthew's Landings and Ft. Deposit.
1, May 1862 - Sand Mountain Cavalry Battle - CSA Gen. Forrest - Union Col. Streight. . . . — — Map (db m85857) HM
January 15, 1865 was perhaps the darkest day in the history of Guntersville. At noon, forty Federal marines from the gunboat U.S.S. General Grant were sent to burn the town. After the mission was completed, only seven buildings remained standing . . . — — Map (db m85902) HM
(Side A) This area's proximity to the Tennessee River and Indian trails made it a crossroads for early habitation, settlement, and trade. Archaeological studies reveal it was first inhabited about 12,000 years ago by Paleo-Indians. They . . . — — Map (db m33305) HM
The first major attack on Guntersville during the Civil War occurred on the morning of Monday, July 28, 1862. The Federals had marched by night and had reached a hill on the north side of the Tennessee River and from this vantage point aimed their . . . — — Map (db m22253) HM
Honoring those who served in combat - Especially those who made the supreme sacrificeWorld War I
Mashburn, Millard J.
Shuttleworth, Walter F.
Searcy, Charles H.
Parrish, Steve R. . . . — — Map (db m53153) HM