Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mason County Texas Historical Markers

 
Kothmann Homesite and Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Henderson, July 10, 2011
Kothmann Homesite and Cemetery Marker
Texas (Mason County), Art — 11282 — Kothmann Homesite and Cemetery
Heinrich Conrad Kothmann (1798-1881) and his wife Ilse Katherine Pahlmann (1810-1905) and their family sailed from Germany to Indianola, Texas in 1845. Among the first families to settle in Fredericksburg, the Kothmanns were issued a 640 acre land . . . — Map (db m44445) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11269 — Bethel M.E. Church
Built 1862. Second church of any faith in Mason County. Housed first school in the county. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 — Map (db m91747) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11297 — Dizenia Peters Todd(Aug. 5, 1826 - Jan. 1865)
Born in Mississippi, Dizenia Peters moved to Texas with her parents about 1835. She married William P. Smith in 1844, and had a son, James. After Smith’s death, she married George W. Todd (1827-1901) in 1851; they had 3 daughters. Todd and members . . . — Map (db m91933) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11277 — Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A.
(front side) Fort Mason, located 5 blocks south, was headquarters for the first regiment Texas Mounted Rifles 1861-62. These Confederate troops occupied the line of old U. S. forts to give protection against Indians. 215 . . . — Map (db m118232) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11283 — Herman and Willie Lehmann
German immigrants Moritz and Auguste Lehmann settled along Squaw Creek (4 mi. w) in the 1850s. After Moritz’s death, Auguste married Phillip Buchmeier. On May 16, 1870, two of the Lehmann children, Herman (age 10) and Willie (age 8) were captured by . . . — Map (db m90986) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11288 — Homesite of John O. Meusebach, 1812-1897(1/4 mi. se, in Loyal Valley)
By 1848, German colonization reached area under direction of John O. Meusebach, who succeeded Prince Carol of Solms-Braunfels as colony leader and who signed treaty with Comanches allowing peaceful settlement of the land between the Llano and San . . . — Map (db m90956) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11285 — Mason County
Created January 22, 1858, and organized August 2, 1858, this county was named for its most important settlement, Fort Mason.      Garrisoned intermittently from July 6, 1851, to March 23, 1869, Fort Mason was named for Lt. G.T. Mason of the United . . . — Map (db m91741) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11286 — Mason County Courthouse
Constructed in 1909, this is the third courthouse to serve the people of Mason County. Commissioners Court probably met in other locations until the first courthouse was built in 1872. It burned in 1877 and was replaced that year by a second red . . . — Map (db m118894) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11287 — Mason County Jail
A good example of a small, nineteenth-century jail, this structure was built in 1894 from the brown sandstone available in the nearby hills. The ground floor of the county's third jail includes living quarters for the sheriff, while the jail . . . — Map (db m118199) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 13019 — Mason National Bank
Throughout the 1890s, private banking institutions sporadically served Mason residents. In December 1903, several pioneer settlers met to form a new bank. It received its authorization in January 1904 as the German American National Bank of . . . — Map (db m118200) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11276 — Old Fort Mason
Situated near a spring long used by Indians; built of stone quarried from Post Hill. Fort helped protect Texas frontier from Indians. Colonel Robert E. Lee stationed in Texas 2 years, commanded Fort Mason from Feb. 1860 to Feb. 1861. Here he made . . . — Map (db m90948) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 17658 — Peter's Prairie School
During the 1850s and 1860s, Mason County landowner “Major” Joshua Peters, supplied cut prairie grasses from here to Fort Mason for their horses. The community which developed took the name Peter’s Prairie. In 1877, John Rhoads and W.H. . . . — Map (db m90947) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11275 — Site of Fort Mason
Established July 6, 1851 by the U. S. Army as a protection to the frontier Named in honor of Lieut. George T. Mason, killed in action near Brownsville, April 25, 1846 Albert Sidney Johnston, George H. Thomas, Earl Van Dorn and Robert E. Lee, of . . . — Map (db m29972) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11298 — Todd Mountain
Named for family of George W. Todd, first Mason County clerk, which was attacked by Indians at this site while en route to Mason in late Dec. 1864.      A 12-year-old black servant girl was killed, 13-year-old Alice Todd taken captive, and Todd’s . . . — Map (db m91934) HM
Texas (Mason County), Mason — 11296 — Two Sheriffs of Mason County
A native of Kentucky, Thomas S. Milligan (1810-1860) moved to this area in 1855 and operated a change station for the stage line. He was also a rancher and supplied beef to the soldiers at Fort Mason. Shortly after Mason County was organized in 1858 . . . — Map (db m90949) HM
Texas (Mason County), Pontotoc — 11294 — Pontotoc and San Fernando Academy(Site of Academy is 100 yards north)
Pontotoc, settled about 1859, was named by first merchant, M.R. Kidd, for his former home town in Mississippi. Post office was opened in 1878 in the B.J. Willis home, with Mrs. Willis postmaster.      Founded by interested citizens, San Fernando . . . — Map (db m91458) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.